360 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 606.1K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 409.8K
PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS SONY Mar-08 340.5K
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII SQUARE ENIX INC Mar-08 301.6K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK ACTIVISION Oct-07 264.1K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE Mar-08 237.1K
360 *CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE ACTIVISION Nov-07 237K
PS3 ARMY OF TWO ELECTRONIC ARTS Mar-08 224.9K

Amazing brawl numbers! Chalk up 2 more million sellers for the 360.

360 and PS3 hardware close but nothing major in terms of numbers.

Wii destorys both. Anyone who still calls it a fad is a proper tard.

For my own sanity and readability:

Code:
Industry Sales
                        Mar-07  Mar-08 CHG
Total Video Games        $1.1B   $1.7B 57%
Video Games Hardware   $377.9M $551.3M 46%
Video Games Software   $579.1M $945.6M 63%
Video Game Accessories $139.5M   $220M 58%

HW Sales Mar-08

PS2  216K
PS3  257K
PSP  297K
X360 262K
NDS  698K
Wii  721K

SW Sales Mar-08
Top-Selling VG Software

WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL        Mar-08 2.7M
360 RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2           Mar-08 752.3K
360 ARMY OF TWO                    Mar-08 606.1K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE                 Feb-07 409.8K
PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS  Mar-08 340.5K
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII Mar-08 301.6K
WII GUITAR HERO III                Oct-07 264.1K
360 MLB 2K8                        Mar-08 237.1K
360 *CALL OF DUTY 4                Nov-07 237K
PS3 ARMY OF TWO                    Mar-08 224.9K

I cant believe how popular FPS are, especially on 360, that two mediocre 2nd tier (imo) ones like Army of Two and R6V2 sold so well.

And oh yeah uh, Wii, uh, pretty insane.

Looks like PSP might be trending a bit more like Japan, showing a lot of strength. Though in hardware it's still all DS.

Low numbers on 360 and PS3. When adjusted to weekly, they're both going to be down from Feb rates.

I'm really glad to see the two high profile PSP titles (GoW and FFCC) do well, especially since both are excellent games that really wouldn't have deserved the generally low PSP SW sales.

700k goes somewhat to repair the discrepency with wii's sales numbers.
still looking like 6 more months until the wii overtakes the xb360 in the US, though GTA4 happening next month may change this although then again this maybe counterbalenced by mariokart + wii-fit
NPDmarA.png

NPDmarB.png

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1742291620080417
"We said as our supply issue lifted that we'd be back in the game," said Microsoft spokesman David Dennis. "For the most part we're in good supply throughout the retail channel. There are still pockets of shortage, but for most part you can go into a store and find an Xbox 360."

I'm a little surprised that 360 didn't sell more than PS3 because of delayed purchases.
If January and February differences between PS3 and 360 were mainly due to supply limitations, surely some of customers who failed previously, would buy in March.

If GTA4 was not coming, I would agree with those who think they need a price cut.
Now however, it will be interesting to watch GTAIV effect.

Low numbers on 360 and PS3. When adjusted to weekly, they're both going to be down from Feb rates.
What about previous March?
It may be better to look at year-to-year instead month-to-month.

And in the "why does anyone ever listen to Pachter anymore" category...

Pachter's estimates:
Wii: 700K
PS3: 365K
360: 310K

I was wondering where these mythical >300K numbers were going to come from considering it's a) March, and b) There's nothing out that would be a system seller.

On the other hand, where the hell is the Wii getting it's legs from? It's certainly not the games. The only time I've turned mine on in the last few months is to browse the web.

Maybe I'm just not the target audience. I can't stand those frenetic crazy hopping games like Smash Bros, Sonic, and pretty much every other nintendo game ever made except for Zelda, and I generally play by myself, so party games are out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1742291620080417

I'm a little surprised that 360 didn't sell more than PS3 because of delayed purchases.
If January and February differences between PS3 and 360 were mainly due to supply limitations, surely some of customers who failed previously, would buy in March.

If GTA4 was not coming, I would agree with those who think they need a price cut.
Now however, it will be interesting to watch GTAIV effect.

360 still needs a price cut.

On the other hand, where the hell is the Wii getting it's legs from?

It should be driven by the software. Wii games dominated the chart this month too.

betan said:

Last year March, PS3 was still @ US$599, I am sure the difference is great.

Both the HD consoles pale when compared to Wii.

360 still needs a price cut.
Maybe, maybe not. GTA4 is an unknown factor, as is MS' GTA4 marketing.

Both the HD consoles pale when compared to Wii.
Wii's absolute domination is a little boring though.
To make up for it, let me speculate and spin:
The reason behind increased NA Wii supply is decreased PAL demand, and Nintendo is wisely shifting supply. :)

It should be driven by the software. Wii games dominated the chart this month too.

Last year March, PS3 was still @ US$599, I am sure the difference is great.
Correction, a Wii game dominated the charts. I con't really count Wii play, since it's really an addon extra remote sale. Pretty much all of the Wii's software momentum this month was Smash Bros, and that probably because there's just nothing else to play.

On the other hand, I played Lost Oddysey, Eternal Sonata, grabbed the DLC for Mass Effect, and I've still got a couple of games I haven't yet opened for my 360.

Looks like wii is finally meeting demand, I wonder how long it will hold at that level.
Demand is about to take off again, WiiFit is coming. It was shown on "Good morning America" yesterday with the hosts playing the hula hoop game. They also had a three way race with 3 of the hosts. They kept mentioning the price and release date. Nintendo knows how to market to the mainstream. If it ever gets on Oprah, God help us all. :)

Wii has sold itself successfully to the masses. Even if sales decrease next month, it still have much room to go (compared to and perhaps even overtaking PS2's total install base). I will buy one next year for my kid. I am sure every year, some parents will buy one for his (new) kids.

They are just starting. Over time (and in parallel), Nintendo will also push complementary products/services to tighten the grip.

PS3 and Xbox 360 will need to revisit their strategies to stay relevant to the masses. I am sure Sony and Microsoft are very eager to show their work to us too. End of this year will be even more exciting.

EDIT:
Correction, a Wii game dominated the charts. I con't really count Wii play, since it's really an addon extra remote sale. Pretty much all of the Wii's software momentum this month was Smash Bros, and that probably because there's just nothing else to play.

On the other hand, I played Lost Oddysey, Eternal Sonata, grabbed the DLC for Mass Effect, and I've still got a couple of games I haven't yet opened for my 360.

I don't know about nothing else to play. People buy Wii to run fun software :)
Is Wii Play bundled with Wii ? Can people buy the Wiimote separately ? Even if we take your view, it's only a matter of time when the Wii user base outpaces both 360 and PS3.
At some point, even bad software (from hardcore gamers' point of view) will sell relatively well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing brawl numbers! Chalk up 2 more million sellers for the 360.

360 and PS3 hardware close but nothing major in terms of numbers.

Wii destorys both. Anyone who still calls it a fad is a proper tard.

People are buying Wii's, because they are so hard to find. If they werent, they wouldnt be selling as well.

Yeah Wii's are fun, for the first few months. Then get old. At least thats the way it went for me. It has the most shovelware, and least good games, imo. No online gaming, and if you dont have people over, it gets boring fast.

Looks like wii is finally meeting demand, I wonder how long it will hold at that level.

Not really still completely sold out in my area. I still have only seen 2 Wiis on the store shelves. I bought one of them. I wonder how many they could actually sell if they had the supply 1 million maybe 2 million in a month?

MS really needs a price cut in the worst way but there is good news. Dispite there only being a 50 dollar price difference the 360 is selling on par with the PS3. I am in shock over that I see any reason a sane person would choose the 360 with only a 50 dollar price difference.

Back