Help me, Help my mom get a new PC?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I kinda have an idea floating in my head. I just want to know whether its any good or not for a lowish cost all round pc that won't require so much technical assistance. She is a writer so im thinking of including raid 1 or maybe theres some better option to set up?

Slowest AMD dual core I think its 4000+
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD 780G MicroATX board
2X160gb seagate HDD (Instant no hassle backup???!?!)
2-4gb ram (Fewer calls about all the bloatware is fine by ME)
Vista 64 - She is security inept, accidently visits random sites on her quest for flower pictures and teddy pictures. If im not there... I can't make sure the security programs running etc? What do you think?
MicroATX/ATX case+Quiet 300W PSU
HD3450 graphics, probably not needed but I think it'll help to round it all out. Im also considering the possibility that they would migrate the machine to HTPC duties in 2-3 years.

So how does this look?

Are they enough? Too much? I considered Linux but she can sortof do most things in windows. Enough that I can walk her through over the phone.I Did consider Intel, but I never look at low end so I honestly don't know!

Raid 1 is nice, but if she's a writer she needs a real backup solution which protects her from herself and not just hardware failure (only Vista Home Basic doesn't have that build in though, so it's just a matter of configuration).

If you are going for quiet I'd go for Samsung Spinpoint T166 for the drives and an Antec Solo for the case with a Seasonic or Corsair PSU. Just use any one of the good tower coolers available, run with a low fan speed they are pretty much the quietest one's around. With a smaller case you will have a harder time finding a quiet cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, an AMD dual-core system based around 780G should make for a decent, cool and quiet workstation able to handle most media-rich content (via UVD) too.

I wouldn't bother adding an HD3450 to it unless she plans to do some light gaming, in which case a 512MB 3850 would offer much better value and performance. The integrated HD3200 (effectively HD 2400 performance) offers DX10.1 and UVD and should be perfect for general Vista desktop use. Opting for Vista Business 64-bit for the integrated backup utilities plus an external (250GB+) HDD for weekly/daily backups might be better than a RAID setup. For peace of mind one could also backup key files to a USB drive every day and/or backup to a DVD-R(W) every so often. I wouldn't think you'd need anything more specialized like NAS.

Vista business! That sounds like her, im tempted to think about ultimate though. (Probably overkill)

I can't do anything higher than a 3450 because the AMD prices in New Zealand are outrageous! We pay more for a 3870 than an 8800gt! Perhaps it's not even required to do a 3450... Thats probably my desire to see what it can do! Yep I can scrap that part. Good.

Hmm yea, USB key sounds good, and she does have NAS storage already. It's just that the software HATES vista, it works but reluctantly. External HDD does sound good too. She gets flustered when trying to write CD's so if it can be automated then thats what she should have. Wierdly though, I have to consider that with an external HDD my brother might borrow it to put his illicit games and movies on and take it to his friends' houses.

I've never seen Vista Business. Can I set it up so it pops up with a box that says, INSERT USB KEY?

whats your budget? Also tell her to use gmail as her backup system. :) I email all my important documents to myself. Easy backup system that I can access from anywhere.

Well, its all because I have a brother that downloads all kinds of $%%^ from the internet that still lives at home. The whole thing is centred around vista and the extra security I hope it has. She also does a lot of internet banking so the whole point is im afraid shes going to get her account owned. Firefox + Vista locked down as tight as I can make it was the whole point.

The upgrades are just so she can use Vista properly :)

Edit: Gmail, PERFECT! Thats all she needs to do. Offsite backups, with google making a backup of their own.

Basicly, low end budget to use Vista as an office/home basic machine. Low power use is also a priority.

Why not just use Google Docs? A couple of guys at work have stopped using MS Office pretty much altogether.

Yep, it's pretty much all set on the specs... I just have to find the time to go round there and order/build it.

Back