[360, PS3] Ninja Gaiden 2

Heh isn't this fun...

I'm in chapter 14
fighting against Dagra Dai, but I haven't got any potions and no way of getting them... I have tried atleast 20 times, but on my best effort I got maybe half of his energy bar off...

Any suggestions?

edit: well I managed to get past that obstacle, but I'm still in deep trouble with the next enemy... Crap And no save point in between...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh isn't this fun...

I'm in chapter 14
fighting against Dagra Dai, but I haven't got any potions and no way of getting them... I have tried atleast 20 times, but on my best effort I got maybe half of his energy bar off...

Any suggestions?

edit: well I managed to get past that obstacle, but I'm still in deep trouble with the next enemy... Crap And no save point in between...

No save point but it should not restart you at Dagra Dai again. It should let your fight the Archfiend, final form right away if you (when!) you die.

I'll buy the Mission Mode DLC if necessary.

This game needs a patch badly. I ended up having to redo my first playthrough because the game glitched right at a save in Ch10, and I was locked in a room, waiting for worms to spawn (that wouldn't spawn). After finishing the final boss, I went to look at my standing and my 360 froze up. So I also had to redo the final three bosses.

Dr. Evil, I had no potions either, and I eventually managed it, so it is possible. I ended up being very conservative with the High Priest, Jump Dashing in a circle, taking down any large pink fiends that got in the way, using ninpo if I got into trouble and and doing a couple attacks on the High priest whenever possible. As I remember, the only safe time to attack is a second or so when he floats and rotates. It took awhile to get it, the rest of the bosses were pretty easy comparatively. I used the Scythe.

I'm now doing a Mentor run and a DS only Acolyte run. I'm not very good, yet still I can't stop playing. I haven't had the desire to go back and finish up GTA4.

Well... I'm slightly late to this one, but I went ahead and bought it on Friday and spent a good few hours with it over the weekend. I completed chapter 7 when I turned off (the ice world boss who breathes fire and explodes), so I think that puts me at the half way mark.

Firstly, the combat is incredibly good. Hearing people compare this to NG1 makes me scratch my head, since I don't think they're too similar other than from a basic control standpoint. I had a quick play with my retail copy to make sure it wasn't just my memory, but there are some fundamental differences in the way the game's played, its pace, and of course the "style" that makes the sequel quite a bit different. In my mind, I'm adoring the sequel, and put it ahead of the original.

The recharging health system is a great idea. If you haven't played it, the way it works is you basically have a part of your health bar that won't recharge after each battle. The non-recharging part grows the more you are hit... so you're encouraged to take a minimal beating, but you're not punished with a tiny health bar if you manage to clear out an area by the skin of your teeth. This game would be impossible without it, since some (standard, non-boss) baddies can easily take out 1/3 to 1/2 of your health bar in a couple of hits.

Visually, it's another Team Ninja game. I appreciate it for what it is, but it's by no means the best of what has been played on my 360. I had some friends over last night that saw a guy I live with having a go at the first level and they were pretty blown away, though I don't think they're of the B3D persuasion :p I wouldn't have been able to tell it was scaled unless Quaz pointed it out, either, which is nice. I felt the same with CoD4, actually, whereas Halo did look low res, so there you go.

My only bad experience to date was the start of level 6 (?), where you're doing a huge jumping puzzle section. I fell off at the very last jump and had to start over at the start :/ Terrible design.

Other than that, the game is a huge bucket of fun... I'm playing on the "easy" difficultly for this run-through, so it's not frustrating, but by no means easy. Watching the enemies fall to bits as I slice them up is huge fun, and the amount of stuff happening on screen is pretty crazy. Seeing four limbs fly up, while the ninjas start hobbling over to me never gets old, as sadistic as that may sound.

I definitely am having more fun here than I did with DMC4, though that was very enjoyable too. I feel that NG2 (like the first) is an example of a game that rewards your increasing level of skill more so than most games... in DMC, I felt like I was largely improving due to buying new moves or weapon upgrades, rather than getting vastly better over the course of the game - but the enjoyment came there from the over-the-top moves that just look down-right absurd. DMC4 is a different game by nature, of course, and I'm very happy at being able to buy and enjoy both of these gems.

So, to questions...

What weapons are you guys recommending? I'm on the scythe at the moment since that seems to make people lose their limbs very quickly. I was using the staff up until that point, though I'd love to try the double swords, since they look really cool.

If I start on the next difficultly, do I keep my upgraded weapons? I loved that in DMC4, so as a noob/un-hardcore player I got my toes wet but still had something to come back to without losing all my hair. Having to restart NG2 with the "lowly" dragon sword on the default difficulty would not be pretty.

Cheers

I'm playing through, only up to chapter 3 so far, and one thing that's bugging me is the limb-severing. I don't like how it affects flow: I particularly dislike how the camera shifts into a mini-cutscene whenever you do an insta-kill. I would have much preferred if instead the instakills were faster, like with the 'Y' ground-kill in NG1.

What weapons are you guys recommending? I'm on the scythe at the moment since that seems to make people lose their limbs very quickly. I was using the staff up until that point, though I'd love to try the double swords, since they look really cool.

If I start on the next difficultly, do I keep my upgraded weapons? I loved that in DMC4, so as a noob/un-hardcore player I got my toes wet but still had something to come back to without losing all my hair. Having to restart NG2 with the "lowly" dragon sword on the default difficulty would not be pretty.

Cheers

Scythe is my favorite but I switch to the Dragon sword to cover distances if needed. basically jump and flying swallow will get you a LOT of range and you're invincible during. Once you land, block dash where you need to be.

If you switch difficulties, you start over on weapons and items :(

Yes!! I was finally able to beat this game and the last two bosses without any potions! I think I deserved more than just 100 gamer points though... maybe 200 would have been right :smile: I'll probably replay it with higher difficulty, but I quess I should put in MGS4 before I do that.

Yes!! I was finally able to beat this game and the last two bosses without any potions! I think I deserved more than just 100 gamer points though... maybe 200 would have been right :smile: I'll probably replay it with higher difficulty, but I quess I should put in MGS4 before I do that.

Good job! I'm going to buy the costumes and wait for the mission pack coming up. In the mean time I'm playing through NG1 and it's waaay more cheap and frustrating than NG2. All said n' done, NG2 is my Top 3 of this gen. The gameplay is just amazing. Supposedly the new patch fixes a lot of framerate issues and other glitches so it'll be interesting to see.

Supposedly the new patch fixes a lot of framerate issues and other glitches so it'll be interesting to see.
Really? I just ordered the game in online store and it'll come to me later this week, but at this point I can wait for a patch.

The patch is out. I haven't had any issues yet with slowdown actually, so I'm assuming it has worked, since I only started playing after the patch was released.

Well I finished chapter 8 last night and the game ramped up in difficultly to a crazy level. After saying how there wasn't too much of a challenge in my last post, I'm eating my words :p Chapter 9 started off reasonably but I'll have to see if it's as crazy.

I have just started playing the game on the path of the mentor, and have experienced really severe framerate drops has anyone else here experienced much more significant framerate drops on the path ot them mentor than in the path of the warrior?

I'm not kidding when I say severe drops to me looks like it drops to less than half the intended framerate.

I wonder if it's the game or if it's a problem with my xbox overheating or something.

I have just started playing the game on the path of the mentor, and have experienced really severe framerate drops has anyone else here experienced much more significant framerate drops on the path ot them mentor than in the path of the warrior?

I'm not kidding when I say severe drops to me looks like it drops to less than half the intended framerate.

I wonder if it's the game or if it's a problem with my xbox overheating or something.

I'm quessing it's just coincidence. I witnessed framedrops into single digits on few occasions on the easiest difficulty, but not very often though... How often are you getting them?

I'm quessing it's just coincidence. I witnessed framedrops into single digits in few occasions on the easiest difficulty, but not very often though... How often are you getting them?

I was at a very weird place near the second skull in tokyo it never happened to me bofore there and the frame rate just wouldn't recover it stayed really low and kept that way before that part I had the same problem maybe 2 times before getting to the second skull, it's just not normal I don't think anyone would finish the game on the path of the mentor as I am experiencing it.

Edit: I decided to restart the tokyo stage in the same difficulty again and the framerate returned to the normal (close to 60fps with the usual drops) seems like it was some kind of glitch or something.

having recently upgraded to an elite, I found that several games seem to run better with less frame hiccups.

My theory is that my old premium was having issues either reading data off the DVD drive or the HDD had errors causing issues as well.

I actually have seen videos of various games that Blim at gamersyde has put up showing FR dips and pop in -GTAIV was almost unplayable for him- when on my machine it's smooth as butter. It may explain the conflicting reports of gamers across the net of their perception of a games FR or pop in.

I'm guessing various machines perform differently. It's possible your DVD drive is starting to go or the HDD has errors as I now think was the case with my Premium. even the dashboard and list population of "My Games" is a LOT snappier.

having recently upgraded to an elite, I found that several games seem to run better with less frame hiccups.

My theory is that my old premium was having issues either reading data off the DVD drive or the HDD had errors causing issues as well.

I actually have seen videos of various games that Blim at gamersyde has put up showing FR dips and pop in -GTAIV was almost unplayable for him- when on my machine it's smooth as butter. It may explain the conflicting reports of gamers across the net of their perception of a games FR or pop in.

I'm guessing various machines perform differently. It's possible your DVD drive is starting to go or the HDD has errors as I now think was the case with my Premium. even the dashboard and list population of "My Games" is a LOT snappier.

Thats good to know maybe I'll buy a new system at some point when it gets cheap enough.

I think it was just a bug though it happend today and I thought it was the difficulty level for some reason (maybe more characters) but it wasn't it was just a coincidence.

My DVD drive isn't what it used to be though I'm getting some errors once in a while.

I saw my first frame drop in my Acolyte playthrough over the weekend in the area Gaf calls "the stairs of a hundred ninjas". If you've played the game you'll know what I'm talking about. It was a little distracting, but that part of the game was amazing.

It's easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had, just tearing through dozens upon dozens of ninjas in seconds. It's also a shining example of why the gameplay from NG is so good - the first time I played I was fearful running into a group of 4 or 5 ninjas at once... then when you get to the staircase (level 10 I think?) I saw this army approaching me and I thought "oh, it's on!" and just proceeded to sever people left and right, switching weapons as I felt the need, and using all of the skills I learned via learning the depth of the gameplay experience. Incredible and so rewarding.

Now I'm up to level 12, and the game's turning into a far more enjoyable experience than I expected. The middle chunk - mainly the military part, but also those involving too many flying demons - were fairly frustrating. I felt clunky, and can't really find myself relying on the bow too often, since it's so slow to stop, line up my target and fire a charged shot. They really need to let Ryu move while firing the arrow in first person view, since it just makes the game so difficult while you stand still for a few seconds. But now I've just finished returning to the Hayabusa clan house, and tore up everything in my path, I felt like Itagaki was sitting over me saying "you have learned the way of the ninja! Everything I intended to teach you, you have learned."

Until he sees that I'm still playing on the easiest difficulty :p But yes, it's a shitload of fun, though some of the bosses are crazy-hard.

What ninpo are you guys using most frequently? The only one I'm really using is the pheonix power, and that's because it lets me add damage when I'm doing my melee thing. I only really use it in boss battles, and I think that's where my play is generally letting me down... so many wasted red orbs that I could be using to make my life easier that I just don't use since I don't really find the other ninpo (where you target in first person mode) that intuitive. I also don't really know how to actually "fire" them, since usually end up panicing in boss fights if I try to use them :( Tips?

I saw my first frame drop in my Acolyte playthrough over the weekend in the area Gaf calls "the stairs of a hundred ninjas". If you've played the game you'll know what I'm talking about. It was a little distracting, but that part of the game was amazing.

It's easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had, just tearing through dozens upon dozens of ninjas in seconds. It's also a shining example of why the gameplay from NG is so good - the first time I played I was fearful running into a group of 4 or 5 ninjas at once... then when you get to the staircase (level 10 I think?) I saw this army approaching me and I thought "oh, it's on!" and just proceeded to sever people left and right, switching weapons as I felt the need, and using all of the skills I learned via learning the depth of the gameplay experience. Incredible and so rewarding.

Now I'm up to level 12, and the game's turning into a far more enjoyable experience than I expected. The middle chunk - mainly the military part, but also those involving too many flying demons - were fairly frustrating. I felt clunky, and can't really find myself relying on the bow too often, since it's so slow to stop, line up my target and fire a charged shot. They really need to let Ryu move while firing the arrow in first person view, since it just makes the game so difficult while you stand still for a few seconds. But now I've just finished returning to the Hayabusa clan house, and tore up everything in my path, I felt like Itagaki was sitting over me saying "you have learned the way of the ninja! Everything I intended to teach you, you have learned."

That was pretty much the same experience I had when I played it for the first time :)

Until he sees that I'm still playing on the easiest difficulty :p But yes, it's a shitload of fun, though some of the bosses are crazy-hard.

What ninpo are you guys using most frequently? The only one I'm really using is the pheonix power, and that's because it lets me add damage when I'm doing my melee thing. I only really use it in boss battles, and I think that's where my play is generally letting me down... so many wasted red orbs that I could be using to make my life easier that I just don't use since I don't really find the other ninpo (where you target in first person mode) that intuitive. I also don't really know how to actually "fire" them, since usually end up panicing in boss fights if I try to use them :( Tips?

There are only four scrolls as far as I know, the one I find most useful for smaller enemies is the wind blades it's really nice when you feel overhelmed by ninjas or something, for the bosses I'd recomend using them more to avoid being hit by heavy attacks than to damage them but IMO the best for bosses is the Piercing Void.

The boss battles are a lot easyer than they seem after you've learned the best way to beat them, if you're having difficulties with a particular one tell me wich one and I'll help you out the best I can.

Back