Metal Gear Solid 4 post:#1067

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for sharing. That is a good read. Although I was disappointed to hear about the low res textures and the numerous "areas" separated by loading screens. I was hoping the world would be seamless, akin to Uncharted.

You can, if you like, sprint through its environments and leave the battles to themselves, exploiting the fact that numerous load screens reset the enemy positions.

MGS4 is, you feel, a compromised game, with pervasive aliasing and nagging low-res textures, but a stunning presentation nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing. That is a good read. Although I was disappointed to hear about the low res textures and the numerous "areas" separated by loading screens. I was hoping the world would be seamless, akin to Uncharted.

Hm, not sure about that sentence...needs more context. Oh and MGS2 had low-res textures for its time :D

Aliasing...I think the flickering shadows are annoying. I hope ND arent the only ones to have cracked shadows this genreation.

Hm, not sure about that sentence...needs more context. Oh and MGS2 had low-res textures for its time :D

Aliasing...I think the flickering shadows are annoying. I hope ND arent the only ones to have cracked shadows this genreation.

No, especially compared to competition at that time.

No, especially compared to competition at that time.

I ll have to agree with deepbrown about the textures. The game didnt have much textures. But it didnt need them either. The art direction the game has taken didnt make highly detailed textures necessary. The tanker and the cells were clean and metallic.

The Dreamcast had games with much more detailed textures.

Yeah but I loved how it maxed everything else ;)

No other game felt as next gen as MGS2 in its time to me. It showed anything Sony has promised the PS2 could do from the tech demos plus more

Or probably bloom and DOF was used to hide the lack of detail. ;)

Regardless I dont think the game has lost anything in terms of lighting compared to the specific trailer they are comparing it to. I think it is improved

But it indeed lost a lot of lighting, self shadowing, surface reflections and such since the very very first trailer.

I ve compared HD versiosn of the first trailer and the newest and the unbelievable self shadowing and the superb lighting were taken to the basic levels we are experiencing in typical good looking games.

Really that lighting and self shadowing did tremendous difference to the visuals!! Unbelievable difference! It is a shame that Hideo Kojima didnt have the chance to produce the quality he wanted to because there were very very specific details in the original that made me GA GA

For example there is an instance where Snake falls and some debris fall on his back reacting realistically. One side of his face was covered in dust and sweat. It was very realistic. You could also see his tongue. The self shadowing was everywhere and high res too. No other game has shown such self shadowing. But it is now gone and replaced with lower res shadows. At the end of the old trailer you also see that the floor is shining once he got outside the building. Now it is gone. Also particle effects are more. Dust and pieces of paper were flying everywhere. And in addition it looked much more smooth in terms of framerate

Or probably bloom and DOF was used to hide the lack of detail. ;)
I doubt it. It doesn't look any more detailed now. Also, lighting had a softer look that looked better on the characters. But oh well....

Regardless I dont think the game has lost anything in terms of lighting compared to the specific trailer they are comparing it to. I think it is improved

But it indeed lost a lot of lighting, self shadowing, surface reflections and such since the very very first trailer.

I ve compared HD versiosn of the first trailer and the newest and the unbelievable self shadowing and the superb lighting were taken to the basic levels we are experiencing in typical good looking games.

Really that lighting and self shadowing did tremendous difference to the visuals!! Unbelievable difference! It is a shame that Hideo Kojima didnt have the chance to produce the quality he wanted to because there were very very specific details in the original that made me GA GA

For example there is an instance where Snake falls and some debris fall on his back reacting realistically. One side of his face was covered in dust and sweat. It was very realistic. You could also see his tongue. The self shadowing was everywhere and high res too. No other game has shown such self shadowing. But it is now gone and replaced with lower res shadows. At the end of the old trailer you also see that the floor is shining once he got outside the building. Now it is gone. Also particle effects are more. Dust and pieces of paper were flying everywhere. And in addition it looked much more smooth in terms of framerate

Indeed. It also ran at perfect 60 fps. What a shame.

I doubt it. It doesn't look any more detailed now. Also, lighting had a softer look that looked better on the characters. But oh well....

Indeed. It also ran at perfect 60 fps. What a shame.

Also there was this realtime presentation in japanese where he showed off the extreme detail on Snake and the self shadowing and the postprocessing.I think all those versions were running on devkits(which I believe have more RAM), I guess this trailer is the first one running on actual retail ps3.Looks pale in front of the other trailers:cry:..................bah..its OK, it's still SNAKE !:cool:

I must say, I much prefered the old over saturated greenish look over the new "sharp-textures" look.

I must say, I much prefered the old over saturated greenish look over the new "sharp-textures" look.

I was excited to see the removal of that horrible green wash - was one of my original peeves...I always hoped they'd change the colour scheme. I think most people hoped this as well.

I was excited to see the removal of that horrible green wash - was one of my original peeves...I always hoped they'd change the colour scheme. I think most people hoped this as well.

I guess so, but at least the old look was very stylish and had a very MGS feel to it. The new one just looks a bit too drab. I also think most footage still featuring that green wash was for the most part, usually low res or not very good quality in general. I think good HD footage of it would have looked quite good IMO.

Oh well. Game isn't out yet - many things could still change (for better or for worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back