The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

Those ecosystem are AI stuff, should be a piece of cake for the SPUs.

Yes,but maybe other "stuff" may be a bit of pain for gpu...nobody said that AI stuff and whether effects are the reason why ps3 versions get downgraded in res.I was reading here,year ago,that one Id Software programmer said that while physics and a.i work great on ps3,and its not lacking for 360,anything that goes through gpu is always slower on ps3 side...not to mention that Carmack said that ps3 has lack of memory so you have to be very sensitive with it.

Yes,but maybe other "stuff" may be a bit of pain for gpu...nobody said that AI stuff and whether effects are the reason why ps3 versions get downgraded in res.I was reading here,year ago,that one Id Software programmer said that while physics and a.i work great on ps3,and its not lacking for 360,anything that goes through gpu is always slower on ps3 side...not to mention that Carmack said that ps3 has lack of memory so you have to be very sensitive with it.

Scott_Arms was talking about ecosystem for GTA4.

There are many dimensions to the problem. I don't think it's as simple as what Carmack says. He said things about 360 too, but very often in engineering, you can mix and match solutions to overcome bottlenecks. But there are also project and business constraints to take care of.

I saw TapIn's post about him agreeing that GTA4 was a let down too (but he deleted it :)). Seriously, these things should be in the game thread, not here.

Formerly Angel Studios :smile:

Anyway, we're going back and forth without getting any real insight. It's not a secret that MS has been more involved with third parties than Sony, even with Japanese developers (Capcom did improve theirs gradually through various revisions..5 I think and LP2 is fairly close on both platforms). Is it really surprising that their engines run better on the 360?

There is obviously some ways around hurdles, but we really don't know why there is a performance discrepancy this time after 2 years. Perhaps it is as simple as Assurdum speculated with the heavy use of eDRAM.

Yes I thing depend of a great use of eDRAM to me. Rage engine has it's origin in the old Renderware develop for ps2...it's pretty notice the difficult of the ps3 with the game which requires use of edram obviously not enough optimized in spe support. I think R don't have waste time to rewrite some parts maybe require too much works who know...it's interesting to see if R reply in the next days something of news in development matter.

Those ecosystem are AI and physics stuff, should be a piece of cake for the SPUs.

inFamous city is full of people too.

Perhaps because their needs are "quite something else in terms of requirements" that the implementations needs to be even more err... different ?

We dont know since we dont have any presentations from R* and their engine work on consoles,but i would guess that after 3 games shipped they know what to do and what not to do on ps3...

This nonsense about them being lazy or not really technical comes from the fact that UC2 and KZ2 look exceptional,but those are totally different games,with R*s being open world games with higher memory requirements and UC2 being linear TPS.If we compare one game,exclusive from ps3,that can be compared to GTA IV and RDR in terms of size and gameplay type its InFamous.And IMO GTAIV looks better even though its multiplat and year older game.

Yes I thing depend of a great use of eDRAM to me. Rage engine has it's origin in the old Renderware develop for ps2...it's pretty notice the difficult of the ps3 with the game which requires use of edram obviously not enough optimized in spe support. I think R don't have waste time to rewrite some parts maybe require too much works who know...it's interesting to see if R reply in the next days something of news in development matter.

??Never heard of that,maybe some link or something?

Famous again =)

Veteran Beyond 3D technical forum member Al_Strong today confirmed the PS3 game's vertical resolution to be 640 pixel's high, but struggled to pin down its horizontal resolution.

Infamous pixel-counter Quaz51 (he broke Halo 3's sub-HD resolution) confirmed this analysis, adding that he believes that Redemption's horizontal resolution is the same as Grand Theft Auto 4's. This puts the PS3 version of Red Dead Redemption at 640x1152; the equivalent of 644p.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247104

BTW I've seen RDR and it's a very good looking game, especially for open-world.

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont know since we dont have any presentations from R* and their engine work on consoles,but i would guess that after 3 games shipped they know what to do and what not to do on ps3...

This nonsense about them being lazy or not really technical comes from the fact that UC2 and KZ2 look exceptional,but those are totally different games,with R*s being open world games with higher memory requirements and UC2 being linear TPS.If we compare one game,exclusive from ps3,that can be compared to GTA IV and RDR in terms of size and gameplay type its InFamous.And IMO GTAIV looks better even though its multiplat and year older game.

I can't tell you what looks better for you. But I know the original GTA4 could be improved ...because they did optimize it further for the PS3 DLC but I have already lost interest.

I can't tell you what looks better for you. But I know the original GTA4 could be improved. And they did optimize it further for the PS3 DLC but I have already lost interest.

Well GTA IV IMO looks more lively,more organic and just better...although it had its share of problems that seems to be taken care of in RDR.

I just have a problem with people saying Rockstar doesn't have great technical mindshare. The complexity involved in GTA4 or RDR, in my mind, would be monumental. There's so much more going on than just the visuals.

GTAIV sure is one tech heavy game. Ignoring res it got quite a lot of tech than most other games and people should not ignore this. Animation system is the most dynamic and realistic one where bodies actually fully react to how they are affected while keeping a realistic human movement scheme. Lots of soft particles, full world collision sparks that even bounce on dynamic objects. Very very few if any other console game does that (dynamic object collision for sparks).
All realtime shadows, good realtime reflections, excellent shaders for paint etc.
3D water with world reflections, huge draw distances and tons of objects, millions and millions of polygons per frame. Then add in hundreds of dynamic lightsources, limited destructibility, 24/7 light scheme, IIRC procedural sky, wetness shader, POM, etc etc etc.

There is a lot going on per frame in the game and it packs tech. When I was playing PC version I was quite amazed to see that several buildings windows actually relfect the city in realtime! Sure cars had reflections but buildings to!

I'll shall see if I can find the list I made of all the things I found in GTAIV files.

Curious about that, since Renderware was Criterion's, not R*.
:rolleyes: GTA 3 used Renderware (tools created to Criterion) and after R had personalized the renderware for the GTA game on the ps2. Ubisoft has done the same with the unreal 2.0 engine.

:rolleyes: GTA 3 used Renderware (tools created to Criterion) and after R had personalized the renderware for the GTA game on the ps2. Ubisoft has done the same with the unreal 2.0 engine.

No,Renderware was used for 50+ games last gen...its like saying that just because Ubi used UE 2 last gen,and now has its own engine(several of them) they were redefined UE2.I dont know where did you get that RAGE is redefined RenderWare...
AFAIK RAGE is ground up engine made for Red Dead for next gen consoles and is used by all R* games.

GTAIV sure is one tech heavy game. Ignoring res it got quite a lot of tech than most other games and people should not ignore this. Animation system is the most dynamic and realistic one where bodies actually fully react to how they are affected while keeping a realistic human movement scheme. Lots of soft particles, full world collision sparks that even bounce on dynamic objects. Very very few if any other console game does that (dynamic object collision for sparks).
All realtime shadows, good realtime reflections, excellent shaders for paint etc.
3D water with world reflections, huge draw distances and tons of objects, millions and millions of polygons per frame. Then add in hundreds of dynamic lightsources, limited destructibility, 24/7 light scheme, IIRC procedural sky, wetness shader, POM, etc etc etc.

There is a lot going on per frame in the game and it packs tech. When I was playing PC version I was quite amazed to see that several buildings windows actually relfect the city in realtime! Sure cars had reflections but buildings to!

I'll shall see if I can find the list I made of all the things I found in GTAIV files.

Cool, are all these available on the PS3 and 360 version ?

BTW I've seen RDR and it's a very good looking game, especially for open-world.

That's good to know. I'll probably get it end of the week.

Yeah. For the record, RAGE stands for Rockstar Advanced Game Engine, and they've used it in all of their games so far. Including Midnight Club.. which was also sub-HD on the PS3.

So we can expect Agent to look like red dead redemption maybe a little bit better if its still exclusive. Never know with 3rd party devs.

Hope that we get to see more of that game on E3.

So we can expect Agent to look like red dead redemption maybe a little bit better if its still exclusive. Never know with 3rd party devs.

Hope that we get to see more of that game on E3.
Who knows...maybe they start to use spus as some b3d users suggest :LOL:

Back