Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to pick up my game now. All the review scores are here (including the latest 1UP's score):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11374094&postcount=18

*snip*

I am going to downgrade my expectation a few notches just so I can enjoy the experience more. Taking Edge's hints, there are probably quite a few long cutscenes (though skippable) to wade through Solid Snake's history.

Mod : Removed the list, as it was just padding. The link works. ;) Suffice to say lots of 9s and 10s, probably about a 95% average, with 80% the lowest. GameRankings and Metacritic only have a dozen or so scores listed so far.

Wow looking at all those scores really makes the Eurogamer "8" stand out.

But then I guess that was probably what they were going for.

In any game review, there are extreme scores. Try between 88% and 33% for one title (that was actually a pretty good game despite flaws).

I'll reiterate the important moderator mandate - do not discuss review scores here! This thread is for discussion of the game, how it plays, and whether people like it or not.

If anyone is still on the fence about getting a PS3 for this game, Wallmart is having a one day sale (June 12): Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) 80GB + Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle for $499, plus $100 Walmart Gift Card. Not too bad!

and for those of you in Canada (i think western canada only) real canadian superstore will be having a tax free event, and i think will have a 30 off 250 coupon starting tomorrow until sunday. it will probably be hard to find the MGS4 bundle though.

Some screens:

Mod : I've removed these pics as they are already in your first impressions thread, and I'm sure you appreciate we're keeping this thread as spoiler free as possible, even free of pics at the moment!

If anyone is still on the fence about getting a PS3 for this game, Wallmart is having a one day sale (June 12): Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) 80GB + Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle for $499, plus $100 Walmart Gift Card. Not too bad!

Hmm... is it just one day ? I thought they are running Fathers Day sale for all Blu-ray players (including PS3) ?

EDIT: Some BestBuy stores are willing to match Walmart's deal too. So if you have the ads and Walmart has run out of stock, you can take it to the former for a try.

GametTrailers Metal Gear Retrospective Part Six.

[gt]35094.html?type=wmv[/gt]

good summary of the story from beginning. (love the theme music)

They call this a stealth game? You almost get forced to shoot everyone. I'm a little disappointed so far.

The theme is "No where to hide". I heard it can be challenging but there are many ways to solve problems. What difficulty are you playing ? You may need to take sides so that the affiliated party will help you (I haven't played yet). If the control is similar to MGO, then you may need a little more time to get used to them (affected me too).

They call this a stealth game? You almost get forced to shoot everyone. I'm a little disappointed so far.
Did you play the original PS1 game? I remember it vividly. There were green VR training scenarios (all we really played). After stealthing sneakily through the level, we'd watch the Ideal Solution, and the player just ran through shooting everyone and everything. In particular one mission was across an open plan area with cameras etc. We were sneakling, waiting round corners, under cameras. The ideal solution ran straight up the middle, bang bang bang, job done!

As other's point out, I think the game is more options. Outside of Thief, has any game really tried 100% stealth?

I've certainly try'ed. Twice now they have told me that I should remember that this a sneaking mission, and oh it may a good idea to team up with one side and start killing the other side with them.:???: The battlefield is very large. Trying to find a way in without being detected is very difficult because you dont know where to go. So your progress is slow, and you'll probably get detected anyway. In which case you can chose, fight or run away. So I run of to a distant corner where probably wont find me. Surprisingly 4 soldiers walk straight towards me and stop near me. I'm still hidden by the octocamo but a second later they find me anyway. It all works very counter intuitively.

I'm playing on Solid Normal. I have also played MGS, MGS 2 and MGS 3. Controls have always needed sometime to get used to and its the same here. This is actually the first MGS where the confirm and cancel haven't been reversed like japanese games have.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Octocamo suit does not provide invisibility. There should be a percentage figure showing how well hidden you are.

Is it possible to switch difficulty midway ? May be you can play the easier level first and then come back later once you know the map. Oh god, why do you have to ask questions at this hour. I am still working [Look at watch].

EDIT: Don't move when they are beside you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Octocamo suit does not provide invisibility. There should be a percentage figure showing how well hidden you are.

Is it possible to switch difficulty midway ? May be you can play the easier level first and then come back later once you know the map. Oh god, why do you have to ask questions at this hour. I am still working [Look at watch].

EDIT: Don't move when they are beside you.

Of coarse you need to keep still, and you'll get around 75% invisibly if you do. I dont think its possible to switch difficulty and I dont want to.

The game becomes pretty easy if you start killing one side. The other will move up on the frontline along side you, and you can actually explore the battlefield and pick up everything you want. But not giving up on sneaking just yet. Maybe there are some better sneaking levels up ahead.

The game becomes pretty easy if you start killing one side. The other will move up on the frontline along side you, and you can actually explore the battlefield and pick up everything you want. But not giving up on sneaking just yet. Maybe there are some better sneaking levels up ahead.

Ah okay, you were killing people from all sides ? No wonder you have no place to hide >_<

Oh wait, you actually tried to sneak around without killing people. That's very noble of you. If you can do so, let me know. I would like to try it too.

I've played about .5-1 hrs worth and all that I can assess right now is that it is definitely metal gear and it looks great. Otherwise I have just finished the prologue and have viewed some of Act 1. For anyone who is looking for a potential easter egg - that I have yet to test - note that
when Sunny is frying eggs she sings a combination of numbers that appear to be codec channels. I jotted down 106.30 and will test it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back