Mariokart Wii

No topic about mariokart yet? its a shame! The game came out here (and in Japan) 2 days ago and its pretty fun. I loved de snes version and thought the DS version was pretty good too unfortunatly the Wii version isnt like that. Mariokart DS was stil pretty hardcore, to be really good you have to have skill but even as a novice you could still manage to keep up a bit but I feel the balance in mariokart wii is totally gone.

Its just too easy and there are to many (stong) items that you get to often and that screws up the balance. I understand that nintendo didnt bother ruening one of their main franchise for the sake of ''non gamers'' but they didnt have to do it like this. The tracks are to wide to begin with, even rainbowroad isnt hard. You wont have a problem with a single track even if you see them for the first time. But what really ruins it are the items, to often it happens you lose after being upfront for 2 laps just because you get hit by 6 items in the last half of the last lap.

On the upside online works great. Plenty of people playing already and the item galore isnt as bad (most of the time) and on the retro tracks its even better because there seem to be far less items so its more about racing (tracks are still made far to wide though). Also lots of different people play, saw a lot of female mii's (assuming the majority of players wont pretend to be female..) and in case somebody wonderd. No in mariokart wii woman cant driver either! Except for this Japanese girl, she had like 10.000 points already which is pretty high as you start with 5000 and you dont rack up points so fast and the game is only out for 2 days so she must have been playing for just about 2 days straight (her name was harihi written in katakana with a character behind I dont know @japan). But she was pretty good which was nice as I drive upfront most of the time now and I dont think im all that good. So still al lack of more experianced players.

As for the controlls I only use the classic, tied the wheel but I dont like it at all because its to unresponsive which I think is a shame because when exite truck came out which works pretty good once you are used to it I though mariokart would could be awsome like this but nintendo didnt do a all to good job with it imo.

Also I think the bikes suck (they seem to be faster though, all the faster than me online ppl used bikes) as they just dont controll nice but I only tried them for a short while so maybe its a matter of practise.

I am a bit dissapointed by mariokart wii. SP is just to easy, the tracks are to wide and not challaging enough and the only way you will be challanged is because you'll get screwed by items. Online has potential, but the easy tracks make it less of a challange and there is a big lack of good players still to make up for that.

I hoped MK wii would be like MK DS or better yet the Snes version but instead they made something which is probably among the less good mariokarts all because they tried to make it playable for everyone and while doing that totally missed on the balance which also means first time players wont like it as much.

Thanks for the impressions.

After Mario Kart DS was the best Mario Kart title to date, I had high hopes for MKwii...

It seems that it only delivered on a few fronts.

Haven't got to play this yet though me mate's had it a few days. What 'gets' me though is he doesn't use the wheel but the nunchuck. This sounds like another 'proper' Wii game that doesn't benefit much from motion controls, at least for seasoned gamers. For 'The Casuals' the fun of throwing a wheel around might be far better than any frustration with lack of control.

Plenty of people online use the wheel, also good players. I think its more a case of what you preffer than one being better than the other. I dont really like the wheel, mostly because I think its annoining to have to move it if you want to drift around corners. But my brother uses it and he doesnt mind.

I enjoy the racing part of the game, it seems much better than the n64 or gc version to me. I've been using the wheel, and really haven't had any problems with it. Lots of fun with a few friends over, though I guess the single-player might be too easy if you're better than me at racing games.

Unfortunately, they've completely ruined the battle modes, which was my favourite part in the other games. Using only local split-screen, you're not only forced to play in teams, you're forced to play in teams with loads of computer players on either side. Which team wins is decided completely on random by which computer players happen to do best, and individual scores are decided completely by how many red shells you happen to get, since you'll always manage to hit the computer players with them.

I enjoy the racing part of the game, it seems much better than the n64 or gc version to me. I've been using the wheel, and really haven't had any problems with it. Lots of fun with a few friends over, though I guess the single-player might be too easy if you're better than me at racing games.

Unfortunately, they've completely ruined the battle modes...

I've had similar experiences : the racing is very fun, with the new tracks being pretty well designed, the wheel works well (I brought the console with two wheels at my office on friday, we had a blast during lunch time), but I didn't like the team-based battle mode.

"Nintendo overtakes Sony’s ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’ at the top of the All Formats Chart as ‘Mario Kart Wii’ records the 8th biggest launch week ever in the UK. ‘Mario Kart Wii’ is far and away the biggest launch of any Nintendo published title. It’s also bigger than the launch weeks of all 5 other Mario Wii games combined (Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers, Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario)."

Amazing!

"Nintendo overtakes Sony’s ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’ at the top of the All Formats Chart as ‘Mario Kart Wii’ records the 8th biggest launch week ever in the UK. ‘Mario Kart Wii’ is far and away the biggest launch of any Nintendo published title. It’s also bigger than the launch weeks of all 5 other Mario Wii games combined (Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers, Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario)."

Amazing!

Wow. To be honest, I was expecting the game to do well, but not be a hit like Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros. I haven't been that interested, and maybe it was my personal bias that was blinding me of the popularity.

Back