Heavenly Sword 2 rumor

Gamespot reporting rumor that Sony Cambridge has put the HS2 project in stasis.

First month, it sold about 119k in the US but through May, had only sold 345k.

If you add some sales from non-US markets, it doesn't sound bad. Maybe they could have put it out as a platinum hit and move a few more copies.

But rumor has it that SCEE has concluded HS2 is not commercially viable.

HS1 broke 1 million units, which probably means that it broke even, but not much more. And considering some of the talk coming out of Ninja Theory - like they could make a Beowulf-like CG movie with their engine for 10% of its budget - seems to indicate that SCEE might have had problems with their attitude as well.

Gamespot reporting rumor that Sony Cambridge has put the HS2 project in stasis.

First month, it sold about 119k in the US but through May, had only sold 345k.

If you add some sales from non-US markets, it doesn't sound bad. Maybe they could have put it out as a platinum hit and move a few more copies.

But rumor has it that SCEE has concluded HS2 is not commercially viable.

HS2 was never started. I don't know the full story...but I expect it was a combination of NT and Sony deciding HS2 wasn't going to be made.

HS1 broke 1 million units, which probably means that it broke even, but not much more. And considering some of the talk coming out of Ninja Theory - like they could make a Beowulf-like CG movie with their engine for 10% of its budget - seems to indicate that SCEE might have had problems with their attitude as well.
?
I don't see the jump in logic at all...

Because a game engine (Heavenly Swords engine, which with all seen) isn't rivalling offline movie CG for quality. It was a...peculiar...thing to say.

Well I think most agree that HS main problem(and the reason it didn't sell better) was the length of the game, that's an easy fix. However, when you kill off the main character a sequel is risky to say the least.

Still, why would Sony take exception to this? It's not like we haven't heard outlandish things in the PR world before...

My point is that Sony and NT probably had a disagreement on the reasons and responsibilities for the lack of HS's financial success.

Well I think most agree that HS main problem(and the reason it didn't sell better) was the length of the game, that's an easy fix. However, when you kill off the main character a sequel is risky to say the least.

Ninja Theory always said, even before HS was out, that the story is made as a trilogy, so killing off the main character in the first game was a planned part of the trilogy.

Well I do not agree ;)

To me it was a bit to much repetitive game play that did it for me. I did not even finish, I got the last level with the king and could not be bothered to finish it.
What made me play it that far, was the story and cut scenes.
Much like what I am doing with R:FOM now, never really played it when I got it. But have to finish it before R2 arrives :D

Ninja Theory always said, even before HS was out, that the story is made as a trilogy, so killing off the main character in the first game was a planned part of the trilogy.

That may be but it's still a risk going into a sequel, that they floated the idea of a male lead for HS2 and were met with considerable dissatisfaction may also point to a rethinking of the trilogy storyline.

My point is that Sony and NT probably had a disagreement on the reasons and responsibilities for the lack of HS's financial success.

Not quite the case from what I've heard from some the guys still at the studio..

Also HS2 was in development over at SCEE Cambridge from which it was canned (along with 8 days & the Getaway) after the new SCEWWS head took over..

& to top it off Ninja Theory have or are in the process of moving to a new office out of close proxy with their neighboring Sony studio..

Not quite the case from what I've heard from some the guys still at the studio..

Also HS2 was in development over at SCEE Cambridge from which it was canned (along with 8 days & the Getaway) after the new SCEWWS head took over..

& to top it off Ninja Theory have or are in the process of moving to a new office out of close proxy with their neighboring Sony studio..

And this news comes from where exactly?

There was a news report about it earlier this week or last week I can't remember.. I also heard it from the horses mouth (so to speak) too..

It was a rumour on Kotaku, where Gamespot got their rumour from. If you heard it from the horses mouth...it must have been Sony...and not NT.

Back