Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

AVP2 has stupidly fast aliens too. I played that again fairly recently. The aliens are so fast that I usually can not get a bead on them and end up quickloading every 5 minutes. Not that fun really even if it is probably authentic. Some old games are designed around endless quickload/quicksave which I would say is not amazingly immersive game design.

I've never played more than the demo of QvP2 I think, it wasn't as good as I expected.

I never saved/reloaded at higher difficulties in AvP1, because it was not allowed. One or two bonus levels were frustrating to unlock because of that, it just boils down to how much you like it to endure that, and how much time you have. :)

edit:
I guess lack of time was one part for me disliking AvP2, but it was also the lack of major advancement, so if someone never played the first one, I guess they could like the second game a lot too.

edit2:
The co-op is a very good idea, but it is watered down. I could imagine a great co-op game where you had to play co-op, no single player, and where the story and setting is made to work with those four characters. The AI characters are not immersive at all, to the contrary. Imagine the game was so hard you had a reason to close that gate quickly. Maybe one player couldn't make it through and all would have to find a way to reunite again, because when you're seperated, the games becomes almost unbeatable.
But that's hard to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like AVP2's focus on story. Some of the locations are cool too. But it's not exactly a very refined experience. I never played the multiplayer but it is well spoken of.

To be honest, I've never thought highly of the different Alien FPS games we got. The game I disliked the least, I use a double negative here because I never really liked any of these games, would be AVP2.

And having recently played a little bit of AVP (2010) from Rebellion, I definitely say that it would take an incredible amount of praise, as well as a demo, for me to even consider this Aliens: Colonial Marines. But I'll admit that the setting of the game, Aliens, forces me to keep an eye on the project.

By the way, if you see the latest AVP on sale, on Steam or something, keep looking to other games. Don't even consider it. It's not bad, it's worse.

I feel the same Farid. I've at least sampled most of the Alien, Predator and AVP games (back to SNES) and none are all that great. AVP2 tried pretty hard but it's so quirky, partly due to Lithtech Talon or whatever it is.

I paid $50 for that latest AVP game from Rebellion. That was a terrible mistake indeed. I also bought the $5 AVP rework and I'm still not sure why so many people say the game is super great. I didn't play much of it even back in 99. I remember thinking it looked terribly obsolete and that the control was strange. I am a total sci-fi nut too so I tend to be lenient but still (I even like Predator 2 and Alien Resurrection ;))

Have you two tried the Capcom arcade version of Alien Vs. Predator? It's a beat 'em up type, and I find it's rather nice.

I have played a SNES AVP but not that much. Sounds like something to dig out MAME for.

Yeah, the arcade avp was awesome. :D

Seriously, it was win squared. One of my favorite beat 'em ups, though I don't touch it too often.

FWIW, I liked AvP2. It was a decent game.

Though, the "erotic" shower scene in the expansion was just eyerollingly bad.

I'd have played the new one, but it doesn't like my monitor too much(long story).

The new AVP game is a great deal at say $10. ;) It really should have come out as one of those Hard Reset-like value priced games at $30. $50 was just nuts considering how short and simple it is, and that it hit $25 about a month after release.

FWIW, I liked AvP2. It was a decent game.

Though, the "erotic" shower scene in the expansion was just eyerollingly bad.

Hm... never played the expansion. I barely remember AvP2 actually. :s

I'd have played the new one, but it doesn't like my monitor too much(long story).
I don't think you're missing much tbh. It felt like a chore to play through for some reason. Blandest $15 I ever spent. :p I'd wait for the steam sale for $5 (I missed it by a couple days last holiday season, the bastards.)

Note that I said Alien FPS. I know about the cool arcade game and the quite decent Alien 3 on Snes/Megadrive.

And seriously, don't even think about shelling out a cent, let alone 5 bucks, for the new AVP. I played it for free, guys. For free, and I still resent Rebellion and Sega for the waste of time. Only the marines campaign is fleshed out and it's pretty terrible. Gun feedback is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the enemy feedback. You don't hear of see the Alien, until they hit you and barely do any damage, then they move quickly around you and after shooting aimlessly for a while, you'll see their corpses on the ground. The game finds a way to get worse when you actually see the Aliens coming at you, in that case, the modicum of challenge that came with the broken close quarter combat goes out the window.

The Alien campaign is like 1 and half hour long and presents no interest at all. All you do is rush from point A to point B while being able to walk on walls. No subtlety or defining moments playing as one of the most brutal hunter in Sci-Fi history. You don't stalk enemies, you don't surprise them jumping out of the shadows. No, you just rush from A to B > loading screen > end of the campaign.

I barely played the Predator campaign, but I can say that it allowed me to experience one of the worse tutorials in existence in this corner of the the galaxy.

It's seriously a waste of time, so don't think of it as a potential waste of money. It's not even worth it if you're a fan of the universe, you never feel tense of pressured. The environments don't look good or even reminiscent of the Alien or Predator movies. It's incredibly solid in how all-around mediocre it is.

Well I maybe don't think it's the most terrible game ever. I think it's more fun than say EYE which I actually beat and just sat and blinked at the screen for awhile afterwards. ;) The game is very weak and the Alien "campaign" does suck for many reasons but I found some mild comfort for my horrific $50 purchase in the Predator and marine "campaigns". I hesitate to call them campaigns because yes they are short. There's no denying that the whole experience is mindlessly simple, super linear, uninspired. But the models are pretty good. Yay.

Yeah, it's not the worst game ever. It's just so mediocre and boring that it's an actual waste of time. There are much better games to play, or re-play, out there.

It's interesting that it sounds like it'll be a canon sequel to Alien3. I'm glad that the team is into the series, but hopefully the fan service isn't too crazy. I also hope the single player isn't an afterthought.

WiiU tablet as a functional motion tracker. ;)

It's interesting that it sounds like it'll be a canon sequel to Alien3. I'm glad that the team is into the series, but hopefully the fan service isn't too crazy. I also hope the single player isn't an afterthought.

WiiU tablet as a functional motion tracker. ;)

What's "fan service" in an Aliens game? :???:

I'm thinking of how they always use quotes from the movies, particularly Aliens. Plus if you listen to the interview you'll hear him talk about setting up scenes from the movies too. He was bursting with giddiness about recreating stuff from the movies and I find that both worrying and reassuring at the same time. :)

Because all they showed this time was some boring looking deathmatch, I'm also thinking this game may end up slanted towards multiplayer. Hopefully it doesn't turn out like Syndicate.

Back