The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

It's not conclusive but to me, from this capture and from the GT comparison video, it seems that the 360 has farther distances especially when from the helicopter.

"Seems" is a good word when it comes to comparisons on this game.

That would be kind of strange, wouldn't it?

Don't they quickly get replaced? The 360 is farther away and is showing more detail (not just the highlighted part, but trees as well). The PS3 is closer and is showing nothing until you get even closer. In the video, there's no original item that disappears then reappears seconds later, it just pops up on the PS3 version later as you get closer, while it's always visible on the 360 side.

The 360 uses the exact same technique (i.e., missing object gets drawn in on-the fly). Watch the video again, the signs on the 360 version also behave the same way.
Also the water surface shadow above already showed you the PS3 displayed objects even further away than the areas you highlighted (and further than 360's).

It's not conclusive but to me, from this capture and from the GT comparison video, it seems that the 360 has farther distances especially when from the helicopter.
You may be looking for things that are not there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen much larger explosions than that on 360 so I'd say that is not "The" type of explosion on either console.

Judging from my own eyes (and digicam) i cannot see any blurriness in this shot at all. Everything looks just fine:

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1000466og5.jpg

I think what many people moan about is the blurred image you get "outside" which is a post-filter heavily depending on the weather and imo more apparent on PS3.
When lighting changes (e.g. at night) everything looks just as sharp as in the above shot.

I have seen much larger explosions than that on 360 so I'd say that is not "The" type of explosion on either console.

I'm sure there are bigger explosions in the game than that. But these are two exploding cars...

I think some of these artifacts have to be seen personally and in-motion to internalize. The blur filter, shimmering, dithering, pop-ins, big and small explosions, frame rate drops, whatever can all be spotted if you look.

I chose to flag out the PS3 issues I saw because I want the devs to know what we like/dislike so that they can improve next time. It's not a big deal but hopefully, they can make design decisions closer to my needs next time :p

I believe they can do better. Unfortunately they are out of time (looking at the freezing problems on PS3 and 360)

Don't think this has been discussed here much, but it looks like the draw distance on the 360 is higher as well?

drawdistancegg2.jpg

yeah the buildings in the distance look much clearer on 360.

Yesterday i thought the 360 had the edge visually, in terms of clean textures and better color detail...and boy was i seeing it all wrong.

Those screenshot comparisions showing both the PS3 and 360 in the same pic, and the dithering up to 400% pics, really showed me something i was seeing on the PS3 version, but never understood.

Today, it became so obvious that the dithering on the PS3 version done better then on the 360, and the color details(i'm guess this must be FP16) are better then on the 360 version, in the same scen at the same time of day.

I did this by starting a new game for both(same time), driving Niko to the 69th st dinner and around it, keeping the TOD the same.

Inside, i put Niko by the edge of the dinner's main counter and from a distance i could see one NPC wearing glasses very clearly(PS3 version) but on the 360 version a different NPC was not as detailed.

Once i puit Niko about 10 feet away from the door, when i had him looking upwards, you could see details on the wall, that the 360 lacks.

Once outside, the difference were even more pronounced as buildings and staircases blended better together, while on the 360 it lacks that dithering..perhaps the color as well(FP10?), to make the scene as detailed.

Now, i will say the 360 version is cleaner and i'm guessing because of less dithering, and the up-close objects seems a bit larger(720p over 630p?), however from the mid-far range, all objects are not nearly as detailed and just look too pixelated.

Thanks guys for opening my eyes here about the possibility of FP16 on the PS3 and all around comparing of dithering, because while i see it during my comparisions, i could not pinpoint the reason as to why the PS3 version looked overall better.

I noticed as well to set the brightness to 80%, the contrast to 100% and the saturation to 20%, seem to get rid of most of the heavy yellow tint.

Don't get me wrong i love my 360(heck i used it everyday since it's launch) but it seems like the developers on the PS3 version really got into the platform's capabilities and delivered something real special.

Now if i can find a way to reduce the overall blur just a bit, it would be near perfect...

Thanks again guys, this is easily the best forum for 3D gaming technology on the net.

btw: I'm going through both versions in sp, as the GTA series has always been my fav, and it's really unique(in different ways) on both platforms.

The bigger explosions may be partly to do with them being much closer on the PS3 side of the comparison.

In the chopper shot the x360 has clouds...not on ps3...

All in all a wash IMHO (have both console don't care no flames please)

Don't think this has been discussed here much, but it looks like the draw distance on the 360 is higher as well?
Any shots where the helicopters are at the same height (and moving forward at the same velocity)? Without knowing how the games' LOD systems work, those seem like pretty large potential variables.

Could you elaborate on "richness"??
By "richness" I imagine _phil_ means intensity and duration (maybe the PS3 car had a full tank ;P), but, again, the two explosions are shot at different distances and seem (there's that word again) to be taken at different times after impact.

PS3 version:

shot from my TV

cca some altitude and i see the draw distance on PS3 is even better ...

Fotografia496.jpg

interesting explosion comparaison, seem really better on PS3. i'm surprised

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/ExplosionComp.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/PS3Explosions.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/nchoudhury/XboxExplosions.jpg

apparently the TV quality in the game is also better in the PS3 version (Bluray capacity probably)
it's really not about the size.It's the richness.
Explosions are the same between versions. Watch the comparison video posted earlier:
http://www.videogamer.com/videos/player.html?vid=1901.html (explosions at 2:51)

Somebody is just trying to pull a fast one on you with selective screenshots. Not all explosions are the same (and that's a good thing).

They are very nice. Well animated and great volume to the smoke. Just as good as Lost Planet, which was my previous favourite for explosions.

So is the general conclusion that the PS3 version doesn't have AF or FP16? I'm seeing lots of sites around the web saying "Beyond3D says the PS3 version has 8x AF and FP16" because of the driveby post above, but no real conversation on it.

From the screenies/videos I've seen, I don't see any more "dynamic range" nor any AF in the PS3 shots, but I'm curious to see what some of the more experienced devs here think.

Back