Emotion Engine vs. XCPU vs. Gekko

you folks don't mean Lazy8 by any chance ?

Those so called "bolted on gpu elements" where used for more then geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
no ,the original design was a custom Toshiba GPU.Cell doing gpu works has never been really that much considered seriously.

and the EE is more like a CPU with Vertex Shaders embeded (much more programmablethan VS for its time) .
This is consistent with another member who is a dev saying that there was other gpu hardware on the table but due to corporate politics they went with Nvidia. Damn shame, if RSX wasn't so gimp we could see some really amazing things from the PS3. HD format war for the loss.

RSX wasn't a bad choice, it puts the PS3's straight up graphic capabilities very close to the 360, then with proper programming leveraging the Cell to actually allow superior graphics, while still maintaining an equal or even better game environment outside of the graphics. Either way though, it's not as easy as programming the 360, but from what I've heard, was no where near the pain it was to learn how to use the EE back on the PS2 early on.

no ,the original design was a custom Toshiba GPU.Cell doing gpu works has never been really that much considered seriously.

and the EE is more like a CPU with Vertex Shaders embeded (much more programmablethan VS for its time) .

If you look at the design patent though, it's basically a modified CELL.

This is consistent with another member who is a dev saying that there was other gpu hardware on the table but due to corporate politics they went with Nvidia.

Oh, I think NVIDIA and ATI are the two companies on top of 3D graphics tech right now. Who knows what that Toshiba GPU would've been. RSX certainly isn't a poor GPU, and we don't know how well Xenos compares to R600. G7x isn't at much of a disadvantage to a mid-range HD 2600. I really doubt that Xenos is a greatly superior chip compared to R600, as evidenced by facets of various high-quality 360 games.

Back