Gears of War 2

Definitely buying Gears 2 (still haven't decided which version) but my mood for playing will probably be determined by the upcoming major event on 04NOV...

We are screwed either way, hence I will be ready to destroy some Locust scum come Friday :devilish:

Yep. I remember feeling that way when Halo 2 came out. It was November 11, 2004 and it was a good time to abuse some aliens. Goddamn I hated those aliens.

I'm in for Horde'ing! The best part is you can blame 4 other people for your lack of carrying. This will be fun :)

So far, in the B3D Dream Team of Suckage, we got:
Joshua
Scott
Me
AntShaw
NavNuc

Who else is in?

Ohhhh ohhhh Pick me and my....welll....not sure what I have to offer other than working as a meat sheild for you guys :) At least that way I can take the first bullets for you!

Ohhhh ohhhh Pick me and my....welll....not sure what I have to offer other than working as a meat sheild for you guys :) At least that way I can take the first bullets for you!

Donkey, you're coming with me :devilish: /Shrek

The game just looks amazing. I think that left 4 dead will get more play than this , but my friends and I are going to go nuts over this too.

http://www.dko5.com/gow2_dualheadshot.gif

I really love how they keep track of your progress wth achivements as shown in the gif above. It automaticly tells you when you've done something to get closer to hte achivement. So like above each time you head shot someone the bar comes out telling you.

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN

Even cooler still is that each of the seven modes, as well as the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Horde mode, can be played on any of the fifteen maps. Why the extra-long adjective to describe the only mode to truly depart from the usual Gears formula? If you've played the five-player cooperative experience then you'd know. Playing Horde mode is sort like the old school Smash TV, all wrapped together with some of the best visuals in our industry.

We played on Blood Drive for a solid hour and a half without ever coming close to Wave 50. In fact, the only time someone beat Horde mode was when they turned the difficulty all the way down to Casual. It's just that difficult. It's also important to keep in mind that we only played on one map and had a blast doing it. Each of the ten new creations can be used in different ways. Pavilion, for instance, is an above and below ground environment with no place to call home in Horde mode. It's basically run and gun or be killed before you know it. Different players are going to have to adapt their skills if they want to reach the top of any of the fifteen leaderboards.

TeamXbox

I will give you some details about features and whatnot, but mostly I’ll tell you a little story about playing what is probably the most exciting aspect of multiplayer. I’m talking about Horde mode, technically a co-operative mode but nonetheless rad, and I had a frankly awesome experience playing it with a crew of IGN bros during our “special time” when MS and Epic brought the game to San Fran for us to play the game for review. This experience gave us a great example of the best the mode had to offer; the five of us (me and four IGN editors to be named later in this article) had a truly epic experience playing the Horde mode – a multiplayer game that might be all you need as a Gears fan, to hell with all that adversarial stuff. There’s plenty of good stuff, but you can’t deny the greatness behind the Horde.

Gears of War 2 has a lot to offer a gamer that wants to go online and play with others. Whether you want to play campaign co-op with your friends or engage in some traditional adversarial gameplay, Gears 2 has you covered and beyond. For a game that offers such an amazing single player experience, to turn around and make multiplayer so awesome… man, what are you trying to do, make me fall in love with you? Nobody told the guys at Epic they had to try so hard to make gamers happy. We would have been satisfied (a little) with the good old-fashioned Gears gameplay plus some minor upgrades.

GameDaily

There's a lot to love about GOW 2's multiplayer campaign, but Horde stands far apart from the frantic five-on-five competitive battles. In this thrilling mode, up to five players work together to outlast 50 waves of increasingly difficult Locusts. Things begin simply enough, as you and your buddies easily tear through the early levels. Complete the 10th level, however, and things become maddening. In levels 11-20, the Locusts gain double health. For 21-30, they receive double health and double accuracy. If you manage to survive that long, the enemies in levels 31-40 have that, as well as double damage. Blast your way to the final 10 stages, if you dare, and the bastards have 2.5 times everything. In order words, you'll barely scrape past the 15th level before the game throws Locusts of all types your way, from the suicidal Tickers to the chain gun carrying Grinder, who lovingly growls "GRIND" whenever it fires up its weapon.

Kotaku

Shit hits the fan at about wave 10. More and more of the Horde come from all directions on the map, overwhelming whatever system you’ve managed to set up. We made it all the way to wave 15 by sticking together, but after that, someone decided going every man (or woman) for themselves was a good idea and we all died like dogs.

The game let us repeat the wave where we’d left off, but our spawn position on the map was reset so we started from new random positions instead of the place where we left off at the end of the last wave – and I think our score was reset to zero (I clicked through the menu too fast in my zeal to get back to the fight). I have no idea how anyone is going survive all 50 waves of Horde mode – even after I switched out with a more hardcore shooter journo, the group never made it to wave 20 in the hour we had to play.

Many thanks for the info. Horde sounds truly exciting and interesting. I don't know how is it going to replace my favourite game ever (Rock Band) for online gameplay but it doesn't have to.

I don't know if it's just that I'm getting old but my skill in games such as Gears dropped quite a lot although that is exceeded only by my love for games

The Marketing for Gears is always so fantastic. I hope they can air some form of the "Rendesvous With Death" segment, it was fantastic.

XB360 really can't keep a lid on piracy. Can these games be run directly as a burnt ISO, or does the console need modding?

XB360 really can't keep a lid on piracy. Can these games be run directly as a burnt ISO, or does the console need modding?

Last I heard you needed to change your DVD firmware and that's it. But I think new machines make this more difficult. But they're using commodity drives, so I think people are still figuring it out.

There's talk that playing online gets you banned from XBL... but others say that that is an old wives' tale, meant to dissuade would-be pirates.

Halo 3/GTA4 and most other 360 games have also hit the web as such. It's sad but it doesn't kill sales or anything. People do get banned off Live and the newer consoles are more difficult. Maybe one day MS will find a way to ban them and then hilarity will ensue!

I noticed about 80% of the Craig's list 360 sales in my area are for back up games. There must be a market, not that I would ever do it.

Last I heard you needed to change your DVD firmware and that's it. But I think new machines make this more difficult. But they're using commodity drives, so I think people are still figuring it out.

There's talk that playing online gets you banned from XBL... but others say that that is an old wives' tale, meant to dissuade would-be pirates.

I know people who have the actual modded consoles banned from XBL but not their Live accounts as far as I know.

I know people who have the actual modded consoles banned from XBL but not their Live accounts as far as I know.

Are you sure? I mean, you know these people? I have no idea myself, I just know that common wisdom is that using an unlocked console gets you banned. But at the same time I've heard that MS has no way to check, and people play on pirated versions all the time. I've never seen independent verification one way or the other, just talk from 'guys on forums'.

Back