PS3 display woes

I thought the whole 360 has a dedicated scaler chip was debunked (ANA and HANA are just video output chips). The 360 uses the GPU (Lanczos Interpolation algorithm?) to upscale images.
IIRC the discussion ended with confirmation that (H)ANA were not scalers as originally thought, but that the scaling hardware was included on the GPU - it wasn't just a software scaling implementation.
Plus, I thought it has been confirmed that the PS3 has a horizontal scaler chip.
Doesn't matter regards support for displays. Developers still need to target different rendering resolutions, unlike XB360 developers who can render whatever resolution (even 640p :p) and have it output for TVs and monitors to use.

For what it's worth, Wavey mentioned that Xenos was their first implementation/release of AVIVO. If nothing has changed, then that means the scaler does 10-tap horizontal by 6-tap vertical sampling for scaling. On the other hand, G70's PureVideo sports 4-tap horizontal by 5-tap vertical.

aand I totally just told someone he could buy a PS3 and have it work on his monitor via a HDMI -> DVI because I was under the erroneous assumption that you didn't need HDCP for PLAYING GODDAMN VIDEO GAMES.

now I

A. feel dumb
B. am totally baffled that it could be released like this
C. hate Sony for being DRM-loving jerks

aand I totally just told someone he could buy a PS3 and have it work on his monitor via a HDMI -> DVI because I was under the erroneous assumption that you didn't need HDCP for PLAYING GODDAMN VIDEO GAMES.

now I

A. feel dumb
B. am totally baffled that it could be released like this
C. hate Sony for being DRM-loving jerks

any idea what model his monitor is or how old it is? most newer monitors have hdcp support.

Hmm... Thats a bit on the unassuring side. I was actually going to get one of those cables for one of my monitors which supposedly has HDCP, but considering I just read about its supposed HDCP compliance on the internet, im a bit uneasy.

I bought an HDMI->DVI converter and unfortunately my monitor is not HDCP compliant.

Is there a cheap way to bypass the HDCP?

I will be illegal only if I use it illegally ;)

I just want it to play my games in HD. Which is not illegal

This problem isn't display related at all, but I freaking HATE that the PS3 will not output audio over HDMI *and* Optical. WHAT GIVES SONY!?

My guess would be being able to put the sound over the tv and the amplifier at the same time and then being able to choose either whenever which one of those suits you best at that time.

My 360 apparently works with the HDMI->DVI cable but doesnt output sound despite that my monitor has speakers. Can I output sound via optical or component when its connected to my monitor via HDMI->DVI?

My 360 apparently works with the HDMI->DVI cable but doesnt output sound despite that my monitor has speakers. Can I output sound via optical or component when its connected to my monitor via HDMI->DVI?

DVI doesn't carry or receive sound. I'm not sure whether they have made some hardware changes to the new X360 models, but previously you could either hook up the official MS audio dongle (is expensive) to the console and use optical, or modify (easy to do) the component dongle to make it fit with the HDMI cord and then use its' optical output.

why would you want to output over both at the same time?

Arwin pretty much hit the nail on the head. My receiver doesn't recieve audio via HDMI, so I have to use Component. It does, however, pass audio through to the HDTV, so I can still use that audio. However, since the PS3 diesn't support output through HDMI and Optical, I can't choose to use my receiver or HDTV, I only have one option.

DVI doesn't carry or receive sound. I'm not sure whether they have made some hardware changes to the new X360 models, but previously you could either hook up the official MS audio dongle (is expensive) to the console and use optical, or modify (easy to do) the component dongle to make it fit with the HDMI cord and then use its' optical output.

Can you provide a link about how I can modify the component dongle?

Is there also a way I can get sound from my PS3 assuming I connect the HDMI-DVI cable to a HDTV? Optical wont work because its connected to the HDMI? How about sound from the AV?

Can you provide a link about how I can modify the component dongle?

Is there also a way I can get sound from my PS3 assuming I connect the HDMI-DVI cable to a HDTV? Optical wont work because its connected to the HDMI? How about sound from the AV?

Just remove the cover like this.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1326/1473305444_e9a000bf7e_o.gif

http://www.chadledford.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/xbox-001.jpg

Your PS3 will be fine, it probably won't even try to output sound through HDMI with that cable of yours, but at the worst case, just go to your audio output settings and choose to use the digital out (optical). and plug the optical cord to your receiver and you'r good to go.

Sorry if this might sound a bit off topic, but I didnt want to create a whole thread for this.

I am planning to buy a good HD TV for my consoles and found a Polaroid at a good price (for my country's standards).

I tried to find details about the Polaroid's specs since the price for a 42' Full HD LCD made me suspicious. For example a Panasonic Plasma 42' with 1024x768p resolution is more expensive, and a Bravia LCD 40' Full HD costs 1/3 more than the Polaroid.

The specs of the TV say that it has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and at the same time it says "1080i HD-Ready: Full HD widescreen".

http://www.polaroid.com/global/deta...4488338773&bmUID=1228917238018&bmLocale=en_GB

Another similar model from Polaroid on the other hand say that it has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and that it is "1080i HD-Ready: HD-Ready".

http://www.polaroid.com/global/deta...4488338773&bmUID=1228917238018&bmLocale=en_GB

Is the first supposed to support 1080p natively for 1080p games like Wipeout HD?

Back