S3 Graphics Chrome 400 Series Graphics Processors

Nobody interested in non-ATi/NV-archictectures? Or do you have problems with automatic translation?

Here are some picked in my opionion interesting poinst:
- 196M transitors @ 65nm made at TSMC, not like former GPU at Fujitsu

- 4 TMUs with full speed FP32 filtering :LOL:

- only 1 ROP, but able to push out 4 pixel and 16 Z per clock, one-cylce-4xMSAA

- final shader-domain frequency is supposed to be 1.2GHz

- 32 ALUs which are able about 1 MADD and 1 SF per clock, but there were told these are no scalar units, but vector units, which gives even with Vec2 > 100 GFLOPs
(under D3DRighmark Beta 4 version and D3D10 VS and GS tests it seem that D3 can reach this performance -> up to 6-times 8400 GS performance)

So S3 seems to be able to make still state-of-art architectures and with more money and maybe better managment they should be able to be competitive in more than just low-end.
Lets hope that they keep their promise for 2009 and we will see a midrange-part, maybe be on hyped 40nm process paired with GDDR5. :D

I really don't care for high end, if they can make a very competetive mid range card and good low end cards they can earn more $$$ than by putting out high end cards that are expensive to produce and are targeted at very limited market. Reviewers and ppl will advertise them by themself if they're good, no need to release super high end just to prove you can make the fastest card for next 3 months, because after that competitor will again release something faster anyway... mid range cards on the other hand are made to last.
S3 has potential but i'm not sure if they know that...

Nobody interested in non-ATi/NV-archictectures?

I'm interested in all architectures, including Intel and S3.
But for me it's mostly theoretical, they are generally not the kind of cards I will buy myself...
Aside from performance generally being low, there are also problems like driver support and availability.
So far ATi is the only company that ever escaped the low-performance buggy driver circle and managed to become competitive with nVidia.
S3 has potential with this design, but can they turn it into a success in the marketplace aswell?
I'm also eagerly awaiting Intel's Larrabee demonstration... let's see if they can get a piece of the pie.

great review!!:D

Nobody interested in non-ATi/NV-archictectures? Or do you have problems with automatic translation?

Here are some picked in my opionion interesting poinst:
- 196M transitors @ 65nm made at TSMC, not like former GPU at Fujitsu

I'm sure it's manufactured at Fujitsu...not TSMC.

- final shader-domain frequency is supposed to be 1.2GHz

that high??:???:

440GTX
geometry shader performance is very good !!
stream out performance ?

cubemapgs440gtx774.jpg

cubemapgs3870793.jpg

metaballs440gtx858.jpg

metaballs3870933.jpg

particlesgs440gtx263.jpg

particlesgs3870619.jpg

Wow, not bad at all. Any possible comparison in something real (like games)?
I'd like to see how it performs there compared to this Radeon card (HD3850 maybe?)

Wow, not bad at all. Any possible comparison in something real (like games)?
I'd like to see how it performs there compared to this Radeon card (HD3850 maybe?)

It's not aimed at the 3850, so it probably wouldn't fare all that well.

Because TMU and ROP are important by a real game, 440GTX will be slow.
What you should pay attention to is geometry shader performance here

As you know, as for GPU of ATI R600, geometry shader is fast.
But 440GTX is faster.

440cube277.jpg

3870cube731.jpg

440car390.jpg

3870car895.jpg

Back