New 80GB PS3 SKU coming June (MGS4/DS3 bundle)

Ok so I have to ask what is happening here.

None of my local targets or best buys or walmarts have the 80GB PS3 and have not had any for a couple weeks.
My original PS3 died and I need to get another, so should I be waiting for something other than the 80GB model or are they just revamping all the 80GB bundles now and everyone is out of stock until the new bundles are released.

Thanks!

I don't think the new bundles are scheduled till June so you might be in for a long wait. If you can't find one locally you might want to go to ebay, it doesn't seem there's a shortage there.

Ok so I have to ask what is happening here.

None of my local targets or best buys or walmarts have the 80GB PS3 and have not had any for a couple weeks.
My original PS3 died and I need to get another, so should I be waiting for something other than the 80GB model or are they just revamping all the 80GB bundles now and everyone is out of stock until the new bundles are released.

Thanks!

Im assuming youre past the factory warranty?

If you own the 60GB or 20GB launch PS3's, you might want to fork up $$$ for Sony to repair it instead seeing as those units are valuable these days.

Say does anyone know if Sony just gives you a refurb unit as opposed to sending your original console back?

Im assuming youre past the factory warranty?

If you own the 60GB or 20GB launch PS3's, you might want to fork up $$$ for Sony to repair it instead seeing as those units are valuable these days.

Say does anyone know if Sony just gives you a refurb unit as opposed to sending your original console back?

Well I had an extended warranty on mine. I had to send it to a warranty electronics shop.
They deemed it unrepairable and issue me my 600$ back.
So I guess I need to either be patient or start looking online to get a new one.

In America, a little Patience could be quite rewarding.
I had been anticipating a $75 drop on the PS3 and $80 for the Xbox 360 by year end.
It was my guess that PS3 production starting at the end of April would lead to major savings.

GameStop predicts $50 drop this year for the Xbox 360 and PS3.
So even if that happens at least you get a free controller or game for your patience.

The flash point is that if either company wants to tap the PS2 demographic they need to reach $300.
And some words said to that effect in the last few weeks has me wondering is a $100 PS3 drop possible?
Though that is an improbably large drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
In America, a little Patience could be quite rewarding.
I had been anticipating a $75 drop on the PS3 and $80 for the Xbox 360 by year end.
It was my guess that PS3 production starting at the end of April would lead to major savings.

GameStop predicts $50 drop this year for the Xbox 360 and PS3.
So even if that happens at least you get a free controller or game for your patience.

The flash point is that if either company wants to tap the PS2 demographic they need to reach $300.
And some words said to that effect in the last few weeks has me wondering is a $100 PS3 drop possible?
Though that is an improbably large drop.

Currently I'm expecting a $80 360 drop in time for GTA or so (in the USA, bringing Europe price here). 199/269/369 lineup.

I then dont expect MS to cut again in fall as usual. There will only be the large cut in spring. My reasoning is a $269 premium, probably with a 60GB HD, is easily attractive enough to take through the holidays. If you look at what AMD prices a 3850 with near 700 million transistors at $145, I think this is very doable.

I dont expect Sony to cut at all in 2008, provided their sales stay reasonable.

I dont expect Sony to cut at all in 2008, provided their sales stay reasonable.

Mmmmm if the other posts on this board are true, that 65nm RSX went into production in december 2007 and 45nm Cell goes into production in april 2008.

And with FCC papers submitted in the end of january that says the units have gotten new components other than wlan and bluetooth, it seems reasonable that atleast the 45nm Cell and RSX is on the steps.

I do believe that gives them the possibility of having 2 price cuts, if they do or not is another issue.
But 1 price drop in 2008 is something that I think they will have to do.

Sorry to bring up this thread but the date is approaching and I am toying with the idea of selling my 360 and getting a PS3 (my PC is very nice and I never use the 360 besides it's louder than my blender). I would like to ideally get the 65nm cell, Dual Shock 3, and BC and I was wondering if this 80gb version will have the leaner 65nm cell from the 40gb PS3 or the BC of the 80gb or both. BC is not terribly important since I only really want to play the God of War games but I can borrow a friends PS2 for that. I definitely would like to do some Folding with it so the more efficient Cell is very important. I had read the 80gb PS3s still had the old 200W cell so I don't know if this bundle version will be a good choice or not. If not I guess I could wait a little longer and get one when the 45nm version come out. Thanks.

I wanted to bump this to see if anyone has info on the internals of the new 80GB.

I assume it will be like the 40GB w/ EE-less BC. Lower power and quieter. It will also be interesting if it maintains the SACD ability of the old 80GB.

I know these are being bought early, hopefully we will get a verification of the features and power consumption.

I'll spare the life story thats 5-7 paragraphs long so here it is:

I wanted to get Uncharted but my bank account said otherwise :LOL:

I'd love to know whether the RSX used is a 65nm version. :smile:

At least some are 90nm, according to posters in other fora. I have no clue if all of them are. Might want to ask on the Playstation Blog, they are as official as you can get.

At least some are 90nm, according to posters in other fora. I have no clue if all of them are. Might want to ask on the Playstation Blog, they are as official as you can get.

They're official, but do they know anything? ;)

Anyway I'd wonder just the opposite - I'd wonder if in fact it might be legacy 80GB/90nm components that are being used.

Wow good post timing on my part. Well, it makes complete sense in my book: they were set aside for bundling with future games, in this case MGS4.

Wow good post timing on my part. Well, it makes complete sense in my book: they were set aside for bundling with future games, in this case MGS4.

So they cannibalized sales since Feb to make a new bundle in June? Surely they could just make new units.

So they cannibalized sales since Feb to make a new bundle in June? Surely they could just make new units.

I'm not sure I would call it cannibalizing; the Motorstorm bundle was played out IMO. This lets these legacy units ride both the wave of MGS4 and a feature-set resurrection.

Back