Xbox 360 50 Euro price cut March 14

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with buying the HDD separately on an as-needed basis. I see it as being an attractive option to new customers.

This becomes a non-issue if the price of Arcade+HD is the same as the price of the Premium. If the Premium gets upgraded to a 60GB drive, this pricing scheme actually makes a lot of sense.

how come the ps3 is much more expensif then the average official 399€ european price in Finland?you guys import it paralel from norway or someting?

how come the ps3 is much more expensif then the average official 399€ european price in Finland?you guys import it paralel from norway or someting?

Sony sells the machines to a middle man, who then distributes the consoles to the Scandinavian countries. The official price of the 40GB PS3 in Finland is 479€, like I said that 435€ is cheap in Finland.

400 Euro *8=3200 NOK

3200 NOK + 25% Tax = 4000 NOK.

4000 NOK\8 = 500 Euro

Most countries have a tax, but in Scandinavia Nordisk Film takes a cut too. Is Xbox 360 also 25% pricier than the official European price in Norway?

edit: found the answer myself. Xbox is not 25% more expensive, it's about the same price as in the rest of Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Xbox 360 enjoyed a 40 per cent spike in UK sales over the weekend following the Europe-wide price cut, according to Chart-Track.

"Now it's a question of Easter," he added. "The real litmus test will be over the next three to four weeks – it's too early to read too much into it at this stage."

Meanwhile, pleased by the weekend uplift, UK retail is confident that 360 will continue to gain momentum in the coming weeks. "Generally the market as a whole lifted between 35-40 per cent and we were in line with that," offered HMV spokesperson Gennaro Castaldo.

"That's obviously fairly significant, given we didn't have too much time to communicate it to our consumers. So with a lot more of the marketing kicking in now we expect it to grow even more in the coming days and weeks."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=34274

Yes, it will be interesting. I just heard a commercial on the radio of the 360 at 199 euro. Of course they don't mention anything about it other than that, but it could work. Will be interesting to see.

Yes, it will be interesting. I just heard a commercial on the radio of the 360 at 199 euro. Of course they don't mention anything about it other than that, but it could work. Will be interesting to see.

HDMI or component, wireless controler, Xbox Live silver, 5 free arcade games, a memory card to save games and the ability to play the most next gen games out of the box for 199? what elese is there to explain?

it's a great deal and as good as any system ever sold at 199 in game history.

Give it a few more days, but these figures must be a bit disappointing to MS. PS3's lower priced 40 GB saw a 178% sales spike when it appeared. This XB360 spike shows pent up XB360 interest eagerly awaiting a price drop, and if pent up interest is 50% above average, that's not a lot.

Clearly what MS needs is a strong marketing campaign now they've got a better price position. Price alone doesn't seem to be a big enough factor (with this very early analysis!)

Give it a few more days, but these figures must be a bit disappointing to MS. PS3's lower priced 40 GB saw a 178% sales spike when it appeared. This XB360 spike shows pent up XB360 interest eagerly awaiting a price drop, and if pent up interest is 50% above average, that's not a lot.

Clearly what MS needs is a strong marketing campaign now they've got a better price position. Price alone doesn't seem to be a big enough factor (with this very early analysis!)
I think they will focus their efforts when gta IV will launch.

More when Sony dropped the ps3:
1) no matter how poorly the ps3 was selling it was a playstation with a solid fan base
2) the system was really unaffordable
3) the system was not Two year and half old

So MS is not in this situation, MS would be super happy to just delay for anothers six month the moment when Sony will catch up in Europe ;)
The later the better especially as GT5 is delayed till 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are talking about a 36% increase in weekly sales where only Friday and Saturday included the price drop.

And the PS3 price drop was known for weeks in advance, so demand had dried up significantly. And there were preorders for it, which were essentially sales made before the nominal date, but counted after the nominal date. That 180% figure includes a lot of "creative accounting".

First of all, the PS3 dropped $200. MS price drop is what? 50 euro?
$200>$50. The relative % price cuts are also in the PS3's favor.

The PS3 went from a $600 price tag to a 40gb $400 entry model (the 20gb got discounted and produced in such small quantums that its irrelevant), thus a $200 price cut is a 33% "price cut" !!

The X360 recieved a 50 euro price cut, wich depending on the SKU the price cut in % is between 15% (Elite) and 20% for the Arcade.

Anybody with a basic understanding of economics should know that demand and supply (thus price cuts) dont scale linearly, so i dont see how this is price cut effect is so bad according to you, considering how low the price cut is.

Further they reported a 36% weekly boost (while the campaign and prices where only avaliable from friday, according to people here) Weekends (fri-sat)normally account for 50% of the sales so that would suggest a 72% boost in those two days.

This XB360 spike shows pent up XB360 interest eagerly awaiting a price drop, and if pent up interest is 50% above average, that's not a lot.

How on earth are you judging these numbers???

If this $50 price cut, results in 50% increased demand into pertuity (or while the console is competetive) this is huge. A 50% boost to demand in the Us would mean the X360 selling between 400-500k monthly in the states outside of the holiday months. That would be absolutely massive.

I'd like to know, on what grounds you say that this is not alot. What are you basing this on?

Your telling me, that a 50% boost in sales for a product(that generates more cash flow to MS than the price cut itself) is dissapointing to MS?

Where do you have your economics degree? Because these economical statements of yours again and again lack insight.

"XB360 spike shows pent up XB360 interest eagerly awaiting a price drop"
No, it shows basic shifts in supply and demand due moving along an elasticity band. The price cut doesn't mean people have been sitting and waiting for the X360 to drop in price. Not at all, that is a completely wrong conclusion.

It simply means that by lowering the price by 50 euro, X more people found the X360 attractive due to the lowered price. Nothing more.

This is a rather useless comment isn't it? You cannot possibly come to any conclusion thats worth noting, cuz its been two days.

Not only that, but by all economical standards, if they recieve a 36% boost in sales from a 50 euro price cut on a product where the added money from game licencing more than overshadows the cost of the price cut.

MS goal is to make money. This obviously makes them money. They aren't dissapointed at all.

In the first few days the sales increase should be among its highest. After a little time has elapsed the price will be seen as 'normal'.

There just isnt a great deal of demand for the 360 outside the UK, and winter/spring generally isnt a time when a lot of consoles are sold anyway.

I wonder if GTA will sell that many consoles?

Just noting a flash point.

PS3 NPD January, February, and then Xbox 360 March.

What I can not anticipate is April.
Gran Turismo 5 vs Possible Xbox 360 price drop.

Back