Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cooler character with similar moves would probably be enough. Like Big Boss in MGS 3.

Great news everyone. Last years MGS 4 E3 trailer can now be found in the european PSN store. It even has japanese voices. Thank you so much Sony.

Raiden has all the same moves as Snake except he does a cartwheel when Snake would roll. But both moves knock down an enemy. The problem was that it was just hard to identify with the guy. And he's nowhere near as cool as Snake. Raiden is somewhat hated by western games. Kojima never revealed him before the release of MGS 2. Even showing footage of areas with Snake in the scene where in the game you can only get as Raiden. Everyone was very surprised when they suddenly had to play as Raiden, and most weren't happy. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who had a similar experience as me were the majority.

You do realize that what you describe in all your posts is a matter of perception and personal taste and not something that is necessarily valid or factual for everyone ;)

I didn't say everyone. And disliking Raiden has even been talked about in interviews with Kojima. He even pokes fun at him in MGS 3.
You can start MGS 3 with wearing a Raiden mask and if dont take it off you'll get a codec call telling you to take off that stupid mask. There's an extremely similar looking called Raikov. He has a homo sexual relationship with Volgin and you get change to kil him if you want to. Even in MGS 2 the president checks to see if he's a guy in MGS 2 and the same happens again in MGS 3 when your disguised as Raikov.

Edit: I just looked up the MGS 2 review from IGN. It described the problems I had with the story exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say everyone. And disliking Raiden has even been talked about in interviews with Kojima. He even pokes fun at him in MGS 3.
You can start MGS 3 with wearing a Raiden mask and if dont take it off you'll get a codec call telling you to take off that stupid mask. There's an extremely similar looking called Raikov. He has a homo sexual relationship with Volgin and you get change to kil him if you want to. Even in MGS 2 the president checks to see if he's a guy in MGS 2 and the same happens again in MGS 3 when your disguised as Raikov.

Edit: I just looked up the MGS 2 review from IGN. It described the problems I had with the story exactly.

Well you are talking about it as if it is a fact while this depends on taste. Also it doesnt mean that because IGN said they had the same problems that there are there since there are many that didnt consider them a problem at all. This is again a matter of perception and not necessarily an issue with the game's plot or design. Some works of art simply can not appeal to the masses or certain types of people due to their intentional peculiarities or because they go against the existing stereotypes.

Kojima said he likes Raiden btw. He intentionally punished him though as a self-sarcasm attempt and as a response to many who didnt like playing as Raiden. And this is again a result of stereotyping of how a main character should be. Raiden served greatly his purpose and I am glad for the course Hideo has taken with it even if many dont get it.

I'd bet fewer people would scream bloody murder now if MGS4 forced you to play part of the game as the bad a&* cyborg ninja Raiden.

Raiden in MGS2 came off as a protagnist that Kojima didn't want gamers to particularly like, as he displayed a persona that didn't fit the top notch super soldier mold unlike Snake.

Sure its all a matter of perception. And I dont mind more diversity in main characters and story lines. Its just unfortunate that it back fired little on some of the fans of the original.

I'd bet fewer people would scream bloody murder now if MGS4 forced you to play part of the game as the bad a&* cyborg ninja Raiden.

I like the new Raiden a lot better. Hopefully it stay that way.

Raiden in MGS2 came off as a protagnist that Kojima didn't want gamers to particularly like, as he displayed a persona that didn't fit the top notch super soldier mold unlike Snake.

He definitely succeeded there. Perhaps if I wasn't allowed to start as Snake and knew about Raiden before the release I wouldn't be distracted as much by trying to trade him for Snake.

Kojima purposely did not reveal Raiden as the playable character though to play with us and catch us off guard. He even placed Snake in Raiden's place in scenes where he wasnt playable in his trailers. It was Snake for example that was depicted fighting Fortune instead of Raiden. He really likes f*cking with us :LOL:

I was extremely surprised when I saw someone who did not look like Snake being called with that name during the introduction to the Big Shell and I was even more surprised when I saw someone else being playable. It made the experience kind of more refreshing than I was expecting. It served as a mystery to me on what was Raiden's role, Snake's part and I liked the fact that I was trying to find the real whereabouts of one of my favorite characters. For once I could observe his greatness as it was being contrasted with "me" in the role of Raiden. I wasnt Snake but I joined forces with him.

And he's doing it again. Not letting any reviewers reveal anything more about the story. I guess he has some surprise's in store for us. I'm confidant it i'll turn out alright. Kojima is still one of the best developers out there.

Perfect 10s except for lasting appeal (9.5). I think the reviewer forgot about Metal Gears Online for lasting appeal. >_< There is no mention of it at all.

EDIT:
Eurogamer: 8/10
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143797
(No mention of MGO again)

I think they've been told to review them separately. Which I find odd, because COD4, GTA4, and Halo 3 wouldn't have got the 10/10's they got without the MP. I expect they would have got 8/10, 9/10, 7/10 respectively.

It sounds like Kojima has some surprising twist mid-way into the game, and the reviewer didn't quite like it:

It's at this point that Kojima pulls the rug from under your feet. The MGS4 you were expecting, it turns out, is no more than half of the game you get.

We're not going to explain how, because everything that follows deserves not to be spoiled - not the plot, but the string of ideas that break Metal Gear Solid down and rebuild it, in several brilliant and surprising ways, before the game is done.

Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.

The other reviewers so far seem to appreciate the change.

Leaving out MGO is like reviewing Halo and CoD without the multiplayer portion.

It sounds like Kojima has some surprising twist mid-way into the game, and the reviewer didn't quite like it:

The other reviewers so far seem to appreciate the change.

Leaving out MGO is like reviewing Halo and CoD without the multiplayer portion.

Thing is, he starts the review saying what makes people love MGS, makes some hate it. He then goes on to say that if you dont like MGS games you won't like MGS4, which is why he doesn't like MGS4 and that he want Snake to go away, because he doesn't like MGS.

What kind of reviewing is that?

Plus, why review while taking into consideration those who hate the series? Surely that's moronic. What about the people who hate Halo3, or the people who hate GTA4? Were they ever considered?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing is, he starts the review saying what makes people love MGS, makes some hate it. He then goes on to say that if you dont like MGS games you won't like MGS4, which is why he doesn't like MGS4 and that he want Snake to go away, because he doesn't like MGS.

What kind of reviewing is that?

Plus, why review while taking into consideration those who hate the series? Surely that's moronic. What about the people who hate Halo3, or the people who hate GTA4? Were they ever considered?

Exactly, and according to him some hate it=millions hate it. I may not be the most up-to-date on MGS but if millions hate it they've been awfully quiet about it.

Two lines in the final paragraph say it all for the reviewer:

"You're sorry to see Snake go. But should you be?"
"We love you, Snake. Don't come back."

How does someone with such an obvious dislike for a series get such a plum assignment? And this only his 3rd review.

I was initially relieved when it wasn't Kristan Reed and her fanboyish love for anything MS related but I'd rather have suffered thru her "it woulda been better on 360" innuendo than the tripe that was written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back