Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

:oops: I think I may have just soiled myself :oops:

Pretty big challenge they got themselves into. But if that really was ingame...

This GT trailer which claims to be all in games seems to think so!

Mighty impressive, with damage to boot!

I like the diversity in the tracks they showed, along with the bits of interactive elements (e.g. stacked tires).

PS3 on 14" bubble-vision CRT TV... There's some Laggard in me yet!

Damn Shifty! I'm not even sure if that's Laggardish or not. I don't know if LB would be proud, or sad. :LOL:

Checking this vid again, if it's what the vid shows, it trumps GT5P IMO. The crowd are more convincing in feezeframe, the camera and action and lighting is absolutely TV like-convincing (in this fast-cut montage anyway!), and they've got in-car cockpit views too.

Checking this vid again, if it's what the vid shows, it trumps GT5P IMO.
I agree for the most part but they seem to be up against Bizarre instead.

I wonder if this chromatic color palette saves bandwidth through color space compression in addition to hiding lighting flows.

Is this game using the PhyreEngine too?

Apparently they have their own internal engine (which I believe is originally based on PE since it looks like Dirt). Forgot the name though.

I agree for the most part but they seem to be up against Bizarre instead.

I wonder if this chromatic color palette saves bandwidth through color space compression in addition to hiding lighting flows.

Apparently they have their own internal engine (which I believe is originally based on PE since it looks like Dirt). Forgot the name though.

Why are they going up against Bizarre?

I'm gonna pre-empt this discussion before we enter a PGR4 versus GT5 argument! They're up against everyone, mostly their own hype on this vid. If they pull it off, they'll have surpassed all other race developers in graphical realism.

The lighting and such is a lot like Dirt. It looks good as a small presentation, but we'll have to wait and see if it holds up against closer inspection. From the looks of it, poly count is quite low on the cars. And we don't even know what platform we are seeing. ;) However, Race Driver already did a lot of things right - a lot of cars, some nice tracks, and if they can polish that gameplay up a bit more with these graphics, and good online play (with decent fixes that make going off-track a little less appealing), then I think they'll do really well. Hopefully wheel support is good also ...

Why are they going up against Bizarre?

Because they are doing 30 fps arcadey city racer?

I may be wrong of course given I don't follow racing much, but that was the impression I got from the recent EDGE round table with racing game developers.

They said themselves they were going more after PGR3, didn't they?

Is this a multi platform game or an exclusive?
Anyway I watched the SD trailer and it's damned impressived!

It moves so smoothly!!! It does look in game to me, not realistic, but the smoothness, lighting and physics makes it look unique!!!

I don't think they are going up against Bizarre... PGR4 came out last October. I was a big fan of Dirt, so I am really looking forward to this, plus seems like plenty of cars in the track at a time.

I have mixed feelings. The trailer, if representative, makes me really hopeful about greater visual and environmental leap in upcoming exclusive games.

OTOH, so many good racers ! (e.g., GT5P, GRID, Burnout Paradise, MotorStorm, Sega Rally, DiRT, F1 Championship, ...). I am envious. I am still waiting for more good action/adventure games.

Back