3DMurk03 new cheats ?

[conspiracy theory mode]It must be the disgruntled former 3dfx employees planting these bombs in Nvidia drivers and then tipping off web sites to find them.[/conspiracy theory mode]

More seriously, I agree with Nelg that this is exactly why we need dedicated benchmark programs like 3dMark. While game developers have some interest to build benchmarking functionality into their games (it brings them visibility when their games are used in video card reviews), it is not their primary interest to police the benchmarks and investigate things like these. Their goal is to get the game to store shelves and sell it a lot, not spend time arguing with hardware manufacturers and patch their games just because of strange driver behavior.

I like the fact that Tech Report openly told they got the info from Ati.

I can assure you the folder is not empty.

I have made this post on 3 forums, so there is probably quite a squabble over the file at the moment.

Either that or you do not have a yahoo account. You need to be a member for the briefcase to work properly.

radar1200gs said:

I have made this post on 3 forums, so there is probably quite a squabble over the file at the moment.

Either that or you do not have a yahoo account. You need to be a member for the briefcase to work properly.
The page sais "Welcome, madshi2", so it accepted my account. And it still sais the folder is empty. Pressing F5 doesn't help, either. I can make a screenshot if you don't believe me... :D

radar1200gs said:

The dir is empty for me too....

It would be nice if you could just host the pics/apps somewhere else maybe?

You must have some privelege problems. I only see one item in your fairytale directory, also (even though on the outside, it says 7 items are inside)

it should be working.

Can anyone host the file for me then?

If so, post an email address or url so I can send the file to you.

radar1200gs said:
it should be working.

Can anyone host the file for me then?

If so, post an email address or url so I can send the file to you.
You can send them to "dear (at) madshi.net", I'll upload them.

The file (container.zip) is on its way. I assume no spaces in that address.

According to OE it is 698Kb in size.

thank you

That is because the images are identical.

This may mean:

1)nvidia didn't cheat.

or

2) my test doesn't fool the drivers

or

3) if the drivers have optimizations and are fooled, they don't affect my GF3.

This is why I would like people who own GF-FX cards to do the same test on their system and see what results they get.

The point is not wether the images look identical or not. Or even if they affect the GF3. Or has everyone suddenly decided that it has to affect the IQ to be considered a cheat??

There are obviously Steps that can be done with Specific Aplication detection that happen behind the scenes for a Set benchmark like this. That you can get away with to inflate scores.

It is obvious that this does infate the score and it is not something implimented in the base driver. It is also obviously hidden from the Users and the Reviewers.

You know, It is totally True that the IQ is really not that greatlly affected. I Personally dont see a problem If their AF looks like that in any game anywhere.

the issue here is they are doing specific application detection because they have found a way to Fiddle With the Texture Stages or other things. Which obviously cant be used accrossed the board. But only in this or other Rail type Benchmarks. Thats my take on it.

It artificially inflates the score and is clearly Trickery or Hackery. I am not going to call this cheating per se. However it does decieve Buyers and OEMs into thinking the card is regularly capable of something its not. I have a Strong feeling they are likely pulling the same Kind of things in some of the other major benchmark apps/Games as well.

What it really is, is like Bait and Switch technique, Or 3 card monty. Its the consumers who are losing becuase they think they are getting the highest performing card with AA+AF in said applications. when in reality they are not.

You know, It is totally True that the IQ is really not that greatlly affected. I Personally dont see a problem If their AF looks like that in any game anywhere.

I agree... if it is possible to use this "inflated" form of ansiotropic filtering elsewhere, Nvidia is doing itself a disservice by not using it everywhere. It hardly degrades the image quality.

If you use a black texture in a benchmark and the driver decides to not draw it at all (you know what I mean), is that considered an optimization?

bdmosky said:

I agree... if it is possible to use this "inflated" form of ansiotropic filtering elsewhere, Nvidia is doing itself a disservice by not using it everywhere. It hardly degrades the image quality.
Shouldn't high-end video cards give you the highest visual quality? And you're basing your opinion off a single screenshot.

Yes they should and what is really sad is even the LOWLY 9500 (non Pro) has better IQ than nVidia's top of the line $500 card in game play...

Has anyone figured out what is changing in the images yet? It seems linked with the edges - (i think the carpet is bumped mapped? - and there are differences there too) .

To me it seems like there is something different in the lighting rather than texture quality?

Any ideas?

Back