The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

Would be interesting to understand why R can't reach 720p in any ps3 game...possible the 1/4 res of low buffer not help? I don't understand how is the problem on the ps3 hardware for R team :???:

Has anyone actually confirmed improvements to the engine?

AlStrong just called 640 vertical for one of the PS3 shots, so it's probably the same resolution as GTA4. 360 res also seems to be the same, down to the amount of AA.

So... do we know anything has actually been improved in the graphics engine, or are people just speculating because the PS3's resolution might've been lower than GTA4's?
R has improved the AA maybe a sort of better filter for the texture to cover the gap of low res...but 640p it's almost sure.

Would be interesting to understand why R can't reach 720p in any ps3 game...possible the 1/4 res of low buffer not help? I don't understand how is the problem on the ps3 hardware for R team :???:

Well, they are using multiple buffers because of the deferred light pass rendering (or whatever is the correct name) and they're displaying a continuous open world which needs a lot of texture memory, too.
Now the PS3 still has a little less total free memory available. So, if they want full parity with the X360 version, including similar texture resolution, then they have two options: don't use all the memory on the Xbox, or allocate less memory for the various buffers on the PS3.

Considering the fact that many people expressed their preference for the 640p PS3 version of GTA4, it becomes clear that 720p resolution is less important than more textures.

And it seems that the PS3 still has trouble with rendering speed too, so a higher res would probably also slow down the frame rate as well.

Well, they are using multiple buffers because of the deferred light pass rendering (or whatever is the correct name) and they're displaying a continuous open world which needs a lot of texture memory, too.
Now the PS3 still has a little less total free memory available. So, if they want full parity with the X360 version, including similar texture resolution, then they have two options: don't use all the memory on the Xbox, or allocate less memory for the various buffers on the PS3.

Considering the fact that many people expressed their preference for the 640p PS3 version of GTA4, it becomes clear that 720p resolution is less important than more textures.

And it seems that the PS3 still has trouble with rendering speed too, so a higher res would probably also slow down the frame rate as well.

I don't think depend of the RAM however. The problem is how the code work in the hardware. Would be interesting to know from R how to pass the code on the ps3, the use of SPU etcc...If you try to use the hardware how the 360, on the ps3 it's everything a compromise.

Last edited by a moderator:

The games doesn't look too much different than Far cry 2 in terms of open world effects and texture streaming so why can't R*'s engine be as efficient as Dunia engine? I kinda think R* just couldn't be bothered with optimizing more on the PS3 and since people didn't complain too much with GTAIV then it seems like a logical decision just to go with the flow and save the hassle.

The games doesn't look too much different than Far cry 2 in terms of open world effects and texture streaming so why can't R*'s engine be as efficient as Dunia engine? I kinda think R* just couldn't be bothered with optimizing more on the PS3 and since people didn't complain too much with GTAIV then it seems like a logical decision just to go with the flow and save the hassle.

I dont know if you played RDR but textures in general look more detailed then FC2...and i dont know about that "not bothered to optimize" cus R* already made like 3 games on ps3,and RDR was started on ps3 5 yrs ago,it does not seem like it.

I dont know if you played RDR but textures in general look more detailed then FC2...and i dont know about that "not bothered to optimize" cus R* already made like 3 games on ps3,and RDR was started on ps3 5 yrs ago,it does not seem like it.
Absolutely not. Far Cry 2 and Ubi games has a lot better texture in the enviromnent.

Early reviews gave GTA4 a 10 in graphics too (;-P).

I reckon the gamers' response in GTA4 has an effect on the developers. But I remember GTA4 follow up DLCs didn't sell as high as they expected. MS invested more to implement the DLCs for 360. I don't think there's any reason for them to redo the engine for PS3's esoteric architecture alone (Instead they improved the existing engine).

Given that they spend extra memory on custom music (low hanging fruit), they should have left over memory. I doubt the SPUs are fully utilized (Only U2 does that on record so far). Haven't heard the devs talk/brag much about their use (probably standard stuff like culling ?).

EDIT: May have to wait for their exclusive PS3 title to see what they can do. If it's going to use the same engine, then probably some serious re-plumbing need to be done on the PS3 path.

No one want to blames R developers, probably the problem is in the engine and how works but imho not seems nothing out of the range of the ps3 hardware. The code of GTA 4 gives problems even with an high end pc...

i doubt RDR use all SPU resource (or even 50%). they probably can enable a MLAA.

I'm not sure how effective it would be on a 640 upscaled resolution though. Could be interesting? Obviously MLAA became available way too late.

But yeah, I'm highly sceptical of this engine's SPU usage too. Would it even have a multi-threaded renderer?

Absolutely not. Far Cry 2 and Ubi games has a lot better texture in the enviromnent.

Depends for console version. Also FC2 has lots of narrow areas and hills/mountains covering view and wider areas are emptier with aggressive LOD than narrower.

Depends for console version. Also FC2 has lots of narrow areas and hills/mountains covering view and wider areas are emptier with aggressive LOD than narrower.
Depend even on RDR to be honest...and it has third person view which help a lot.

O really?Did you even play it?I will say it again,RDR is the most detailed open world game bar none and Far Cry 2 textures dont beat it,absolutely not.

I'm not sure how effective it would be on a 640 upscaled resolution though. Could be interesting? Obviously MLAA became available way too late.

But yeah, I'm highly sceptical of this engine's SPU usage too. Would it even have a multi-threaded renderer?

The PC version of GTA4 makes very heavy use of multiple threads, so yes I'd imagine so.

O really?Did you even play it?I will say it again,RDR is the most detailed open world game bar none and Far Cry 2 textures dont beat it,absolutely not.
We are not in neogaf here...based on what you said that? Because you have the game are you more reliable? The screens in the net not showing texture so massive incredible in RDR in terms of resolution. I am talking only of technic, I am not judging the overall graphic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back