Pixel Junk Eden

This game needs rope swings in mid air. The best roping action I ever experienced was the Amiga game Fury of the Furries. Rope control got quite complex, swinging your mass and shrinking/lengthening the rope to control speed etc. Eden lacks the fun of the motion that FotF's had, and as that's pretty much all you're doing in this game, I think it falls short of what it could be.

What's to be had in multiplayer? Looks to me like 2/3 people independently doing the same thing.

In addition to what Deepbrown said:

PSBlog said:
My personal favorite is a trophy that you can only achieve in 3P mode, where you have to “volley” a player between you back and forth five times without him/her landing on a plant, a bit like tennis.

This game needs rope swings in mid air. The best roping action I ever experienced was the Amiga game Fury of the Furries. Rope control got quite complex, swinging your mass and shrinking/lengthening the rope to control speed etc. Eden lacks the fun of the motion that FotF's had, and as that's pretty much all you're doing in this game, I think it falls short of what it could be.

What's to be had in multiplayer? Looks to me like 2/3 people independently doing the same thing.
What a great game was FotF.

I missed swinging in mid air too. A way to accelerate swing/jumps could also be nice. And I find the sequentially increasing number of Spectra collecting objective a cheap trick (maybe there is a point in the full game). Music sucks (well at least it is dynamic). Not a big fan of visuals either. They are neither good or bad, just a side effect of gameplay.

But I have to say, this game impressed me much more than FotF (or any demo) ever did.
While it's probably wise to reserve judgment until the full experience, I have to say this much:
The game feels like it has the simplicity of Tetris (simple mechanics, only 2.5 buttons and only one is essential) as well as it's addictive nature. Yet it's platformer/exploration game with dynamically growing environments, and seemingly deep swinging mechanics. Yes it's pretty deep and fun. Combos are generously rewarded besides the score. And getting that lifesaving 5th monster sometimes requires heroic jumps after swinging.

I sometimes find myself swinging and jumping aimlessly, forgetting about the timer, score or objective. Every time I played a particular garden it felt like a different level. Add freshness of the mechanics to this you may even have a casual artsy game. Whether it's or not, not often you come by a game where even practically no-risk early beginnings are fun.

edit: Congrats to Q-games, they successfully branded Pixel Junk name. That said, I'm not particularly excited about a top down dungeon crawler with 2d sprites and poor animation. It worked for a puzzle game. Eden doesn't even need them, but a dungeon crawler? Have to wait and see.

Okay, it sounds like multiplayer is worth trying. I would also have preferred a separate jump button to the double-tap. Jumping and swinging seem both sufficiently frequent activities that the awkwardness of a double-tap doesn't seem justified when you have 8 easy buttons and hand motions to play with!

Seems to be out today in all regions, with Trophies, YouTube integration, etc.

Will it be released in Europe too, or is it typical SCEE ****ing us again?
Deborah Mars replied on July 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Absolutely. It will be on the PS Store Thursday, July 31 in N. America, Europe and Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow? You mean today. It's available to buy now on the EU PSN store, the only addition for the Thursday update, it looks like.

Err, yes. Looking forward to some impressions. Probably will get it just to check out all the new PSN features and maybe seduce my wife to a game or two.

The game is fantastic!

I've collected all the spectra from the first garden now. I love how each garden not only presents a unique theme and mood but new challenges as well.

I've totally got a handle on the controls now. When you first start playing it it feels very clumsy and inprecise. But after a few hours you realise how genius this control layout it. It just feels so natural and so right.

They improved the game a bit since the demo. In the demo it was a little too hard to see that line that pointed in the direction you were going to jump. They've made that line a bit more obvious now.

I feel like of bad because I bought SC4 for full price today. But I all want to do is play this cheap little PSN game.

The game is fantastic!

I've collected all the spectra from the first garden now. I love how each garden not only presents a unique theme and mood but new challenges as well.

I've totally got a handle on the controls now. When you first start playing it it feels very clumsy and inprecise. But after a few hours you realise how genius this control layout it. It just feels so natural and so right.

They improved the game a bit since the demo. In the demo it was a little too hard to see that line that pointed in the direction you were going to jump. They've made that line a bit more obvious now.

I feel like of bad because I bought SC4 for full price today. But I all want to do is play this cheap little PSN game.

Yep it's great :D On Garden 7 now...the amount of gameplay is staggering really.

So far I've encountered cannons, teleports and gravity changing :D

One thing...I remember people saying they hated having to press x twice to jump (to let go of your thread)...but with me I don't do that at all. I hold x to jump with thread, then let go of the button to let go of my thread... So am I doing it differently to everyone?

I've made a couple of youtube videos I'll link later.

Loco Roco Cocorecchio was an interesting experiment, but for me disappointing because it's just not nearly as good as the PSP Loco Roco game proper. I really hope that Loco Roco 2 comes to PSN as well, because it's my favorite platformer of all time!

Loco Roco proper is miles better than Eden, but Eden costs 7.99 and it's pretty neat, especially with the multiplayer also (and nice touch that there are separate leaderboards for 2 and 3 players). The Trophies do help in this game too - they make stuff like getting all the seeds in an area more fun, for instance. The falling down aspect of this game, although rarely fatal to your progress, still annoys me and I've clocked a few trophies already.

Not as much as you though you little trophy whore ... ;) Actually I still think this game is frustrating, a little too at times. Playing this game always feels like a waste of time. It's still addictive, mind, but I think I'll drop the game soon.

Not as much as you though you little trophy whore ... ;) Actually I still think this game is frustrating, a little too at times. Playing this game always feels like a waste of time. It's still addictive, mind, but I think I'll drop the game soon.

Not as much a waste of time as playing COD4 online, or Resistance online. Or any online shooter for that matter.

And all good puzzle games are frustrating. That makes the accomplishment all the sweeter.

The game is so good!

I've been playing this almost all day with some breaks for SC4. I've got 10 of trophies now. And I've currently ranked #35 overall on the global leader board.

It's so addicting even if it is frustrating at times. Actually it's really only frustrating when you are trying to get all spectra per garden or unlock all of the seedpods. For people who just want to have some fun and get 1 or 2 spectra per garden it should be mostly a pretty chilled out experience.

I feel like I am ripping off the developer only playing $8 for such an amazing experience. I hope there will be expansion packs. I love this game.

Edit: I wish there was a Speed Run leader board and not just a score board. I just got the 10min grip trophy by beating the first level in 8:45 and now I have the urge to speed run through all of them! If only there was some sort of online tracking for it. I guess I can just upload to you tube or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is so good!

I've been playing this almost all day with some breaks for SC4. I've got 10 of trophies now. And I've currently ranked #35 overall on the global leader board.

i got up to #14 but at that stage it's about getting as many combos of 5 as you can and getting each specter or crystals when you're just about to die. and a level can take an hour odd to get a decent score. anyway hopefully it wont wear thin.

Though this game board me in single player, it was a lot more fun multiplayer. Multiplayer makes any game great!

He he. Don't tell Carl or he'll peg me up in the 'Posting Rules and Decorum' thread as a bad influence :p

Made the plunge...

Silly fun game. It suits my evening decompress time very well. The soundtrack is wicked. Some killer minimal techno tunes. I didn't even know there was multiplayer. Can't wait to check it out tonight.

Took me a couple play throughs before I really felt comfortable with the controls. Can't wait to get all the spectra so I can use my own custom playlists.

Never heard of Bayion who did the tracks, but I'd be curious to see what else he has done (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Baiyon)

Back