Got another vista problem... Can anyone help?

I.S.T.

Veteran
I put an HD from my old XP machine in my PC to copy all the old data off of it, and I'm being prevented from copying the contents of one folder(A catch-all that has a large amount of stuff on it). Other folders from the same old user account copy fine, and other folders on other user accounts copy just fine as well. I've tried setting the permissions to allow me to copy, but it keeps saying access denied despite what I've got the settings on.

I've gone into the Security>Advanced>Edit menu, and given every single user group full control, and that hasn't fixed the problem. UAC is turned off(I even tried turning that back on... didn't work.). I've tried messing around with the object permissions, that didn't do anything. I even tried logging into my sister's user account and copying the files using it, but that didn't work either.

I'm really at my wit's end here... I've spent damn near two hours working on this, and that's hurt me a shitload(I have fibromyalgia. Doing anything for two hours straight hurts. >.<), and done nothing but frustrate me. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

but hdd back into xp machine create a folder on hdd make it shared full access to anyone
create some winrar archives in it and add the files you want to copy over
put hdd back in new pc extract winrar files
try that
alternatively
can you make a partition (fat32) on the old hdd
move the files into that then put it into the new pc

but hdd back into xp machine create a folder on hdd make it shared full access to anyone
create some winrar archives in it and add the files you want to copy over
put hdd back in new pc extract winrar files
try that
alternatively
can you make a partition (fat32) on the old hdd
move the files into that then put it into the new pc

The old XP machine is dead. However, I believe I've come up with a solution. I'm thinking of creating a partition on my new HD(Just 20 gigs.) and installing XP on it. Boot the PC up with it, and from XP copy the files from the old HD to the new one, and undo then either undo the partition or keep it around.

I'd rather not do this if possible, however. I've never made a second partition on an HD(This is my first self-built PC.). If I have to, though, I will. That HD has some stuff on it that needs to be transfered.

Have you tried taking control of the files by assigning it to your own local Vista account and let it inherit down? Usually that works when giving access to everyone doesn't.

Have you tried taking control of the files by assigning it to your own local Vista account and let it inherit down? Usually that works when giving access to everyone doesn't.

Yes, I have. I tried inheriting, deinheriting, and some other things I can't remember right now.

Haven't tried the boot CD thing yet due to the XP CD currently being in use.

Have you tried actually taking ownership of the files/directories in question? I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "inheriting". I've only had to do it in Vista a few times but you should be able to take ownership from the same area as you can change permissions.

I had a similar problem deleting some rescue points from my HDD when I installed Vista and put my storage drive in there.

Even when you set the permissions of the folders it still won't let you do anything, taking ownership and having complete control did nothing.

I found a solution though, go to My Network Places and access your folders from there, you can pretty much do anything that way as long as you have set the required permissions for your user account beforehand.

I recovered over 50 gig of space that I had lost in 2004. (I haven't really used the computer since then as it was just running my FTP server)

Some MS blogger did a little bit on this and wrote a bat file to do it with. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Worked for me tho when I had a similar problem.

Have you tried actually taking ownership of the files/directories in question? I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "inheriting". I've only had to do it in Vista a few times but you should be able to take ownership from the same area as you can change permissions.

Yup. Didn't work a damn bit.

*Curses Microsoft*

The Bart PE disc worked. Thank you, Davros, and thank you everyone who offered suggestions.

Back