Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie question but how do you perform a simple stealth attack. I want to sneak up behind someone and just knowck him or chock him out. I tried hitting R1 with the rifle equipped but not in aimng mode

How does the game title us ? Some guy finished with the "Eagle" title, some finished with "InchWorm", etc. (Is that their nick or something else ?)

Its a sort of rank based on how you played. But its somewhat meaningless because they dont provide a list of all the ranks.
I do have a list for MGS 3. For Eagle it said finished on extreme difficulty in under 5 hours. You get higher ranks for playing on a higher difficulty, fast playing, low number of saves, kills, alerts, serious injury and dont use special items. For MGS 4 its probably something similar.

If you put the end of act 3 and the start of act 4 together you get a cutscene almost 90 minutes long. You do get to save once during the end of act 3 and you can restart act 4 at the briefing. This all starts immediately after the boss fight in act 3 so you might want make sure that you have some time to spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say that there's a gameplay sequence in Act 3 that is the most visually arresting scene I've ever seen on a videogame.

I'm talking about the
bike chase scene, of course
. It left me speechless, I was mesmerized :oops: due to what my eyes were seeing on the screen, so much so that I almost forgot to shoot the enemies some times. :LOL:

I've seen people complain that it's not hd... I don't care, it's unbelievable.

I'm talking about the
bike chase scene, of course
. It left me speechless, I was mesmerized :oops: due to what my eyes were seeing on the screen, so much so that I almost forgot to shoot the enemies some times. :LOL:
She said as much to me during that sequence... "Have you tried AIMING the gun?!?" Oddly, this helped, because I switched to first-person aiming and made many more kills that way. Very cool sequence, though.

My personal favorite? Most of Act 4, especially the end. (serious spoiler, don't even think of reading it if you haven't finished Act 4)
Actually DRIVING a Metal Gear for the first time ever, and in combat against another Metal Gear!!! Two words: F***ING EPIC.

Just picked up the game today. I haven't been following the game in the press at all, so it kind of came as a surprise to me that he's all old looking because of some medical condition. It was oddly kind of sad to see Snake that way, he's always been such a bad ass character! Anyways, the game seems cool so far. Regarding the longer cut scenes mentioned in this thread, is there any way to pause them so that I can watch a bit and resume watching the rest another time if need be? If not, is it a big deal to just skip them or would I really be missing out? It's not a huge deal either way, but if the game lets you skip them and perhaps watch them again another time that would be cool.

Oh one more question, do you guys think the game benefits a lot from a dual shock controller? I almost picked up the rumble controller at the same time, but skipped it for now since I don't know how effectively the game uses it. Is it a must have for this game, or no big deal?

Regarding the longer cut scenes mentioned in this thread, is there any way to pause them so that I can watch a bit and resume watching the rest another time if need be?
Yes, they can be paused with the Start button. Pressing Start brings up a screen with two options, Skip and Continue. Continue will simply start playing the scene again.

joker454 said:
Oh one more question, do you guys think the game benefits a lot from a dual shock controller? I almost picked up the rumble controller at the same time, but skipped it for now since I don't know how effectively the game uses it. Is it a must have for this game, or no big deal?
It helps, but I don't think it's required at all. You get a reaction out of one of the cutscenes if you have the DS3, though.

Yes, they can be paused with the Start button. Pressing Start brings up a screen with two options, Skip and Continue. Continue will simply start playing the scene again.

Ah ok, easy enough. I didn't even think to try that since hitting start often skips cutscenes in other games.

I got Metal Gear Solid 4 at a midnite launch and started playing a new game on Big Boss Hard. I am now almost done with the game. I've played over 30 hours. I am playing with a whole lot more restarts and deaths than the average player. I have been trying to make it thru the game by any means possible. It really is very difficult. Here follows my impressions of the AI.

I don't play any PC games, so I can't speak for the AI in those games. But among console games, MGS4 is the best.

I should mention this... during my ramblings, I won't spoil any specifics but I may hint at an overarching revelation about the game that was gradually revealed to me by the game itself... becoming obvious by the fourth act. It's vague.... but if you are interested in my take on the gameplay I have to share it with you. I'm trying to say that if you think that taking the game apart a bit would spoil some of the magic for you then you may not want to read on.

So every scene in the game is a self-contained setpiece. Maybe people playing thru on medium see them strung together, but I and dying and retrying even the easiest one 5 times. On many scenes, I lose count of how many times I die. Spending 3 or 4 hours to get a 20 minute suscessful run of a particular scene is not uncommon at all. There are hundreds of individual scenes, each different from the last. These scenes are appearing from my perspective, like linear levels of games back when they where balls hard. Each scene is devious.

Now what makes this gameplay so amazing is that the scenes are each self contained evironments, whi th AI units dropped in and patrolling, or fighting, or doing whatever. When a scene starts, the enemies are simply let loose into the environment, and completly run by their ai. This creates a little playground for you the player to excerscise your skill complete to your own satisfaction.

Not unlike Mario Galaxy.... A quantum leap in an established gameplay mechanic (the one it's predesessor invented) followed by brilliant level design that thouroughly explores every nook and crany of that novel new mechanic. In Mario Galaxy 3d platforming was spontaneously evolved into variable-dimensional platforming. Here in MGS4, stealth gameplay is evolved into a live and dynamic deception.

Here's how: Each individual unit in the game has an ai. The types of behavior units exhibit in this game are staggering in their variety. Most of them are very complex. By complex I mean that they have a very large number of possible actions, are able to communicate to one another (some via network. try beating back 20 frogs on Hard!) and as individuals, are largely unpredictable. Now take two big handfuls of ai soldiers and throw them into an exquisitly designed 3d antfarm not unlike something out of Mario Galaxy and see them crawl around and patrol the place of as they see fit. Or set them to fight against each other. Or swarm in on the player in coordinated waves. There are so many eniemies, all behaving so intelligently and richly interacting with each other and the player... On the large scale that the game regularly achieves, a pattern emerges, and the behaviour of the game world is actually predictable.

It's a testement to the game design that almos every time I've been hung up on a point-to-topoint scenario, the solution that ended up working for me was total stealth. Even at this stage in the game, where I can afford every nasty weapon on offer, none of them has been enough to blaze thru most of these scenarios. After dozens of attempts trying to shoot my way thru a real funhouse in act 5, I took a break, then sat back down and did a slow, quiet sneak. Getting this far on Hard has forced me to get to know the behavior of Frogs. And how that is different than Elite PMCs. Did anyone else notice that Frogs communicate really well with each other but not with any other units? I've had to keep that in mind along with every other bit of knowledge because this game is really hard! This is way at the forfront of stealth and action gaming.

In fact, I thkn this is actually the unification of stealth and action. It's really just and action game now. It's just one that takes into account the enemie's level of awarness to such an awesome level. The fact that I can just jump into these amazing set piece levels and do whatever I please to meet the objective. It's jsut a matter of getting to know how these little bastards think ;D ...

What got me thinking about this was reading comments about some of you simply blasting thru scenes having failed the steal route. Try playing on hard mode where enemy reactions outpace your own. Can't just shoot your way out of everything.

MGO production release?

i.e., after the beta period.

Crayon said:
I don't play any PC games, so I can't speak for the AI in those games. But among console games, MGS4 is the best.

Woah... so far (in Act 2), the enemies may be troublesome to shake off, but I don't think they warrant the #1 AI. I don't want the game spoiled, so I skipped most of your posts. Will come back to them later.

I opened the pack and noticed that the Bray Disc has wavy patterns in reflection?!?!:???: Is it coz of dual layer thing?
My other game discs used to have plain mirror like reflections!

Guys when I went to the main menu and opened Mission Briefing I was shown the vdo of Sunny making eggs an dthen the whole dialogue b/n Colonel and Snake and sunny serving eggs to people n all.The trouble is that I was not shown this vdo when I was playing the game!:oops: When i was playing The video started with Sunny cooking eggs and saying those numbers and ended there itself! She did not go down and there was no dialogue b/n Snake and Campbell!

Looks like the video got skipped midway(I didn't skip it!)

Is it coz of the above mentioned wavy patterns on the data side of the disc?
Has it happened with anyone else?
Should I take it back?:cry:

No... you have not reached that point yet.
The trailer is shown at the beginning of Act 2. It's a very cool trailer because you can take control of Mk II's camera, wheel around and bump into the characters

No... you have not reached that point yet.
The trailer is shown at the beginning of Act 2. It's a very cool trailer because you can take control of Mk II's camera, wheel around and bump into the characters

BUt, I got the short vid of Sunny making eggs saying something like Solidus is whatever.This mission briefing also starts the same way!

Even I thought the same that I hadn't got the MKII by then, but they showed that Otacon is still making it , and also the vid was unlocked .You mean that it comes at the beginning of Act II. So, sunny will be introduced then? Then why is it unlocked?

I am confused:???: I will start the game all over again.

But does your disc have the wavy reflections(distorted mirror like) on the data side, or is it like the usual disc of Resistance? I am worried that it is the effect of heat or something.DO check your disc and tell .

My PS3 is in the office. Perhaps someone else can help.
The Act 2 cutscene has something similar and more

You should be able to knock them out with the rifle equipped, but for more CQC attacks you'll need to equip a smaller weapon.

Nah the only thing that happened is that he got hit them turned and started shooting at me with a red exclamation,which of course breaks the stealth and alerts that guards.
I have tot say this game is far better than previous MGS games I've tried but it still feels overly complicated and clunky to control. So far I just havent found a feel or groove to this game where I'm relaxed with the controls and having fun.
Edit:FYI this probably isn't news but just in case,if you let the first start screen run without starting a game,it ends and you are treated to some MGS video snippets ot commercials. I'm really not sure about some of the video snippets and what they mean,some of them seem so obscure.I guess you have to be a previous MGS fan to get them all.

BUt, I got the short vid of Sunny making eggs saying something like Solidus is whatever.This mission briefing also starts the same way!

Even I thought the same that I hadn't got the MKII by then, but they showed that Otacon is still making it , and also the vid was unlocked .You mean that it comes at the beginning of Act II. So, sunny will be introduced then? Then why is it unlocked?

I am confused:???: I will start the game all over again.

But does your disc have the wavy reflections(distorted mirror like) on the data side, or is it like the usual disc of Resistance? I am worried that it is the effect of heat or something.DO check your disc and tell .

You never see the act 1 briefing if you start a new game, you have to select it in the main menu if you want to view it. I believe it is done for cinematic reasons, i guess they want you to get straight into the action rather than all the talking of the scene you are refering to. It even mentions it in the instruction manual that its a good idea to do training mode -> act1 briefing -> new game.
Its nothing to do with your disc, its done intentionally to preserve the all action introduction to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back