Xbox360 - HDMI video, RCA audio

Scott_Arm

Legend
So, I've got a 360 now. I have my PC, Wii and Xbox360 all hooked up to the same monitor. I have the PC hooked up to VGA because for some reason with the DVI connection my resolution choices are severely limited. The Wii is hooked up to the component input. That leaves the 360.

I have an HDMI cable, but I don't have an HDMI receiver to accept HDMI audio. I need a standard RCA analog audio out from the 360. The component cable for the 360 has an output for RCA audio, but you can't plug in the HDMI cable at the same time because the component cable is physically blocking the HDMI output.

I noticed online that the 360 HDMI cable from Microsoft comes with some kind of adapter to give you the RCA output for audio. Is it possible to get a hold of that little adapter separately? I really don't want to pay for a second HDMI cable. Any other solutions?

You can use a screwdriver to break off the plastic housing on the component cable A/V plug, which will then make it thin enough to plug in beside the HDMI cable. Then you can use the audio plug of your choice (RCA or optical) with HDMI video.

Image found in 2 minutes on Google:

1473305444_e9a000bf7e_o.gif

You can buy an adapter... but I did what Zassk suggested after about thirty seconds worth of hesitation. Using a butter knife, it took a few seconds, and I now have optical audio + HDMI video. Your solution (for getting HDMI video + RCA audio) is the same of course. It worked painlessly, and I'd highly recommend it (unless you enjoy buying expensive first party accessories!)

Try calling MS and lie to them that audio dongle does not work (ie you don't get any sound) and ask for replacement. They gave me a free HDMI cable for doing the same thing (well, there was a problem with HDMI after all. ;))

Try calling MS and lie to them that audio dongle does not work (ie you don't get any sound) and ask for replacement. They gave me a free HDMI cable for doing the same thing (well, there was a problem with HDMI after all. ;))

ha ha ha, that's amazing.

You can use a screwdriver to break off the plastic housing on the component cable A/V plug, which will then make it thin enough to plug in beside the HDMI cable. Then you can use the audio plug of your choice (RCA or optical) with HDMI video.

Image found in 2 minutes on Google:
I made this little tweak a while ago, and though it worked great, there was one "small" issue - if I change the input from my HDMI switchbox (my TV has only one HDMI input so I need a switch in order to connect all 3 HDMI devices) the Xbox360 booted. I guess the 360's internal logic went nuts when the HDMI signal got cut, and there was another output (the component cable) connected as well. I don't think the Xbox 360 output chip was designed to have both HDMI and Component cable plugged in simultaneously. :/ Nowadays I have the official 360 HDMI set, and it works fine. No reboots anymore. It's a shame that MS doesn't sell the HDMI cable and the Audio cable separately..

Cheers,

Nick

What did you tell them? I would like to try this myself.

I don't guarantee it to work, but I just said that with my 360 connected to HDMI, the TV turns off itself randomly - the problem actually was that I was using a DVI-HDMI adaptor which apparently gets signal loss during conversion, and when I got direct HDMI-DVI cable there was no problem.

Back