Rumor : PS3 Hacked ?..

What's iLoad supposed to do? Unlike PSP hacking isn't needed for homebrew do it seems to me there's little point to hacking a PS3 other than for piracy, which we're not going to be talking here other than from technical interest.

Nothing more like a desperate cry for attention. Why else would anyone do a stoopid timer.

No, this loader seems to be legit.
They have been announcing it for a while now.It seems they found an exploit in PS1/PS2 games emulation and used it to run unsigned code.
The launch was supposed to be at 23rd March, but they got mad since everyone was saying that the loader is fake, so they decided to release it today.
It just requires an external Hard disk with game images in .iso format.That's all...No hardware hack.
The exploit is fixed in 2.17 update btw.

Not exactly hacked anyway is it.

No changes are made what so ever.

Getting the hole fixed before the app that exploits it is even been released, good work Sony.

If it's for piracy then damn you for even posting it here. Piracy =/= bad.

What is bad is security through obscurity.
I for one am curious about the security hole in previous PS1 emulator.
Is it not a regular application like games?
If so what kind of access rights do games have?

And as a consumer, should I be worried about installing UT3 mods?

So, yes, I always welcome accurate information regarding PS3 hacking (even for piracy).

last week I was going to start a new thread about
backups and ps3 . somehow, I forgot until now
Would the ps3 sell more(greater succes) if it was pirated like xbox and the wii?

last week I was going to start a new thread about
backups and ps3 . somehow, I forgot until now
Would the ps3 sell more(greater succes) if it was pirated like xbox and the wii?

Considering Sony loses money on every ps3 sold and ps3 software sales have been spotty this is not good for the platform period. Multiplatform releases on average sell far less this alone will strain developer relationships further. It will only lead to more dodgy ports and less risk takers.

Well, if the latest firmware negates it, then it's pretty useless. Especially seeing as how they're apparently starting to require certain levels of firmware in order to run certain games. I read the other day that GT5:prologue requires 2.17 in order to run. Probably for this very reason.

What happens if you don't update firmware? Doesn't it lock you out of online play or something?

What happens if you don't update firmware? Doesn't it lock you out of online play or something?

There is a way to trick the system into thinking you've got updated firmware via a proxy. So it is possible to connect and play on PSN with old firmware. But if this loader turns out to be real, I expect newer games to require the patched firmware to play.

Especially seeing as how they're apparently starting to require certain levels of firmware in order to run certain games.

They've been doing that since day 1. Any game that required a certain level of firmware put that firmware on the disc and ran a check against the system when the game started. If that firmware, or newer, isn't there you're required to install it.

There is a way to trick the system into thinking you've got updated firmware via a proxy. So it is possible to connect and play on PSN with old firmware. But if this loader turns out to be real, I expect newer games to require the patched firmware to play.

If the game tests the Firmware itself how do you proxy yourself out of that?

If the game tests the Firmware itself how do you proxy yourself out of that?

how are they doing that with the psp ?

It seems like each time a new firmware is out a new hacked one is out. 3.90 is hacked already , i think it took them less than a week to hack that

THe only way to do anything is to stop it from connection to play online , but then people will just pirate the single player games and stuff like mgs4 will be hurt even more so.

Back