Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

From a totally tech-noob point of view, I find GRID more impressive, more "gamer-appealing" (not sure if it's english) than GT5. I mean, c'mon, I've played GT2, GT3, GT4:p and GT4. I feel like the last three were the same game with updated cars and graphics.
Am I the only one who, seeing GT5:p videos, thinks at first "Waow!!", then "... still the same GT game though... same sounds, same physics as far as i can see".
GRID seems both really impressive technicaly, with its own touch, and promising a lot of "new" fun.
I agree that the lighting thing might be a little too much sometimes... hope they won't use it even more on consoles.

My bottom line is: ok we can find some better and some worse pics ans vids for both games, both have their ebbs and flaws when compared to each other... but the general picture of GRID seems fresher! Maybe that's why I'm still more impressed by GRID, despite all your clever comments and all the actual facts you've highlighted.
I guess I won't be the only "non technical-educated" guy with that feeling.

Besides, seems to me that GT5 has been being developed for ages.
Didn't even knew how the PS3 looked like, already seen GT5 pics and teasers. Then came that GT HD thing instead of it, then again that Prologue... release of the full game planned for 2009... we're talking about a full mid-2008 game here.

I think that's a valid point, but GT5 is a driving sim and GRID is more an arcade racer (RidgeRacer, Sega Rally, ...). To the respective fanbase, they may be different creatures to begin with.

For racing casuals like me, I may get GT5P for the presentation and reputation -- for now. PD also said they wanted to attract casuals using a more lenient engine, plus GT TV; but I'm waiting to see what gets delivered in the end.

GRID looks extremely good in the promo trailer and screenshots. I'm waiting for the console videos to see how much they have improved beyond DiRT. I am interested in the leap because I hope it can tell me how much improvement I can expect from other games. I am also keen to see the physics and AI they highlighted.

From a totally tech-noob point of view, I find GRID more impressive, more "gamer-appealing" (not sure if it's english) than GT5. I mean, c'mon, I've played GT2, GT3, GT4:p and GT4. I feel like the last three were the same game with updated cars and graphics.
Am I the only one who, seeing GT5:p videos, thinks at first "Waow!!", then "... still the same GT game though... same sounds, same physics as far as i can see".
GRID seems both really impressive technicaly, with its own touch, and promising a lot of "new" fun.
I agree that the lighting thing might be a little too much sometimes... hope they won't use it even more on consoles.

My bottom line is: ok we can find some better and some worse pics ans vids for both games, both have their ebbs and flaws when compared to each other... but the general picture of GRID seems fresher! Maybe that's why I'm still more impressed by GRID, despite all your clever comments and all the actual facts you've highlighted.
I guess I won't be the only "non technical-educated" guy with that feeling.

Besides, seems to me that GT5 has been being developed for ages.
Didn't even knew how the PS3 looked like, already seen GT5 pics and teasers. Then came that GT HD thing instead of it, then again that Prologue... release of the full game planned for 2009... we're talking about a full mid-2008 game here.

Salut! Welcome to the forum. Good first post. Im personally torn between the two, on the one side... I love PC gaming and to use the massive graphics cards I buy... But on the other hand, I like the thought of driving real cars that I can dream about... NOT race cars.

I think that's a valid point, but GT5 is a driving sim and GRID is more an arcade racer (RidgeRacer, Sega Rally, ...). To the respective fanbase, they may be different creatures to begin with.

For racing casuals like me, I may get GT5P for the presentation and reputation -- for now. PD also said they wanted to attract casuals using a more lenient engine, plus GT TV; but I'm waiting to see what gets delivered in the end.

GRID looks extremely good in the promo trailer and screenshots. I'm waiting for the console videos to see how much they have improved beyond DiRT. I am interested in the leap because I hope it can tell me how much improvement I can expect from other games. I am also keen to see the physics and AI they highlighted.

Im not so sure thats correct! I think if you take Dirt as an example, it had excellent physics aparantly. I would call it a friendly simulation rather than an arcade racer. More Forza, less Ridge Racer. I hope they do well, it's better for the genre if people bought more than one type of racer en mass.

GT can't be changed though. It's not so much a racing game as the Car Fanatic's Entertainment. It's all about lots of cars with 'realistic' handling and visuals. As technology progresses, the franchise will be updated to improve on the realism and visuals, but the core experience will not and cannot change without no longer being GT. For the car enthusiasts out there, GT is the ideal product, especially with stuff like GTTV. For gamers who like a racing game, GT isn't going to be pushing the boundaries of four-wheel-fun in new directions!

Im not so sure thats correct! I think if you take Dirt as an example, it had excellent physics aparantly. I would call it a friendly simulation rather than an arcade racer. More Forza, less Ridge Racer. I hope they do well, it's better for the genre if people bought more than one type of racer en mass.

We'll see what's in the final package. deepbrown's first impression doesn't give me much hope about a driving sim. I can only remember their statements about AI and damage physics so far. Both can still be present without a realistic sim of individual model's performance nuances.

Also to Grolik's original point, I think PD will aim for that exact, realistic sound for each car. Assuming they have done their job well in the past, the sound should always stay "the same" with improvement in details and depth -- instead of magnified or different reality. Such is its appeal to those core GT audience.

GT can't be changed though. It's not so much a racing game as the Car Fanatic's Entertainment. It's all about lots of cars with 'realistic' handling and visuals. As technology progresses, the franchise will be updated to improve on the realism and visuals, but the core experience will not and cannot change without no longer being GT. For the car enthusiasts out there, GT is the ideal product, especially with stuff like GTTV. For gamers who like a racing game, GT isn't going to be pushing the boundaries of four-wheel-fun in new directions!

GT5p has better physics etc....it's just much better. New tracks, online, new ways to experience the cars - drifting etc.

GRID...I don't even know why it's in the same discussion TBH. Look like very different games.

And GT5p is the closest to bringing the normal gamer into the racing world. It's perfect for noob and pro, since all the settings are there.

That is wise. From what I've read and heard, the fanbase is really enjoying this fifth instalment in the series. As for me, I spent quite a lot of time on the previous ones and had great fun with them. But I'm still with my old PS2 and I'm going to make the move to this new generation of consoles. Thus I'm looking for things I couldn't have played before, and to be honest I'm really having a hard time choosing between the PS3 and the XBox 360. But I'm talking too much.
When I posted earlier, I just wanted to discuss the original subject with you and tell why I thought GRID videos and pictures more appealing than GT5:p's, beyond all the facts everyone pointed at.

Salut! Welcome to the forum. Good first post. Im personally torn between the two, on the one side... I love PC gaming and to use the massive graphics cards I buy... But on the other hand, I like the thought of driving real cars that I can dream about... NOT race cars.
Merci for the welcome :D
Sure the best is to get both games :LOL:
That's amazing what we can play today. I mean, we're playing what could only see on replays or cinematics. That's really great. It's so sad it costs so much nowadays... most people have to make choices between systems and even games, can't purchase them all.

We'll see what's in the final package. deepbrown's first impression doesn't give me much hope about a driving sim. I can only remember their statements about AI and damage physics so far. Both can still be present without a realistic sim of individual model's performance nuances.

Also to Grolik's original point, I think PD will aim for that exact, realistic sound for each car. Assuming they have done their job well in the past, the sound should always stay "the same" with improvement in details and depth -- instead of magnified or different reality. Such is its appeal to those core GT audience.
I agree this is gonna be one hell of GranTurismo. It's just that, when I'm watching videos, I feel like I would have take this curve or that corner exactly the same way on the previous games.
But you're right, that's only because the physics were so good before, they don't really have to revamp them, except maybe for collisions. Not to mention damages, but we're not discussing this here I guess.

I'm counting on a mod to filter the GT discussion back to its own thread again. So sorry...

It's just that, when I'm watching videos, I feel like I would have take this curve or that corner exactly the same way on the previous games.

It depends on the player. How high are you ranked on the GT leaderboard ? Do those gods take the same turns the same way ? Now that you're able to watch their replays from in-car view (At least GTHD could), would you do it differently ?

I don't have the patience to perfect my skills, but I find it educational/informative when viewing the leaders' replay from in-car view nonetheless.

But you're right, that's only because the physics were so good before, they don't really have to revamp them, except maybe for collisions. Not to mention damages, but we're not discussing this here I guess.

I agree that PD needs to offer new modes or ideas for old diehards to experience suprises. Perhaps the F1, online modes, and drift events are such attempts. The on-going tweaks in online racing rules and more events may be something too.

I don't know whether damage/partial damage will be in GT5:p anymore. I think it's a no (until GT5).

Have you even played Dirt?

Dirt does not have excellent physics, the fastest way around the track is braking and accelerating at the same time through corners.

Dirt is an arcade racing game with good graphics. I would never call it a simulation as the creators of the game never intented to simulate real life physics, nor do they have a physics model remotely accurate to real life in terms of car handling.

I agree this is gonna be one hell of GranTurismo. It's just that, when I'm watching videos, I feel like I would have take this curve or that corner exactly the same way on the previous games.

I understand, and partly that is true, because the fastest line is the fastest line, even if the simulation isn't totally realistic. Making a few things realistic already force you on the ideal line.

However, make no mistake - the professional mode in GT5 Prologue is by far the biggest step in terms of physics that a GT game has ever made. Particularly grip has changed considerably - this is also why drift mode only came in now. The GT4 model wasn't up to dealing with it. The other big thing that they did is by offering both professional mode and normal mode for the driving model, they can make a driving model that offers a range of simulation that satisfies more extremes - previously they got a lot of complaints from both sides (for GT4: not real enough vs too hard).

If you don't believe me, try to get some hands on for yourself with the professional mode. ;)

Of course, GT5 Prologue is also the first game where the AI visibly improved, the step up from 6 cars to 16 cars is quite spectacular, and the cockpit view is also pretty spectacular. Not to mention already fairly decent support for the G25 and the start of the online era. ;)

All in all, GT5 is huge for the series, and I'm very curious to see where this goes. I think GT5 Prologue, because it offers so much new features (rather than content), because it is so cheap (especially in Europe, where it is less than half a full price game) and because it's the first 3rd gen GT, it could sell extremely well, more in line with a full game rather than the Prologue and Concept games that we've seen previously.

Dirt is cool in everything but the driving model, imho, which is still reminiscent of the predecessors' tendency towards world-turns-around-car stuff. Dirt seems to me to have less detailed a driving model than CMR4 did, which didn't convince me at all. I want a Rally game to at least have convincing drifting physics, and GT4 had decidedly better rally driving. Richard Burns was decent too. Dirt's presentation and features (in-car view, damage, online, etc.) are cool though, and I hope Grid takes those and combines them with big online matches, at least a decent enough driving model. Race Driver's stuff always was all over the place - some car types were close to good enough for me - I liked DTM, Formula Ford, and some GT cars, others were horrible (basically almost everything else). But the game had some great tracks, and believe me I'm rooting for this game. Just also worried, because of CodeMaster's history. They are pleasing a lot of people, but I personally still long back to TOCA 2 days, which somehow seemed to have a more realistic driving model than all the games after, had weather effects, etc. and that game is just so many years ago you wouldn't believe it!

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the player. How high are you ranked on the GT leaderboard ? Do those gods take the same turns the same way ? Now that you're able to watch their replays from in-car view (At least GTHD could), would you do it differently ?

I don't have the patience to perfect my skills, but I find it educational/informative when viewing the leaders' replay from in-car view nonetheless.
I'm not sure I got your point here.
Do you mean that the improvements in the physics show mainly when the cars are fine-driven? Or are you mentionning the great replay-value of a GranTurismo in general, because the average player (which I am) has plenty of ways to improve his driving?

Anyway, trying to figure that out, I watched those gtplayer.net videos...
Which brings me to agree with the first "possible point of yours" and the following:

However, make no mistake - the professional mode in GT5 Prologue is by far the biggest step in terms of physics that a GT game has ever made. Particularly grip has changed considerably - this is also why drift mode only came in now. The GT4 model wasn't up to dealing with it. The other big thing that they did is by offering both professional mode and normal mode for the driving model, they can make a driving model that offers a range of simulation that satisfies more extremes - previously they got a lot of complaints from both sides (for GT4: not real enough vs too hard).

If you don't believe me, try to get some hands on for yourself with the professional mode. ;)

I can just contemplate the extend of my mistake after having seen that F40 video.
That was just awesome. Honestly I have serious doubts on my ability to reach that level of playing :LOL:
I guess I just watched the bad videos before, that was only previews or early "exclusive" gameplay stuff. For the firsts "little" cars I still feel like the gameplay hasn't changed but when it comes to serious cars... waw. Or is it just the player?

Sorry again, and thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

... still... GRID looks amazing....:LOL:

hmm, just saw the gameplay vid, even though it's kinda hard to judge from the low-res source, overbloom is definetly present. except for the cool damage, i cant really see anything mind blowing about it otherwise. but by all means need 720p vid.

Graphics-wise there's not much to say at this res.
But gameplay blows. I know I shouldn't be that straight, put an "imo" or whatever but what else to say? Even Motorstorm owns this.

With a darker screen I could have swear that's the new Wipeout.

Here is a gameplay video of GRID:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/previews/20907/Hands_On_Grid.html

I think it looks pretty good. Maybe not as good as the trailer but good. Looks like some overdone bloom ala DIRT though.

It doesn't look so hot anymore when you see this ingame footage.
That's the thing I hate about Codemasters (others devs do this too but codemasters does it too much), they ALWAYS show incredible looking screens/videos and at the end the final game is a big step down.

Yes, the in game footage is very run-of-the-mill. I think artistry in the camera direction as much as anything created a realism in the trailer that's not mirrored in the game experience. This is to be expected of course. You don't ever see an over-the-shoulder racing view of cars racing, and if you did it'd likely look as disinteresting as the computer game version.

Back