Aliens: Colonial Marines screens

Hadley's Hope has never been fully realized in a computer game. If this game can actually capture that atmosphere, I'll be completely hooked. The problem with a lot of the Alien's games, is they recycle a lot of content that was in the movies, in fact this new Colonial Marines game has a few features that have been done to death, i.e the fight with the queen in the loader.

Honestly, if I were in charge of the creation of an Alien game, I'd choose the Nostromo from the first movie as the setting, and have the protagonist utilize little to no weapon usage, kind of focus on evasion and stealth, like the way Amnesia: The Dark Descent focuses it's game play. Remember, the crew of the Nostromo weren't soldiers, they were a freight ship. It would heighten the horror aspect, which the movie was notorious for and also emphasize the power of just one Xenomorph, instead of being a walking platoon of soldiers with an array of weapons at your disposal, fighting off hordes of aliens. That type of game play kind of dulls the player to what the movies strove to emphasize.

I think they are primarily after the coop shooter crowd so lots of endless action is the plan I'm sure. That's even what most AVP2/3 fans talk about when they reminisce about those. I expect this to be a sort of L4D/etc clone. I'm not sure if a single player mode is being taken seriously.

Yeah, it doesn't make for very compelling game design to force players to constantly flee for their lives.

Yeah, it doesn't make for very compelling game design to force players to constantly flee for their lives.

Ya the macho badass angle will surely make more sales. Hence said theme's ubiquity. But I have to admit that being terrified, ala Penumbra or System Shock 2, may not be my favorite emotional state during gaming. ;) I think I've been a bit desensitized after enough of those games but I actually have avoided the recent Amnesia game because well I'm a bit burned out on terror lol.

Alien was sci-fi horror. Aliens was a sci-fi action flick. Most people seem to want Aliens because they want to do coop slaughter and coop horror doesn't work. The singleplayer AvP experiences were a combo of the two genres though I'd say. That worked well. It's too bad AvP3 was an empty shell really.

Ubiquality, what the hell? Since when does blowing stuff away denote ubiquality? You're dismissing the core of PC gaming with such a statement.

Anyway, Aliens the movie has plenty of scary suspense moments and tense scenes, far more than your typical action flick. I sure as hell know it scared the crap outta me when I saw it at age 14 or 15 or whatever, I had to walk home through the dark from the cinema and I was jittery literally all the way... :LOL:

Ubiquality, what the hell? Since when does blowing stuff away denote ubiquality? You're dismissing the core of PC gaming with such a statement.
What I said is that most shooters are about being badass, slaughtering thousands of enemies and blowing things up. That's what ubiquity indicates. Although it actually means "everything" whereas I meant "nearly everything". There are way fewer first person games that are about tiptoeing around a horror setting as Dresden described.

Aliens had some suspenseful action and tension but terror isn't what comes to mind for me. It had lots of macho marines getting their asses kicked while delivering solid humor though. ;)

It's possible to have a good action game with tense, scary moments. FEAR. One of my all time favorites.

So I take it the planet actually survived the nuclear explosion from the movie? .. and still as working electricity? :-S

So I take it the planet actually survived the nuclear explosion from the movie? .. and still as working electricity? :-S
I assume you meant "plant" rather than planet? Cuz it'd take a significant amount of antimatter to be able to actually blow an entire planet up. :D

If the facility actually is somewhat intact and supplying electricity still, I can only assume that to be a convenient retcon so that there actually is a game setting, somewhere for us to play the game. While a level set outside in nothing but a chaotic mess of rocks and rubble could be interesting in its own way, I doubt it would last an entire game.

Anyway, an equally interesting question like the one you ask is, what have those alien things been eating since Aliens the movie...? I assume they have a metabolism (not sure anyone would buy they're classified as Undead), so they'd need food, and there's no wildlife on the entire planet. :p

I'm a bit out of the loop here but perhaps it's a marine comission before the Sulaco?

Anyway, being from Gearbox I'm already dreading the PC version.

The atmosphere looks good at least. Maybe they are actually paying attention to single player. What's shown in the video appears to be a very confined script fest though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm always entertained with how unnatural gamepad movement is. ;)

Back