Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

Hmm I dont see how a replay ss with high brightness/contrast and mb covering all detail except the car will invalidate the ingame ss. And talking about the new car game the ss posted is ingame play but got some mb.

He posted undoctored ingame play screenshots. Give or take brightness/contrast setting for different HDTV setups. For example teh replay ss by Dantruon looksto have way to high brightness/contrast to give more life like lighting but looks overdone. PErhaps it is a photo offscreen becouse thoose tend to have more brightness/contrast (mostly to much) due how the camera captures the surrouding light (and if flash is used).

Still I think the cars in GT5 has a bit more detail ingame.
<-- Scratch that, after watching the video I got to give it to GRID.

Thats not GT5 Prologue.

Let's stay civil, please. I'll also remind people that analysing static screenshots can be a false art. What made the trailer so convincing was the motion. Phat's screenshot could look incredible in motion with the camera jiggling, where static IQ factors become less important. Image analysis is cool and all, but a few screenies don't accurately convey what you experience on screen in game with your attention focussed to key aspects rather than spending time looking for vertices. Even moreso with this generation of games, the games in motion should be the point of reference, and thanks to readily available trailers, movies and broadband connections, there's no need to use static screenshots to observe a game's graphical quality when playing except for certain analyses like AA checks.

Shifty pointed it out already, but it won't be too much to repeat it.

Having comparison war with cherry picked screenshots, sometimes comparing badly captured screens against doctored offficial "in-game" screenshots, will not get any thread anywhere.

Both camp will rest their case and dismiss, rightfully or not, the other camp's screenshots as an unfair depiction of one of the compared games.

And obviously nothing will be produced of this all, save for some static and some unnecessarily confrontational posts.

By the way, and that's not moderation related, it's always wiser to wait for Codemasters and (some not all) Ubisoft games to be in the hands of independent reviewers/previewers/owners before talking about the quality of the graphics technology and in-engine artwork. I singled out these two companie in particular based on history, since they're the worst offenders. They always go the extra mile when it comes to screenshot doctoring. They don't hesitate to paint over supersampled screenshots that are taken with the highest LOD settings on.

I don't mind the supersampling or even some form of color correction (and that would be streching it), but the conjunction of using assets or LOD levels that will not be in the game plus doing matte painting over the screenshots is really doing a disservice to everyone involved.

I doesn't matter what GRID looks like if they still employ the god awful centre pivot driving model.

Shifty pointed it out already, but it won't be too much to repeat it.

Having comparison war with cherry picked screenshots, sometimes comparing badly captured screens against doctored offficial "in-game" screenshots, will not get any thread anywhere.

Both camp will rest their case and dismiss, rightfully or not, the other camp's screenshots as an unfair depiction of one of the compared games.

And obviously nothing will be produced of this all, save for some static and some unnecessarily confrontational posts.

By the way, and that's not moderation related, it's always wiser to wait for Codemasters and (some not all) Ubisoft games to be in the hands of independent reviewers/previewers/owners before talking about the quality of the graphics technology and in-engine artwork. I singled out these two companie in particular based on history, since they're the worst offenders. They always go the extra mile when it comes to screenshot doctoring. They don't hesitate to paint over supersampled screenshots that are taken with the highest LOD settings on.

I don't mind the supersampling or even some form of color correction (and that would be streching it), but the conjunction of using assets or LOD levels that will not be in the game plus doing matte painting over the screenshots is really doing a disservice to everyone involved.

I've played it...also still trying to get my video on the net. However, it won't be high-res and will be shaky cam. So do you want it anyway? It'll prob be useless for B3d.

Oh come on. Evident to who? Evident to people who have a problem with this game being compared to GT5 perhaps?

When a game is hailed as "the best looking racer ever", then it's being compared to all racers, not just GT5.

As for my geometry and lighting assessment, note the obviously segmented hood line on the white BMW 3 in front, and the clipped reflections in the body paint and windshields. (I'm referring to the screenshot in my earlier post.)

Granted, the low-poly hood could be just a case of bad polygon distribution, but the clipped reflections I don't think can be as easily dismissed.

I guess you didn't bother to watch the video then? Most of these "PR bullshots" shots that you keep talking about were lifted straight out of the real time video running on a PC. Including incidentally the specific one you posted which in fact, looks incredible in motion.

I did in fact watch the video. It's a very tightly edited trailer that impresses on a visceral level. Trailers tend to be like that. But if you take a closer look, the core graphics engine doesn't seem to be pushing any envelopes.

Anyway, I've stated and explained my skepticism. I'm perfectly fine with waiting for the demo before commenting again on the game.

As an aside...

I'm sorry, since when is your opinion the standard around here?

I'm a little disappointed in some of the snarkiness around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get some of you guys in here, the thread title is "Codemaster Grid-The best looking racer ever?" with a question mark at the end, what do you suppose ppl who post in this thread to do?, you just cant expect all of us to agree or disagree with that question and thus it created conflict, if you don't want a comparison war then I suggest you to change the title of the thread.

This thread is more about GT than Grid.
Deserved or not GT5:p has a lot fans, and as much haters (at least in terms of vocality here).
I wonder if Grid would even have a mention if there weren't any GT5:p.

Really?

Neverthless looks about on pair with the gamersyde GT5:p ingame ss released some days ago +/- brightness/contrast setting for the HDTV. :smile:

Oops, this shots look like utter shit but they are from prologue, my mistake but a honest one at that.

When a game is hailed as "the best looking racer ever", then it's being compared to all racers, not just GT5.

As for my geometry and lighting assessment, note the obviously segmented hood line on the white BMW 3 in front, and the clipped reflections in the body paint and windshields. (I'm referring to the screenshot in my earlier post.)

Granted, the low-poly hood could be just a case of bad polygon distribution, but the clipped reflections I don't think can be as easily dismissed.

I'm not seeing either of those things. The shot isn't the best in the world but watching the video from which it was taken shows a very high level of geometry and top notch lighting.

I'm not ready to say it looks better than GT5 just yet but its clearly a stunning looking game in terms of both its detail and its realism. I'm not sure what rubbishing its graphics is going to gain anyone.

well, u can this coming. thread is useless without at least some comparisons right? with my limited resources i've made the following comps and by no means 100% accurate due to their respective nature of capturing method and rendering mode. but they do show you a raw representative of the game's lighting, modelling, and atmosphere. so on that regard, GT5:p clearly takes the cake in superior lighting and car modelling. a draw in environment details at least in still shots. and finally Grid has car damage superiority. it's amazing how competitive a mere prologue can be against its rivals.
http://i27.tinypic.com/j771tv.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/17effa.jpg

well, u can this coming. thread is useless without at least some comparisons right? with my limited resources i've made the following comps and by no means 100% accurate due to their respective nature of capturing method and rendering mode. but they do show you a raw representative of the game's lighting, modelling, and atmosphere. so on that regard, GT5:p clearly takes the cake in superior lighting and car modelling. a draw in environment details at least in still shots. and finally Grid has car damage superiority. it's amazing how competitive a mere prologue can be against its rivals.
http://i27.tinypic.com/j771tv.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/17effa.jpg

Are you going to tell us which is which?

1st link is GT5 (SCEE copyright on bottom pic), 2nd is GRID (Gamersyde logos). It does go to show how the differences aren't obvious though. Neither really stands out from the other. When in motion the difference in models and texture details will be even less important.

1st link is GT5 (SCEE copyright on bottom pic), 2nd is GRID (Gamersyde logos). It does go to show how the differences aren't obvious though. Neither really stands out from the other. When in motion the difference in models and texture details will be even less important.

I think the're alternating. First Grid, then GT5, then Grid again etc... in pairs.

Based on this comparison GT5 has an edge but obviously there's more to the story than just a few screenshots can show.

Here's a gameplay pic of Grid which I think looks amazing, so far I havent seen much gameplay stuff from GT5, mostly replays or static shots of the cars.

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_image.html?G=7102&N=3

GRID might have a disadvantage in the final analysis just because it's multi-platform. Cant be fine tuned to one platform like GT5.

I would bet large amounts of money, and maybe even my life, on that, that picture has had some touching up, maybe even large amounts of it. Not a jaggie in sight makes me suspicious.

It could have just been taken on a high end PC. 1920x1080 with 16xQ AA and then downsized could produce an image like that.

In fact they could probably use even higher levels of AA with NV's SLI AA.

Back