The Slowest Speed I Can Burn DVD's At Is 4x....But I Want Slower! How?

bigsilly

Newcomer
Hi, thanks for reading!

Whenever I try to burn a DVD, it seems that even if I select 1x or 2x or 2.4x speed from my programs (Nero, DVD Decrypter, etc.) 4x speed will still be the actual burning speed (according to the display in-program that reports the speed of burning.)

But I tend to get a lot of read errors, despite leaving my computer completely alone when it's burning, and watching it to make sure that the buffer never even slacks just a little. I've no viruses, no spyware, and no background processes running that could possibly impact the burning performance. I've used a few different types of media, too. So - I just want to burn it slower, to see if that helps.

So how can I force it to burn slower if the speeds that I'm selecting are overridden?

My burner is a Sony DVD-RW DRU830A.

Thanks for your help!

What media are you using ?
I only use Mitsubishi's MCC003, MCC004 and I've never had any failures / errors in over 500 burns at 8x speed.

Verbatim works great with that burner, Taiyo Yuden might be a little better if you want to shop online. Beware of bogus media though, use Newegg or other reputable merchants.

IIRC high speed (16x and higher) burners don't necessarily burn better at very low speeds. If you're using really crap media then who knows but with high quality media I find it best to let the software choose. Just use ImgBurn and set the speed to "Automatic".

Fwiw, Best Buy usually has Verbatim media on sale for about a week every month or two. Try a batch, if you like it, stock up. Not on sale this week though.

P.S. high speed burners "like" quality high speed disks. Get the Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden 16x disks. For dual layer burning Verbatim is king.

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817294007

Hi, thanks for reading!

Whenever I try to burn a DVD, it seems that even if I select 1x or 2x or 2.4x speed from my programs (Nero, DVD Decrypter, etc.) 4x speed will still be the actual burning speed (according to the display in-program that reports the speed of burning.)

But I tend to get a lot of read errors, despite leaving my computer completely alone when it's burning, and watching it to make sure that the buffer never even slacks just a little. I've no viruses, no spyware, and no background processes running that could possibly impact the burning performance. I've used a few different types of media, too. So - I just want to burn it slower, to see if that helps.

So how can I force it to burn slower if the speeds that I'm selecting are overridden?

Thanks for your help!
With the newest firmware?:?:

do you use nero's verify option ? did it verify ok ?
also have you got burn proof enabled ?
also what methos are you using to burn
dao dao96 track at once ?

ps: your drives are using udma mode
they havnt slipped back to pio mode by any chance ?

pps: run one of the dvd's through this program tell us what it says
http://www.kvipu.com/CDCheck/

does it just happen with dvd's or cdr's as well

Hi, thanks for reading!

Thanks for your help!

You can't. A lot of manufacturers removed the slower speed burn strategies from the firmware of their writers. This is because of the large number of media and burn speeds they have to support, and the assumption that no one would want a 1 x burn speed. The slower burn strategies were dumped out of the limited space of the firmware in favour of the newer, faster ones.

In fact (as has been pointed out), a lot of high speed media doesn't burn well at low speeds. The inks have been designed to react very quickly for high speed burns, and so burning them at low speeds tends to ruin the burn as the inks can't deal with sitting under the laser for the extended time of a relatively very low speed burn.

If you're having problems, try a different type/make of media. You may also find that DVD+R burns better than DVD-R or vica versa. Personally I find the best media inks are (in descending order): Taiyo Yuden T03, MCC 04, Rioch JPNR03, TDK 003, and I prefer DVD+R over DVD-R. I've found Ritek, CMC MAG and Opto to be particularly awful and well worth steering clear of.

You may also find if your writer supports any kind of "on the fly" strategy creation, it will deal better with variable media than the standard firmware strategies. Also check if you have a dodgy/loose drive cable, or other drivers on that device that may be conflicting. Multiple writer software can all try to chain their drivers together, and packet writing applications/drivers can be particularly problematic and should be uninstalled if you're not using them.

Your error problems are bad disks or bad DVD +/- R burrner. You can try other DVD blanks and see if your getting the same problem and if so then just get another burrner. There realy cheap now for around $30 to $40.

The one brand of disk I been using is called GQ (Great Quality) form Frys. I haven't had one bad burn with them and I have used over 500 of them. There cheap on sale at frys to like $6 for a 50 pack or $11 for a 100 pack both -R and +R.

IMO, 4x is the sweet spot if you are concerned about good burns. I've had really great luck with 4x and Verbatim dual layer disks. Be happy. :)

Modern drives & media are optimized for 8x-20x. Scans show that 8x-16x yield the best C1/C2/jitter results. Burning @ <8x on higher rated media produces poorer results due to drive HW/FW being optimized for higher speed. Some of the modded FW achieves better burns by optimizing RPM for the lowest vibration/harmonics as well as burn strategies (inc. self learning).

Media is very important. TY, MCC, etc. Although the latest Liteon perform miracles with cheap media according to posts @ cdfreaks. DL only use Verbatim or TY.

Yeah I use 8x with DVD+R/-R but with the Verbatim DL's I go 4X. They usually are only certified for 4x-6x or so anyway.

Have you checked if your burner is in DMA mode? If it is in PIO then there could be problems.

Your Computer Icon -> Right Click -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI or the like -> Click on each until you find the controller managing the burner.

Back