Blockbuster offers $1 billion for Circuit City

Blockbuster wants to turn all the stores into combination electronics retailers and rental outlets. Blockbuster probably sees themselves in a shrinking market and is looking to change their focus.

Would not the smarter move be to get into the internet rental/download market instead of buying a failed retail business and try to get two doomed businesses to work?

If you only got half a leg to stand on buying another half-leg (for a billion simoleans no less) won't be much help..lol.

Doesn't make much sense to me. If it goes through it will be sad to see all the Circuit Cities turn into rental shops.

I honestly hope someone else buys Circuit City.

On second thought, this makes a little bit of sense. Blockbuster buys Circuit City and then changes the color scheme of the store to blue and yellow. Blockbuster will imitate Best Buy. Then they will get into contact with Best Buy for a merger!

You're right, it makes too little sense.

Would not the smarter move be to get into the internet rental/download market instead of buying a failed retail business and try to get two doomed businesses to work?

They already offer this service, its basically an exact copy of Netflix with the addition of in store exchanges. I dont think they offer online streaming yet though which netflix does, but to be fair what netflix does offer through streaming is extremely limited with the majority being older movies from a decade or two ago.

Maybe Blockbuster wants to use CC to push their content via an as-of-yet-unannounced Media box.

What I'm shocked to read from the article was the fact that Blockbuster had a billion bucks to offer with. I thought they were already going under coz of Netflix.

Back