PS3 Firmware 2.20

Thanks. :D Still testing (updating my previous post). Let me know your impressions of the DVD playback software if you get a chance, particularly the new Mosquito reduction.

I just tried it out with the movie Cobra, which has lots of noise in it. I couldn't really notice any difference with or without any of the noise reduction options.

I did notice something else. I recently tried this program called Red Kawa File server, which I can run on the pc, and then thru the ps3's browser I can copy large video files straight to the ps3's drive. With firmware 2.2 this behavior has changed. I can still select the file from the ps3 browser, but now instead of getting the option to copy it it will try to stream it, which fails. How can one force the copy option again?

I just tried it out with the movie Cobra, which has lots of noise in it. I couldn't really notice any difference with or without any of the noise reduction options.

I did notice something else. I recently tried this program called Red Kawa File server, which I can run on the pc, and then thru the ps3's browser I can copy large video files straight to the ps3's drive. With firmware 2.2 this behavior has changed. I can still select the file from the ps3 browser, but now instead of getting the option to copy it it will try to stream it, which fails. How can one force the copy option again?

Move the pointer over the link, hit triangle, you'll see a 'Save Target' menu option.

divx compatibility is also improved. Tried a couple of movies that didn't work in the past and they play nicely now.

Official change log from UK Playstation site:
http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/guides/detail/item97773/Update-features-/

Main features in system software update version 2.20

BD-LIVE support

Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE) is now supported. Visit the BD-Live guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Video at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Copying playlists

You can now copy playlists that you create in Music and Photo to a PSP system. Visit the Copying playlists guide in Help & Support under PS3 > Getting started > Managing Files on PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Other new or revised features in version 2.20

Settings

The way you register Bluetooth devices has changed. Also, you can now manage your registered devices.
A [BD Internet Connection] setting has been added under [BD/DVD Settings].
An [Audio Output Device] setting has been added under [Remote Play Settings].

Photo

You can now display an image while editing a playlist.

Music

You can now play a music track while editing a playlist.

Video

You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are 2GB or larger.
You can now display subtitles in DivX-format video files.
You can now begin playing a DVD from the point where you previously stopped it (Resume Play).
A [Mosquito Noise Reduction] option has been added under [AV Settings] in the control panel for standard DVDs.
You can now play BD-R version 1.2 (LTH* BD-R) discs.
* LTH, or low to high, is a recording method that supports organic dye write-once BD-R media.

Network

You can now change some PS3 system settings during remote play.
[Save Target] has been added as an option under [File] in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser. This option lets you save a file that is linked from a Web page, such as an image or video file, or other type of file, to your PS3 system's hard drive or storage media.

The Internet browser now displays Web pages more quickly.
Using the Internet browser, you can now play a linked video file* as it is being downloaded.
* Some types of video files cannot be viewed in this manner and must be downloaded completely before playback.

After lots off trying I can still get my webbrowser to freeze if I scroll down before the page is downloaded. I haven't noticed any increase in downloading speed either.:cry:

I just tried scrolling to the bottom while the page is loading. Repeated the test on various sites. Doesn't crash on mine. May be clearing cache will help ?

I just tried scrolling to the bottom while the page is loading. Repeated the test on various sites. Doesn't crash on mine. May be clearing cache will help ?

I already try'd that but it didn't work. If I wait for the page to load, then the webbrowser won't freeze very often. But it is still irritating.

divx compatibility is also improved. Tried a couple of movies that didn't work in the past and they play nicely now.

I read subtitles are also supported and also multiple audio streams, where the PS3 actually allows you to choose which one you want to use ...

I already try'd that but it didn't work. If I wait for the page to load, then the webbrowser won't freeze very often. But it is still irritating.

That's odd. You might want to report the problem to the Playstation support site. If they are aware, one of those future stealth fixes might address the issues you encountered.

I read subtitles are also supported and also multiple audio streams, where the PS3 actually allows you to choose which one you want to use ...
Yes but you to need to embed the subtitles into the avi.

I've tried it a couple of minutes ago and it works fine. I've used this tool and it took only a minute for the movie I tried.

In my case (embedding) is usefull because I stream my content from a Linux server (ubuntu server + twonky) downstairs. And embedding the subtitles in the avi is the only way to stream content with subtitles. Which also works btw :) The DLNA spec doesn't support streaming srt files if i'm not mistaken.

Well, typing in the browser in 720p certainly hasn't changed yet. When loading a page, it still doesn't automatically scroll to the last post in the thread when it should, and I don't really notice that it's that much faster - 2.0 already brought a considerable speed increase for me. But the speed increase could be in other parts of the browser, such as Flash and such. I'll try some youtube pages that gave me some trouble (like the best movies of 2007 page) and some streaming video next.

Tried it tonight, and the PS3 audio output in PSP Remote Control is definitely extra neat. Now, I can use my PS3 as a music player with my projector turned off, streaming audio from my NAS.

Between that and the multi-DVD/BD resume feature, this is an excellent update as far as media playing is concerned.

So, after some more testing I have to say that the browser has certainly improved its speed a lot. It's not as noticeable in Beyond3d as it is in some other websites, like www.nu.nl, www.eurogamer.net and so on. Also, the new streaming feature is fantastic for me ... gametrailers is basically now viewable in real-time. With my connection speed its a matter of selecting the SD version and then downloading the WMV version of the movies, which immediately streams them full screen, which is just about perfect. The only nice thing would be if there was a slightly easier way to click on that download link, but I don't have any problems with it myself right now so I'm fine. Great! I also fiddled around with the Remote Play and indeed a lot of settings are now available, including sound output, which I agree is a great improvement. Unfortunately I still have my sound hooked up through my TV, so I still have to keep it on (until I find a way that doesn't require my wife to change anything on the receiver, it'll ...

... probably stay that way. Which brings me to the good old character limit for typing stuff in a text window, which is clearly still in place in 720p and sucks. Hopefully one of these days it goes away, because between the HD tv, the BluTooth keyboard, and the pretty decent browser, my laptop stays in its bag more and more these days and I don't mind at all. ;)

2.20 is bugged regards Blue Tooth. I've a Sony Ericsson HBH-600 that i had working on Saturday and chatted with a friend. Tried it tonight after patching to 2.20 and when it connected, the sixaxis froze out. Then the sixaxis returned to functionality but the headset cut out, and just can't be used for chatting. I tried deleting the Blue Tooth connection and repairing but that changed nothing.

Back