Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
For several of the points, especially the emotional ones, I think less is more would have worked.

Hehe
Naomis death was just hilariously bad, she injected herself once, then octacon started asking why bla bla bla.. End it there. Instead he goes on and on crying, and she injects herself ANOTHER !! time. Her death would imo been better if she just injected herself, then on to where Octagon goes "Why?" (I was to stoned that day (spring break!) to remember exactly if what naomi said (or if she said anything afterwards)) and just a few seconds after that and let her die allready. Dont inject yourself another time and go on and on for 2 minutes (maybe not that long, but it was long) before you fall over... To bad, i like the cutscenes with Raiden, he has some impressive moves..

Hehe
Naomis death was just hilariously bad, she injected herself once, then octacon started asking why bla bla bla.. End it there. Instead he goes on and on crying, and she injects herself ANOTHER !! time. Her death would imo been better if she just injected herself, then on to where Octagon goes "Why?" (I was to stoned that day (spring break!) to remember exactly if what naomi said (or if she said anything afterwards)) and just a few seconds after that and let her die allready. Dont inject yourself another time and go on and on for 2 minutes (maybe not that long, but it was long) before you fall over... To bad, i like the cutscenes with Raiden, he has some impressive moves..

The more you've
been injected the less effective it is apparently. Shes been injecting herself quite a bit. Some of the PMC's require 2 injections of the syringe instead of just 1 like the earlier PMC's. I believe it had something to do with that. Or perhaps since she had such a large amount of nanos in her 1 injection wasn't enough.

Actually, if Kojima edit MGS4 down and then add in the parts he cut out because of lack of space on BD-50, I will buy it another time ^_^

Naomi is a complicated woman... I think many of her parts are too lengthy, and yet there are still some more unexplained mysteries about her. If given more editing time, I believe she'd stand out better besides just look and legs :p

Many of the slide shows should be optional (dedicated to diehard fans) and also duplicated in the MGS Database.

Has anyone with a BD-ROM drive looked at the disc to see how many GB it uses?

And if it has redundant data for faster load times?

I'm a little curious. :)

About Otacon crying.
This was the 3rd time he got close to a woman and have her die soon after. The first was Sniper Wolf in MGS, the second his sister Emma who he had not seen for a long time in MGS2. He always cries afterwards so this is not unexpected.

Naomi's story ties back to MGS often. So if you missed it, her part is going to be difficult to understand.

I like the story a lot even if its a bit out there sometimes. And it could probably be a bit shorter, especially the ending. Previous MGS's had more action mixed in with the story parts so they were more entertaining if you didn't like the story.
I had hoped that there would be more Metal Gear fights during the cutscenes but those barely play an important part in MGS4, not even a new Metal Gear. Getting control of Rex was nice though.

They could have trimmed it, though. They could have relied a little less on cutting away to those slideshows for exposition. For several of the points, especially the emotional ones, I think less is more would have worked.
Sure, have Big Boss explain everything but then let him die, don't have him keep coming back with a '*hack-cough* oh, one more thing--' over and over.

That is anime type of melodrama and exposition. You either like it or you don't. You obviously don't, but respect the people that do and don't try to feed them your opinions over and over.
Myself and many others love the anime style of storytelling and that is one of the reasons we love MGS(4) so much. They shouldn't have trimmed anything, it is perfect the way it is, and the melodramatic Big Boss ending fits the style perfectly.
We like things complicated and full of intricate dialogue and revelations and that is why most of us are bored by games like Half Life or Mass Effect or other story driven games that appeal to the other category of gamers that MGS games don't appeal to.

Hehe

Ostepop -
she's injecting herself to stop her nanomachines from stopping Cancer in her. She's not injecting herself with a lethal injection.

They could have trimmed it, though. They could have relied a little less on cutting away to those slideshows for exposition. For several of the points, especially the emotional ones, I think less is more would have worked.
Sure, have Big Boss explain everything but then let him die, don't have him keep coming back with a '*hack-cough* oh, one more thing--' over and over.

I think the Big Boss section was one of the best TBH.
There are more long winded bits that aren't earned as much as Big Boss's death. I was on the edge watching that - because after playing MGS3 etc...I respected Big Boss a hell of a lot.
Yeah they could've edited that bit, but I don't think it matters one way or the other for that particular section.

I do have to partially agree with el_rika - I'm bored of Hollywood games (sorry Uncharted, as much as I love ya)...it's part of the reason I liked HS - it was an exposition in character acting, rather than Hollywood storytelling. I like Metal Gear because it borrows a cinematic style from Hollywood, but injects anime-style storytelling. Do I like all the cutscenes, nah, but I always think - I'll understand that better the second time through after I've done a bit of research (thanks Database).

And as much as Otacon should be crying, the whimpering performance is just lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Big Boss section was one of the best TBH.
There are more long winded bits that aren't earned as much as Big Boss's death. I was on the edge watching that - because after playing MGS3 etc...I respected Big Boss a hell of a lot.
Yeah they could've edited that bit, but I don't think it matters one way or the other for that particular section.
The Big Boss thing was great, yeah, especially with how the game builds him up to be Jesus Christ and how cool he is in MGS3. In fact, I'd say that MGS4 is amazing in terms of fanservice. Kojimapro really really really know what their fans like. Playing songs from previous MGSs, fighting all the different 'forms' of Liquid/Ocelot, actually getting to CONTROL a Metal Gear.

But I still maintain that they could have MAINTAINED these qualities by just having someone edit the script, and make a game that more people would love. I'm a fan of the stealth genre, and so Metal Gear was great. The only game this gen that gave me the same experience as MGS4 was CoD4, and MGS4 has a cooler (granted, anime) plot and a offers a lot more in terms of game time and replayability. So I would say it's the best game this gen so far (with the caveat I haven't played Uncharted yet), but I think that with a little bit more care to the script it could have been a game even the haters would have liked.

I do have to partially agree with el_rika - I'm bored of Hollywood games (sorry Uncharted, as much as I love ya)...it's part of the reason I liked HS - it was an exposition in character acting, rather than Hollywood storytelling. I like Metal Gear because it borrows a cinematic style from Hollywood, but injects anime-style storytelling. Do I like all the cutscenes, nah, but I always think - I'll understand that better the second time through after I've done a bit of research (thanks Database).
I don't disagree as to hollywood vs. anime; I like anime storytelling because I always feel that they know how ridiculous their plotlines really are, and they don't care while Hollywood seems to take itself a lot more seriously. I like absurd acrobatics and crazy stunts, I like bizarre plot twists and I can keep track of most of the characters in the story. More than once I was going 'What?!' following a reveal, and that doesn't happen often. Act 3 was my favorite act, even though it had an enormous amount of exposition. So I'm not hating on MGS4 or on the genre or even on monologuing. It's when things get a little Mojo Jojo and I'm going 'sheesh, when will this end' that you feel that they could have done with more editing.

That shot said 0 bytes free.

Can someone explain to me how a Blu-ray disc can be exactly 33GB down to the byte? don't they only come in 25 and 50GB?.

They only come in certain densities, the maximum capacity is reported as 25 or 50GB, but if they only put 33GB of data on it, then it only has 33GB of data. AFAIK Discs never show an amount free, unless its writeable.

That shot said 0 bytes free.

Can someone explain to me how a Blu-ray disc can be exactly 33GB down to the byte? don't they only come in 25 and 50GB?.
The same way you can put 1MB on a DVD and finalize it.

So I found the screenshot of Ubuntu showing 33GB total. I'm still curious as to how much data is redundant though. Anybody out there w/ a BD-ROM & a redundancy program? :smile2:

Oddly the Japanese version seems to be 29.9GB
http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2008/06/metal_gear_soli_9cba.html

That is anime type of melodrama and exposition. You either like it or you don't. You obviously don't, but respect the people that do and don't try to feed them your opinions over and over.
Myself and many others love the anime style of storytelling and that is one of the reasons we love MGS(4) so much. They shouldn't have trimmed anything, it is perfect the way it is, and the melodramatic Big Boss ending fits the style perfectly.
We like things complicated and full of intricate dialogue and revelations and that is why most of us are bored by games like Half Life or Mass Effect or other story driven games that appeal to the other category of gamers that MGS games don't appeal to.

It's liking Karas or not... For me MGS4 has been the perfect way to enjoy what is otherwise an anime story in a truly playable form. Over thhe years it has developed and matured but still has that sense of mystery that makes you question elements of how it works. It's a beautiful story transposed ito the world of gaming, not just a game but a little bit more. I doff my hat to Kojima, he made a film that is also a game and a story at the same time.

Well I must admit that it was indeed somewhat funny the fact that
big boss went on talking and talking/ But that was because he gave the impression that he was just about to die, then all of a sudden continued talking. Then he suddenly silences, you think he died, but starts talking again. The cigar falls of his mouth, you are sure he died again, but once again he continues. It reminded me of some parody movies, and a scene from Shrek :LOL:. Despite that that scene was touching and big Boss's conversation was needed. The only problem were the large pauses that made you think that Big Boss was finished but kept going

Well I must admit that it was indeed somewhat funny the fact that
big boss went on talking and talking/ But that was because he gave the impression that he was just about to die, then all of a sudden continued talking. Then he suddenly silences, you think he died, but starts talking again. The cigar falls of his mouth, you are sure he died again, but once again he continues. It reminded me of some parody movies, and a scene from Shrek :LOL:. Despite that that scene was touching and big Boss's conversation was needed. The only problem were the large pauses that made you think that Big Boss was finished but kept going

Heh... I have not watched the epilogue in full yet. I finished the game in 2 consecutive nights. I kinda slept through Big Boss's speech, to wait for my final result. I have replayed Act 4 and 5 four times now (not counting another full round of replay). ^_^

I am serious. They should release a Director's Cut about 6 months to a year from now.
AI or no AI, Naomi singlehandledly put the game plan together. Snake and Liquid are just pawns.
:p

As much as you can say that
Big Boss cutscene was long and overdrawn, Me , having played MGS3 and it being my favourite, i did not want Big Boss to die, and the *cough hack cough*prolongation was just to appease fans like me and who respect and like Naked Snake more than Solid Snake. After waiting for the whole game, and Naked Snake not making an appearance, I was really feeling bad that He just died getting burnt up defense less. It was good to see him standing and having the dignity we associate with him.It was fan service, if that is what u guys call it, and yes, it was required. I wanted to see Him in his full glory and wanted him to pass on information to his son, Solid Snake. And we don't want him to die immediately. It was a play mechanic, is he dead now, no ... he's is not. Something that has been happening since the first MGs, where Big Boss
would die and come back the next time. It was a joke pointed at that and also a fan service.

I'll quote myself again here:
If the dialogue and the way of presentation doesn't appeal to you, it can appeal to others. Every art form or means of entertainment has this fact endowed in it. I didn't like the Drebin stories of B&B unit, they might have worked if they had shown flashbacks like the The Boss story before the final battle in MGS3. Even for that the stories were all too similar. I would like to tell you one thing Ostepop, this game was trying to tie up the stories, you might not be understanding the meaning of some dialogues which people who have played the other MGSs were meaningfully nodding at. It happens with stories whose main aim is to finish stuff, Like POTC:At Worlds end: it was a good movie for people who had seen the previous two, for others it was a meaningless mashup. (I did not bring this up as a perfect example, but coz of the similarity of the situation). So. there may have been pauses in the dialogue where u might have said that "why are they looking at each other!" , whereas others were recollecting memories to tie up with it. There is no good or bad in it, its subjective, and for people who were not interested they gave the option to run MKII around and find stuff, if u do care for the story but not much.

There are moments where the gameplay falters and I think MGS3 gave me more control over my actions, but the way everything has come together and has been explained, made playable even for people new to MGS and the way it has been presented feels too good for a game.That is what has gathering the praises, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
:???: Can everyone please spoiler tag the
Big Boss ending
parts. A few weeks ago some of us were being very careful not to read any story spoilers. And now here we are spoiling it ourselves.

Perhaps a mod. can edit those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back