2008 anime recommendations thread

I wish someone would catch up with the Ga-Rei Zero subs, I'm missing my fix at the moment and we're a couple of episodes behind now. (EDIT: Talk of the devil, episode 7 is now out!)

Kannagi is a pretty good little slice-of-life show - Sure, it gets a bit fan service-y on occasion, but it's also pretty funny, although the further this season progresses the more it gets knocked into a cocked hat by Toradora.

Last edited by a moderator:
A-Kraze for the first series, Shinsen & Yurisan for the second. (I switched over to Yurisan because they're a few days quicker and just as good)

I grabbed Mishicorp & Powah releases for the Vampire Knight Guilty and they did a pretty darn good job. The quality of the visuals is very good as well. Its definitely an interesting series. Thanks for getting me interested in it digi :)

Shana is another high school show I'll admit and that it always starts off fluffy, but it gets VERY dark and intense near the end of the series.
Hmm, yeah ... I gotta disagree with you there. I found the first season decidedly meh. The mad professor was the high light ... the reset button at the end the low point.

For some nice relatively mindless fun Kuroshitsuji is good (about a boy and his demon buttler).

Also nice to hear English in an anime OP/ED which makes grammatical and logical sense (only because it isn't actually a Japanese song though).

For some nice relatively mindless fun Kuroshitsuji is good (about a boy and his demon buttler).

Also nice to hear English in an anime OP/ED which makes grammatical and logical sense (only because it isn't actually a Japanese song though).

Yeah its decent. Just watched 2 more episodes of Kurozuka :) What a weird but awesome anime!

I just watched 2 episodes of an anime called Freedom. And I must say...holy shit! Grab the 1080p version if you can. Thora has a full release. I have yet to pick up my jaw from the floor!

Freedom was good, grabbed the OVAs as they came out. Finished Shikabane Hime today and it was just exceptional! HIGHLY recommended.

Doing Kurozuka now and it's getting intense. The first few episodes made me almost delete it, but I'm on seven now and just hooked again. :)

Freedom was good, grabbed the OVAs as they came out. Finished Shikabane Hime today and it was just exceptional! HIGHLY recommended.

Doing Kurozuka now and it's getting intense. The first few episodes made me almost delete it, but I'm on seven now and just hooked again. :)

Kurozuka is pretty badass. I finished watching it last night. Never heard of Shikabane Hime but I will try it out...wait thats not Scrapped Princess is it? Because of the Hime = Princess that is why I ask because that was an awesome show as well!

No, it's actually "Corpse Princess"..."shikabane" means corpse. :)

I just finished Kurozuka too last night! Do me a favor, explain to me what the hell happened at the end... :???:

haha digi I am with you on that one. The ending was like...errr...but I guess the cycle of him continuing to look for her continues?! Sort of feels cheap doesnt it the ending? I thought it was going real well till the end...too many unanswered questions!! I hate it when animes do that! Heck or even movies for that matter!

Just finished Freedom. Was absolutely epic! Love the OP as well. Just awesome awesome awesome!

Kurozuka isn't that old, so I'll spoiler this :
After the episodes with the complete no sequiturs I kinda figured it would have no real ending ... very Twin Peaks (the hand clap before the vine lady tells her story took the cake, but the shit throwing sequence and the stew party were pretty out there as well). Since I loathe Twin Peaks I think Kurozuka would have been better off without the DEEP plot (removing the butterfly time-twists sequences and adding a twist ending with either his entire memory being faked or with her just resetting his memory over and over because he starts hating her or something would have been better). There were no unanswered questions in this series, because there was no coherent story from the outset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back