Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the original MGS, AC!D and Portable Ops are great games too, pretty independent from the rest of the series.

Don't know about ACID ( another what if timeline ala ghost babel ? ) but i didn't find portable ops good especially gameplay wise, that and it further retcons BB character and this time along with grey fox.

Dear lord, Episode 1 - 3 should have never been made. MGS is not that bad since the gameplay is interesting.

One of the reasons why I’m still buying the games.

You are going to hell :LOL:

Well, you can't really blame him. It's always them who started first.

I am trying not to use the tranquilizer because it takes away much of the fun and scariness. Using real gun is more stressful, or CQC. My Snake truly fought like an old man in CQC encounters. I might have to go for a 2 day intensive training in the range.

Don't know about ACID ( another what if timeline ala ghost babel ? ) but i didn't find portable ops good especially gameplay wise, that and it further retcons BB character and this time along with grey fox.

You'll have to pardon me. I am a true MGS noob from the story perspective. In short, I don't know what the hell you're talking about :devilish:
I love the Portable Ops army building dynamics. I can't stop building my own army.

In fact, usually when long cutscene plays, I swivelled the chair and continued my work.

I would never do that......its MGS, and cutscenes are what takes it to Stellar from great! If you had played MGS1,2 or 3, you wouldn't do that either. I can understand as I have played MGS2 and 3 and am really anxious to see what happens to the characters I know. I can't care for MGS 1 characters as I have no feelings for them(Gray fox, Meryl, psycho mantis.etc) but everytime I see SNake, Otacon,Raiden,Eva,Vamp,Sunny in the trailers, I feel so compelled to know what happens to them. Its all in the cutscenes, the brilliant play with emotions.

I am still waiting for my MGS4, by the way :cry:

(Snake ! Don't die!)

I would never do that......its MGS, and cutscenes are what takes it to Stellar from great! If you had played MGS1,2 or 3, you wouldn't do that either. I can understand as I have played MGS2 and 3 and am really anxious to see what happens to the characters I know. I can't care for MGS 1 characters as I have no feelings for them(Gray fox, Meryl, psycho mantis.etc) but everytime I see Snake, Otacon,Raiden,Eva,Vamp,Sunny in the trailers, I feel so compelled to know what happens to them. Its all in the cutscenes, the brilliant play with emotions.

I had to multitask while playing MGS4 because I wouldn't have time to play otherwise.

I enjoy the cutscenes but I can't remember the story. By the time I reach the end of the game, I already forgot the beginning :). I don't like Johnny (Akiba) Sasaki. I have no love for Ocelot or Otacon. I love the moments of fun and the mechanics in MGS4 (e.g., the Sunny cutscenes where you can pilot Mk II around). The quality is also distinguished enough for me to dwell on it.

I am still waiting for my MGS4, by the way :cry:

(Snake ! Don't die!)

Take your time to enjoy MGS4 when it's here.

There is a sense of urgency for me to learn CQC. If I don't perfect the skill, I'll be humiliated in MGO. Getting defeated by CQC is worse than gunshot death. The penalty is higher because the enemies can use me to sabotage the entire team. Such is one of the interesting dynamics in MGO.

Take your time to enjoy MGS4 when it's here.

Oh! yes! I will !
I had to multitask while playing MGS4 because I wouldn't have time to play otherwise.

Atleast you could multitask ! The work pressure in our studio has gone over the roof, and I think I will be able to play it for 2 hours or so on Sundays,so.....It will be a looong MGS for me! Which is good in a way;)! just that I won't be able to join B3D in play discussions.

I could swear i could see some blocking in the sky of some of the cutscenes and when vs raging raven. Anyone got any idea what would cause this?.

I'm at the start of act 3 now. There tons references to previous games and easter eggs to be found. All the plotlines are getting a little difficult to keep track off, but thats to be expected as they truly want to tie up any lose ends in the story.

The enemies still have some unnatural ability to find me. They think they saw something, so they investigate. I hide in a place they didn't see me go to. They walk straight towards me and with 99% camouflage still find me. So I run away past tons of guards accidentally into the next area and I'm safe.:cry:

Just finished it.

And. If you have been following the other games.

You will be in, for the best, cutscene, you will see for years to come.

In The Netherlands its 55 euro (at least at mediamarkt) which, well, seems to be worth it! :) And cheaper than most games, which is great.

I could swear i could see some blocking in the sky of some of the cutscenes and when vs raging raven. Anyone got any idea what would cause this?.

I was wondering about the texture/effect colors. Watching all 4 gamersyde HQ videos I saw in multiple places smoke, textures, effects that had green/purple stains like if they where 8/16-bit color with or without dithering.

I wonder Is the AI shown in the latest Gamersyde video representative? Becouse it was borderline dead or braindead, some of the worst I've seen for ages.

Pick any video exept cut-scene. It is constant and not screw ups from time to time.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6627_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Nebula, could you find anything else bad about MGS4 from videos and SS? I think that boat has sailed, the game and reviews are out. ;)

Nebula, could you find anything else bad about MGS4 from videos and SS? I think that boat has sailed, the game and reviews are out. ;)

I havent read the reviews, did it geet good score or? And didnt look for bad thigns but the AI stood out like a sore thumb in that videos hence my question, no need to get defensive! ;)

I havent read the reviews, did it geet good score or? And didnt look for bad thigns but the AI stood out like a sore thumb in that videos hence my question, no need to get defensive! ;)

I didn't watch the videos, but I noticed nothing special one way or another about the AI in game. But surely the reviews, either player or professional, would have caught 'some of the worst AI in ages', right?

I didn't watch the videos, but I noticed nothing special one way or another about the AI in game. But surely the reviews, either player or professional, would have caught 'some of the worst AI in ages', right?

Well those videos shows AI that gets stuck on objects, run into you (suicide?), wait for you to shot them point-blank (stare at you for several seconds) etc. Gives the impression of broken AI rutines.

The AI is very strongly linked to difficulty level. If you don't play at a harder difficulty, then the AI is fairly dumb - the brightness of the AI is the most important aspect of the difficulty level, so it's here you're going to see the biggest differences.

I wonder Is the AI shown in the latest Gamersyde video representative? Becouse it was borderline dead or braindead, some of the worst I've seen for ages.

Pick any video exept cut-scene. It is constant and not screw ups from time to time.

I've only played for 2-3 hours (at second hardest difficulty) but the AI seems braindead. They all just follow the same scripted path over and over again, getting by them just requires some timing and cravling.

Killing them is easy, and when they are out to kill you, its never very hard to kill of any guards that may pursuit you, or lose them. (just stand still next to any wall .)

I was wondering about the texture/effect colors. Watching all 4 gamersyde HQ videos I saw in multiple places smoke, textures, effects that had green/purple stains like if they where 8/16-bit color with or without dithering.

Like this one ? http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7458_en.html

Note that there are 2 groups of soldiers. For example, in this clip, Snake is with the militia, so they ignored him even after he surprised them sometimes (because of the Octocamo suit). The signature "exclamation mark" applies to allies and foes all the same.

In this battle, the PMC soldiers are mostly in fortified positions. So you can't really see the search and destroy AI. The far away enemies and one tank were also fenced off to provide artillery support only.

The enemy AI in MGS4 is spawn-based like CoD4 ( :( ). But unlike the latter, the enemies are smarter and more lethal during alerts. They also carry a variety of weapons.

In general, there are also more than one way to clear the level. In fact, I used a totally different route
(back alley and roof access)
to get them.

Well those videos shows AI that gets stuck on objects, run into you (suicide?), wait for you to shot them point-blank (stare at you for several seconds) etc. Gives the impression of broken AI rutines.

There is a lag before they react to you (so that the player can execute their moves I presume). If you're using CQC or stun knife, there is also a lag before Snake reacts to my thumbstick. This is one of the reasons I find CQC a little difficult (probably some timing I need to adhere to ?). The PMC soldiers are more deadly in groups. Even though it may be easy to deal with individuals, when they decide to swarm you.... expect to be grenaded and thrown.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this battle, the PMC soldiers are mostly in fortified positions. So you can't really see the search and destroy AI.

The other videos show 'search and destroy' aswell as "flanking" (dont know really what to call it for this game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back