PS3 + 60" Pioneer Pro-150FD + Planet Earth Bluray = Holy God

Most notably:
- try the Display Settings for Full RGB. This should give a huge boost in color range and contrast, and make Planet Earth look even better. If there's no obvious difference or it only gets darker with no improvement in color range (i.e. the brights also get darker), your TV maybe supports Super White instead, and you can try that option.
- some of the sound options, there's a Bitstream Type 3 option you can choose that can sound better for instance. I don't know the details of this one, exactly. Ditto for Audio CD output, there are some settings like upscale to 172hz and such. Again, here you'll have to experiment, or ask someone more knowledgeable than me, or go to AVForums. ;)

I setup Super-White since my TV supports it and "Full" for the RGB options.

Btw, Paul keeps trying to get me to download the Uncharted demo and give it a whirl. Maybe if there are any games out there that are demos that really show off 1080p content, I'd be interested though. Seems like everything is 720p.

Natoma is there any possibility to post some pictures/photos of this wonderfull displays (or link to see this beatifull display in action with ps3/BD?)?;)

Since now thanx a lot.

(im dreaming some day see pioneer launch your dislplays plasma in my country)

I can't really post anything that isn't compressed unfortunately. And it isn't just the IQ. It's seeing everything in motion with a screen that big that does it. It's just an experience you have to see in person.

See if any local electronics/AV store near you has an Elite. You won't be disappointed.

Can't be. The brightness level on this tv is only 40, out of 100. All of the settings are default and the picture detail looks great. "Limited" actually lessened the IQ a little when I tried this out per your suggestion.

That said, this TV was again made for really deep blacks. That's what the Kuro Elites are known for. Heck the HDMI input is default to 36bit color depth, so do you think it would really cause an issue?

Can't be. The brightness level on this tv is only 40, out of 100. All of the settings are default and the picture detail looks great. "Limited" actually lessened the IQ a little when I tried this out per your suggestion.

That said, this TV was again made for really deep blacks. That's what the Kuro Elites are known for. Heck the HDMI input is default to 36bit color depth, so do you think it would really cause an issue?

If you're happy with that, then go for it, I suppose. I had a Pro110 (50inch of what you have) for a month. The optimal PQ was Limited on both the Pioneer and the PS3.

Here are some threads to get you going on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858455
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858851

Here's a thread that goes into RGB settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984439

As I recall, the HDMI is 36bit because the Kuro's are 12bit on their processing of R/G/B 12x3 = 36. Won't hurt PQ.

The Pro-150FD will automatically detect full or limited RGB range if you've set its colour space to auto. However, some PS3 HW and/or firmware revisions seem to incorrectly flag their HDMI signal as limited RGB even though they are using the full range. On my 60GB PS3, I have to set it to limited RGB because it used to always cause my Pro-150FD to treat the signal as limited. Even after the latest firmware, it still incorrectly flags the HDMI signal as limited range during PS2 mode, even if it's outputing full range. My 80GB PS3, OTOH, can be set to either full or limited and will flag the signal correctly for the Pro-150FD, even in PS2 mode.

However, for movie watching, I set the output mode to YUV instead, since that the native colour space of video encodes, and don't have to worry about full or limited RGB.

BTW, I find Planet Earth to have some pretty glaring compression artifacts. They're most noticeable in scenes with schools of fish, flocks of birds, herds of caribou, etc. I'd love to get a re-encode of the series targetted for blu-ray bandwidth instead of the HD-DVD bandwidth the current encode was aimed at.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, since the last update, you can select 'Download' and then choose the Windows Media version, and it will immediately start live-streaming that file instead to full-screen, which is almost even better! I love that feature and have used it lots already.

The only thing that would be nice is if we could get an easier button to select that option from the browser than currently, but other than that it is perfect. My connection is only fast enough to stream the SD versions without pause, but that's still great.

You can also watch the HD versions if you want. Just place the cursor on Windons Media and press triangle. Then select File and Save target, this will save it on your harddrive. You can then find it on the XMB with your other movies.

My internet connection isn't fast enough to stream the SD versions, but simply downloading the HD version to the harddrive works pretty fast.

You can also watch the HD versions if you want. Just place the cursor on Windons Media and press triangle. Then select File and Save target, this will save it on your harddrive. You can then find it on the XMB with your other movies.

My internet connection isn't fast enough to stream the SD versions, but simply downloading the HD version to the harddrive works pretty fast.

True, I didn't mention that because it was there before, but that's also useful.

There are some easy tests about with images that show all shades of black that you should still be able to see. I've done one on my Samsung of 1.5 years ago and it showed that all blacks remain clearly visible, and the improvement is really just amazing. I think that for a lot of people with modern TVs, Full RGB is an absolute must and a big win.

Speakers? Good lord, not an easy question as this is heavily determined by your environment, your ears, and your own tastes.

DO calibrate your set though. Just get a professional in there and do it right.

The setting, after everything was taken from the delivered packaging, last night:

Pioneer Pro-150FD, 8' away, 1080p visual, PS3 loaded with Planet Earth bluray disc, all of the lights out.

The reaction upon playing the disc:

Holy.... mother.... of.... jeebus.... save me.... :oops:

I watched the first 20 minutes last night before going to bed, just to get a taste, and I could not pick my jaw up off the floor for the entire time. It was, in a word, stunning.

Just, wow. I haven't purchased the A/V and speakers yet, but I'm looking at the Onkyo 905 or the Integra equivalent. Hopefully when all of the furniture arrives, I'll be able to get more comfy with everything.

p.s.: PS3 + 20mb/20mb FIOS = yummy download goodness. :D

You should also check out Galapagos, another BBC blu-ray documentary. Stunning in High-Def.

Ok everyone, I've got more updates on the sound system.

AV Receiver: Onkyo 905 or Integra DTR 8.8
Center Channel: Definitive Mythos Three
Front L/R: Definitive Mythos One or Four
Rear L/R: Definitive Mythos Five
Subwoofer: Velodyne DDL 12" or 15" | JL F112 12"

Thoughts?

Any help on choosing between the One's or Four's for the front l/r channels and the velodyne or the JL for the sub? :)

Back