New XNA FAQs

Looks like I either saw it wrong or they had a typo, but they're offering games at 400($5) MS Points instead of 600($7.50). Makes much better sense now. Still don't like it though.

Tommy McClain

One more look at the revenue payments. Looks like they're going to be taking out an additional 10-30% of the generated revenue for promotional fees. These fees are part of the agreement that all developers will have to sign that will allow Microsoft to advertise and promote their games on the dashboard and on Xbox.com. After it's all said and done with you could be only making 40% of the revenues. Not sure how that compares with Live Arcade or other services.

Tommy McClain

One more look at the revenue payments. Looks like they're going to be taking out an additional 10-30% of the generated revenue for promotional fees. These fees are part of the agreement that all developers will have to sign that will allow Microsoft to advertise and promote their games on the dashboard and on Xbox.com. After it's all said and done with you could be only making 40% of the revenues. Not sure how that compares with Live Arcade or other services.

Tommy McClain

What's strangest about that, at least from what I read on the multiplayer blog is that Microsoft is the one who'll decide how they'll promote your game.
“If we help you sell an absolute ton of these, it’s going to be up towards 30% [more of your total revenue],” said Satchell. “If it’s not doing so well, down towards 10%. We think the value you get from being front-and-center in our experience is a great return for that marketing fee. And what that means for you is a ton of exposure.”

Sounds like they are looking at potentially free offerings but not now. Not sure I would either if I were them at this point. They are providing the hosting service, storage, security, bandwidth, etc. Until they can build up the ad market around community games, it would be a big money sink if most people published a bunch of free mostly junk games.

Sounds like they are looking at potentially free offerings but not now. Not sure I would either if I were them at this point. They are providing the hosting service, storage, security, bandwidth, etc. Until they can build up the ad market around community games, it would be a big money sink if most people published a bunch of free mostly junk games.

Yeah, but now they can have a bunch of not-free mostly junk games that no one will buy. Plus, most game portals already work with free games and already offer most of what you described.

Do you need to pay to access the store as well, either via Gold accounts or that XNA account thing?

Interesting. I still have an idea for a game, and I've already automatically renewed my creator's club fee - I must say I despise that, I never realised that this was going to automatically renew. Oh well. I might give making a game a go still though ... I'll try to reserve some time to figure out how easy it is for me to create a working prototype from some earlier programming work. If it's easy enough, then I may go ahead and see if I can manage something.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to make the service a success, but I can understand that they go about it like this, being Microsoft. I think this is one way that they are going to pay for the fact that they'll probably spend a lot of extra time initially reviewing the peer-reviewing process, if you get my drift.

Yeah, but now they can have a bunch of not-free mostly junk games that no one will buy. Plus, most game portals already work with free games and already offer most of what you described.

Disagree. So you think creators will be more inclined to sacrifice their reputation, potential income, and overall quality of offerings because people will have to pay to own their games and that they would work harder on them if everyone was able to simply get them for nothing? IMO, the majority of creators will feel some responsibility for delivering a better product since people will have to pay. Free game portals are ad supported so re-read my post, and really aren't the same thing anyway.

Do you need to pay to access the store as well, either via Gold accounts or that XNA account thing?

No

Agreed. Maybe they're doing this to weed out all the fluff? Who knows
Alternatively, how much money will MS make from millions of free downloads...?

Pricing structure is painfully weird - why is size the deciding factor? Fill your simple game with huge, uncompressed assets and get paid more for it. A tiny procedurally created infinite world will be worth less. Seems MS thinks people value quantity over quality.

Other than that, it's a great opportunity for homebrew.A group can get together and try their luck with a Live! title without needing a complex publisher relationship, yet with a more receptive market than an indie PC title.

Heard the news from a friend of mine last night!

Can't wait to get my game done now!!

I'm a little concerned about MS 60-40% royalty split on high performing titles that they *choose* to promote however..

Does the developer have a say in whether they get MS's promotion or not?

What exactly constitutes "promotion" in their eyes & to what degree are they going to commit to this in order to qualify them for the extra 30% cut?

Seems like this could could be either a blessing or a curse at this stage without further information..

I'll wait & see how things pan out I guess..

As for the "no free games" issue, I guess you could always pack a load of content into the free trial. Seems like a reasonable enough loophole to me anyways..

Pricing structure is painfully weird - why is size the deciding factor? Fill your simple game with huge, uncompressed assets and get paid more for it. A tiny procedurally created infinite world will be worth less. Seems MS thinks people value quantity over quality.

It doesn't work quite like that. If your game is <= 50MB, you can charge 200, 400, or 800 MS points. If it's > 50MB and <= 150MB, you can only charge 400 and 800 for it. So padded your game out would only serve to give you less pricing options

Other than that, it's a great opportunity for homebrew.A group can get together and try their luck with a Live! title without needing a complex publisher relationship, yet with a more receptive market than an indie PC title.

I can surely agree with that. Consoles have traditionally been so inaccessible to indy dev's, but now the door is wide open. I'm really impressed that Microsoft put their money where their mouth is on this one.

I still wish there was an option to have games for free though...I'd been basing my current project on the assumption that we would be giving our game away for free, but not now that free isn't an option I've had to reconsider things. Simply giving away all the revenues to a charity seems like a good option for my case, although I'll have to see if Softimage will let us keep using ModTool for free.

It doesn't work quite like that. If your game is <= 50MB, you can charge 200, 400, or 800 MS points. If it's > 50MB and <= 150MB, you can only charge 400 and 800 for it. So padded your game out would only serve to give you less pricing options
Okay, that makes padding counterproductive.

I still wish there was an option to have games for free though...I'd been basing my current project on the assumption that we would be giving our game away for free, but not now that free isn't an option I've had to reconsider things. Simply giving away all the revenues to a charity seems like a good option for my case, although I'll have to see if Softimage will let us keep using ModTool for free.
Hmm, yes, that has changed the landscape somewhat. Tools free for non-commercial use will not be usable, and the actual cost of development is likely pushed up somewhat. In a way, it's forcing a more professional take I think. You will have some outlay, and you will be asking for people's money. You will thus, presumably, want to provide a more commercial product to recover costs.

In you're in the compfortable position of not needing the money at the moment, another option is to invest it in future products where you can be more adventurous. May be able to grow a good little business from here, then be your own boss!

In you're in the compfortable position of not needing the money at the moment, another option is to invest it in future products where you can be more adventurous. May be able to grow a good little business from here, then be your own boss!

Well it's not just that I don't need the money, it's also that I don't want to violate any of the terms of my contract with my current employer. :smile:

Alternatively, how much money will MS make from millions of free downloads...?

I understand that allowing free games will require some kind of different revenue model like advertising, donation, whatever. If they're getting millions of downloads, then I'm sure some kind of advertising could be just as lucrative.

Tommy McClain

As for the "no free games" issue, I guess you could always pack a load of content into the free trial. Seems like a reasonable enough loophole to me anyways..

They haven't announced how the trial will work. There's a lot of confusion there, but evidently they have told people at GameFest that it's time-based. Considering the extra work necessary for Live Arcade developers having to do a trial, I'm assuming they won't require Community Games developers to do the same. Most likely they'll just make the executable have an expiration date for 24hrs, 48hrs, a week, or whatever. When the alloted time elapses then you'll have to purchase it to continue playing. This way the developers don't have to do special work for the trial.

Tommy McClain

I understand that allowing free games will require some kind of different revenue model like advertising, donation, whatever. If they're getting millions of downloads, then I'm sure some kind of advertising could be just as lucrative.

Tommy McClain

I also don't think that the interface will be free of ads for things that aren't XNA games.

I also don't think that the interface will be free of ads for things that aren't XNA games.

Neither do I, but in regards to free XNA games they could have ads before, during or after a game is played. "Pay for" XNA games wouldn't be subjected to this.

As for the rest of the new interface, I'm sure they decided that showing a clean ad-free interface was totally necessary for the launch. Now they have time to go to their adverstisers and work out new deals for the new interface. I'm sure they will have them on Day 1.

Tommy McClain

Community Games & Death has 1 thing in common...

I hope a lot of you Community Games developers know alot of taxes. If not, you're about to get schooled...

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/tax_law_and_community_games

If you're in the US you'll need to fill out a W9 and get a EIN (Employer Identification Number).

For you poor guys outside the US it gets way more complicated. You'll need 4 years of college in tax law. LOL

A bunch bullCRAP if you ask me. If Microsoft had just offered developers the option to give their games away for free, then this tax nonsense wouldn't be needed. Just another hurdle to ruin the whole point behind Community Games. Oh well.

Tommy McClain

Hi Tommy,

A W-9 is not to apply to get an EIN. A w-9 is what you give to Microsoft so that they can report to the IRS any payments they make to you. (And ultimately, so you can report that income on your own tax return). Individuals would put their SSN on the form. (If you are developing as a corporation, you'd put the corporations EIN on the form).

It's analagous to filling out a W-4 for an employer. It's just something you gotta do.

It's not a big deal. :)

Hey Joe,

Tell that to those outside the US. Read the forums at XNA.com for more info.

Tommy McClain

Back