Nvidia Tegra

Two guesses from another forum:

Tesla Graphics
Integrated

"Tesla Graphics" makes little sense.
The whole point of the current Nvidia Tesla is having, basically, a Quadro FX without video output, in order to tap into the high density CUDA/GPGPU market with an autonomous product.

"Integrated" is also unlikely, since the new drivers from Nvidia clearly state the continuing bet on the Geforce name for their IGP's (even the "Forceware" moniker was ditched).

I'm not exactly sure what Tegra could stand for, but during the Financial Analyst day NVIDIA did make mention of a Tesla2. JHH said that it may not actually be called that, but he seemed pretty excited about it.

Could Tegra have something to do with Hybrid SLI? Using a motherboard GPU is "like integrated graphics but with better performance, DirectX compatibility and HD movie playback", per quote from Nvnews interview with someone at NV.

Did not open the pictures in my post?

gpu_main_page_de.jpg

from German NV site

TEGRA seems to be the new brand of TESLA or something in this direction.

Or how about just that age-old real-time 3D bugbear......a compression artifact. This thread is slightly silly.

How true, it's the new cooling solution for graphics cards from Nvidia :yes:

Nvidia wouldn't bother trademarking brands on behalf of another company (Coolermaster, the actual manufacturer of their cooler assemblies). ;)
Besides, i wouldn't call a slightly stretched version of the 8800 GTX cooler "new".:p

physics ?

I'm all for a dedicated physics card , just as long as they don't try to cram out a new slightly faster one every year and they keep prices resonable

I almost believed the two images that AnarchX sent, however, after putting both the pictures into different tabs and switched between one and the other, it clearly shows that the graphics card with tegra on it is photoshoped, switching back and forth you can tell that everything is exactly the same, the card is exactly the same, the picture is exactly the same, with the exception of it being in german and slightly differnt by not showing the model number, except on the graphics card, parts of it slightly move, the nvidia logo, etc., now that wouldn't exactly be a problem but for one it'd be pretty hard to get the same exact picture from two different cards

But last, and CERTAINLY not least, this is the biggest thing, in the picture that has tegra on it, there is a circle around tegra and the logo that is a slight different color then what the card is actually, meaning, whoever copied the picture, took a circle out of the picture, put in the best color they could find to match it, and put the nvidia logo with tegra on it

companies may be dumb, but they arn't that dumb, they wouldn't put a picture out there in any way that said both tegra and telsa on it, they would catch this

Now comes the part where it's on nvidias website, either someone messed up, are trying to trick us, or someone got on their website and put it there which would be quite easy to do considering, it's us, the gamers, the hackers, people like us like to pull pranks, so i'm not saying tegras not the new telsa, but i am saying, that picture is photoshoped, don't believe it, it proves nothing and hints to nothing

I almost believed the two images that AnarchX sent, however, after putting both the pictures into different tabs and switched between one and the other, it clearly shows that the graphics card with tegra on it is photoshoped, switching back and forth you can tell that everything is exactly the same, the card is exactly the same, the picture is exactly the same, with the exception of it being in german and slightly differnt by not showing the model number, except on the graphics card, parts of it slightly move, the nvidia logo, etc., now that wouldn't exactly be a problem but for one it'd be pretty hard to get the same exact picture from two different cards
It's not an uncommon practice to glue some new details on existing photos. Most of the so called "chip-shots" the manufacturers spill out at launch are actually made that way. :)

I agree with the "inTEGRAted" bit. It's the kind of thing that makes marketing people pat themselves on the back and buy a round of drinks at the end of the work day.

Now whether we're talking about integration of the GPU into something else, integrating audio into the GPU, making socketable mobos where you can plug a GPU core the same way you'd plug a CPU... whatever. Let's wait and see... heck, it could even be Tesla 2.

If I had to put money onwhat Tegra is, I'd say it was some kind of mobile plaform or chipset. Maybe branding for the new MCP79 chip or perhaps something with VIA.

I don't see NVIDIA dropping the Tesla brand, they've really only just introduced it.

Back