PS3 System Update 2.10 resolves BC for MGS: Essentials Collection

FutureCTO

Banned
Greetings,
I was a little concerned about the software Backward Compatibility of the PS3.
Specifically in regards to the Metal Gear Series, and more precisely the MGS Essential Collection.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/05/metal-gear-solids-essential-collection-confirmed-for-ps2/ :smile:

Every now and again, I check the compatibility lists at... http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus :idea:

For the longest time little bugs existed for different discs in the MGS series.
It now it looks like Sony and Konami have made sure that the MGS: Essentials Collection is full BC on the 80GB model.
Which makes sense considering that they put the MGS name on the boxed MGS4 Bundle.
And coincidentally Version 2.10 finished at the same time they announced the MGS4 Bundle.
So let's consider this an omen of confidence in regards to MGS series compatibility. :cool:

Great news for the new players of the series,
if you enjoy/look forward to Metal Solid: 4 Guns of the Patriots you can easily and affordably catch on on the back story for $30.
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-So..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1204478990&sr=8-1

Hmmmmm..... :cry:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...tal+gear+solid+essentials&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
I wonder if the reason Europe hasn't gotten the bundle has to do with PAL firmware updates supporting the older games?
If you are in a PAL region please feel free to research support for MGS, and let us know if you use different system updates?

Thank you and Play Safe.
(Remember card board boxes are fine, no plastic bags! :!:

I looked at the compatibility list and found it interesting that the original versions of MGS2 and MGS3 didn't have any problems.. it's the expanded versions that glitch. Both of which have been fixed in already-released firmware updates, so I don't see what the big deal is.

I doubt I'll have time to actually run through the first three games before the fourth comes out, though.

It's great that you are making use of this information.
However you are mistaken not everything had been fixed by 1.92. (~Perhaps Following Metal Gear 20th Anniversary?)
Metal Gear Solid 3 still had a few major glitches. (Other minor issues are still listed.)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-20915
Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 2.00: Upon Boot-up, the title may hang. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.10.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-20915
Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 2.00: At a specific point preceding gameplay, the title may hang. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.10.

Description: During various FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMA does not play as "smooth" as normal.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-21243
Description: During various FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMA does not play as "smooth" as normal.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-21243
Description: At various points throughout gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Limited Edition) Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-21243 / 21359 / 21360
Description: At various points throughout gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Limited Edition)Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment Product No: SLUS-21243 / 21359 / 21360

If we understand the press about the Essential Collection, then the version to be released is either Special Edition or Subsistance. 2.10 resolved all issues for Snake Eater. So a few issues still exist. However based on a Press Conferance the MGS4 Bundle will come with firmware updated to support all previous versions of Metal Gear Solid.

For those that do not live in Japan or still want to see Metal Gear Solid Saga - HERE FOR FREE!

Additionally Hideo Kojima deserves some credit for trying to help E3 remain an entertaining event, instead of turning into an endless press conferance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm.. that's weird. I went to that link you posted in the first thread, did a search for "Metal Gear Solid", and the only two games that had any listed issues were Substance and Subsistence.

I completed ZOE2 (MGS engine) a few weeks ago on my European PS3 (the one without the EE, but GS is in there) and am surprised to note that the complete game played flawless.

I was even more surprised to note that ZOE2 impresses me more (visually) than quite a few PS3 games outthere. Absolutely spectacular, even for PS3 standards.

good to know, i recently bought back a PS3 60Gb , i need to dive into more ps2 games . I never played ZOE2 .

Phil that is great news!
I am sure Stefan S and many other European gamers are happy to hear this.

BTW, good to see you.
Seems like the last time was 2004.

FutureCTO (previously David_South)

Hm.. that's weird. I went to that link you posted in the first thread, did a search for "Metal Gear Solid", and the only two games that had any listed issues were Substance and Subsistence.

Maybe you did not see the radio button for selecting the 80GB model?
The 60GB & 20GB models had EE+GS hardware support.

Either way the point now makes more sense. Which is always good news.
Peace (Y)

Maybe you did not see the radio button for selecting the 80GB model?
The 60GB & 20GB models had EE+GS hardware support.Either way the point now makes more sense. Which is always good news.
Peace (Y)

Not in Europe though

phil, care to sell your copy of ZOE2? :)

;) I wish. No, actually, you wish!! :p

Have you tried looking out for it on eBay? Z.O.E.2 is a must-own IMO - one of the greatest achievements on PS2 and still holds up very well. Hope you can find a copy...

*listens to ZOE2 OST...

;) I wish. No, actually, you wish!! :p

Have you tried looking out for it on eBay? Z.O.E.2 is a must-own IMO - one of the greatest achievements on PS2 and still holds up very well. Hope you can find a copy...

*listens to ZOE2 OST...

Lovely game indeed ;)

i played through MGS2 with no problems on an english 60gig. MGS3 would freeze after a certain amount of play so i'd have to be carefull with saves. it did settle down after a while tho. for a long time it would freeze just after i defeated the boss pretty much every time. messing with the upscaling and smoothing options seemed to get me past that. both were the original versions of the game rather than substance or subsistance.

on a related backwards compatability note i've had trouble with yakuza freezing at a certain point in the game everytime aswell. oh well can only hope for improvements with firmware upgrades.

sure i will . I even bought MGS2 again, i never finished the game . good thing i sold my 40G and bought a secondhand 60gb ps3

Back