Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

What I don't understand is why they had to castrate the PC version so much because of the consoles. They could've launched a decent PC game along with sub-par console versions.

Likely because the in game assets at the previously high quality level weren't complete. And rather than dedicated time and money to finishing those AND making new assets for PS3 AND thus risking a delay and a potential lawsuit from SEGA, they decided that it was best to make ship date on PS3/X360/PC as they contract demanded than to risk split asset development and delay shipping any version that might trigger a contract dispute and potential lawsuit.

Nothing Gearbox did seems particularly noteworthy. Titles are farmed out all the time. Even studio specific core IPs get farmed out (iD software did it with the Quake IP for instance, Epic did it with the Unreal IP, there's even current AAA IP that's getting farmed out while developers owning the IP work on next gen stuff).

So Aliens getting farmed out, isn't terribly surprising even if it is disappointing. So if SEGA didn't know about it and approve it, then that shows a serious lack of Publisher oversight on their end. Hence, SEGA likely approved the subcontracting, although it's also likely that they expected a bit more oversight of Timegate by Gearbox as well.

The one thing that can be laid entirely at Gearbox's feet, however, is the non-coordination between the original story-writer and the new one at Timegate, assuming that's true.

Either way the whole thing is a mess from the sounds of it. But nothing that's been divulged thus far seems to be particularly noteworthy when it comes to modern day game development.

Now, just don't let PS3 fans know about it being the limiting factor. They'd be heartbroken. :D

Regards,
SB

If the PS3 was the one holding it back, why did the X360 get the worst version? ;)

Anyway, I don't have high hopes for any kind of "patch". The problems this game has can't be fixed like that.. they'd have to effectively remake the whole game.

If the PS3 was the one holding it back, why did the X360 get the worst version? ;)

Because hardware limitations aside they like Sony more? ;)

Anyway, I don't have high hopes for any kind of "patch". The problems this game has can't be fixed like that.. they'd have to effectively remake the whole game.

The more I read about the issues the more curious I get about the game, kind of like Daikatana. It shouldn't take long for the price to hit 5 euros now, should it? :|

Diakatana is now on gog you know (beware the frogs)
Just in case you missed the awesomeness first time round

ACM isn't even remotely close to being in the same category as broken garbage games like that. There's no doubt that it's average, but it isn't bug-ridden, the AI is fine, runs fast and smooth, has great surround audio, etc.

Back