Factor 5 on their Wii engine.

They sure do but IMO they have developed the most impressive PS3 title so far.

It would be more so if they are given the time to polish it. The game has some glaringly rough edges. But yes, in terms of scale, this game is fascinating.

T1&2 was created on the C64 and only ported to the Amiga by Factor 5. Was a damn nice port though :D
I stand corrected! Who owns the IP then? Factor 5 have talked about a Turrican sequel on consoles, or a release on download, or something anyhow!

I agree with Shifty. We meet guys like Julian from time to time and we call them "Jackasses". Too busy running his mouth to stop and take a look around.

This is wholly apart from his merits as a game designer, of course.

The bottom line is that his comments are hardly worth discussion. Kinda fun to see people put their foot in their mouth tho.

I stand corrected! Who owns the IP then? Factor 5 have talked about a Turrican sequel on consoles, or a release on download, or something anyhow!
I doubt F5 have talked about a sequel. Turrican was owned by Rainbow Arts and its IP now remains in THQ AFAIK. There was a a Turrican 3D planned, I even seen early screenshots somewhere - but apparently it got canned when Rainbow Arts got bought.

He was confused. He meant 2d. It's a sprite pushing monster...
No difference there though. The big boxes can push HD sprites all day long. Indeed in terms of texture bandwidth which is what sprite pushing comes down to, Wii has ~4 GB/s across 300k pixels, XB360 has ~21 GB/s across 900k pixels, and PS3 has ~45 GB/s across the same. So Wii can offer 4 megs of textures a second per pixel at SD, XB360 can do 23 megs a second of textures per pixel, and PS3 can do twice that. PS3 even has more BW at 1080p than Wii has at SD. All this is off course irrelevant as for 2D they've all got way in excess resources.

I agree with Entrophy. I even said so in the first reply, although badly worded. But at the very least, we can expect something special graphically out of their next engine.

I do wonder... is Parallax Mapping possible on the Wii? That's probably asking for too much, though.

I will crap my pants if I see a developer pull parallax mapping off on the Wii in real time. It could be programed to do it, I'm pretty confident, it's a question of doing it fast enough. My favorite example of parallax mapping was the bullet holes in FEAR considering it was very noticeable and I could just gauk at it when I first saw it and really notice the parallax effect. But then again the Wii GPU is a whole other animal, especially when it comes to programming shaders for it.

Turrican was excellent.
Turrican was created by Manfred Trenz on the C64, and ported to other platforms by Factor5. Manfred Trenz, who also did Katakis and the graphics for Giana Sisters, never worked for Factor5. Factor5 owns the Turrican IP in the US and most of Europe, though. THQ owns the IP in German speaking countries.

Manfred Trenz founded a new studio a while ago, Denaris Entertainment, where he worked on Katakis 2 for PC and C64, and the (unreleased) Mario Kart XXL for Nintendo. I believe that studio is dead now, since he's currently porting shovelware to NDS for some German budget developer.

IMO they've never made a good game. Graphics is never the problem. They make excellent technology, but the gameplay is always so simplistic and limited. The only game they've made that has depth is Indiana Jones for N64, and that was just a port from LucasArts. Everything else they've done has been incredibly overrated.

I thought all their Star Wars games up to Rogue Leader were quite good. Rebel Strike wasn't that good, but it still had its moments.

I thought all their Star Wars games up to Rogue Leader were quite good. Rebel Strike wasn't that good, but it still had its moments.

For me they were just bad arcade game teases of a more "simulation"-oriented X-Wing-style game. Very pretty, but very shallow (maybe due to console controls?) Simulations have never been the console market's forte.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me they were just bad arcade game teases of a more "simulation"-oriented X-Wing-style game. Very pretty, but very shallow (maybe due to console controls?) Simulations have never been the console market's forte.
Its because the gameplay in the Rogue Squadron was based on and is almost identical the classic vector based Star Wars Arcade game. The gameplay is simple but winning medals is very challenging. The only one I didn't like was Rebel Strike.

Eggebeicht should just shut up, TBH. If this comment is right, and Broadway is handling the progressive mesh of Lair to the same detail and draw distance (along with everything else), than his comments that only Cell makes it possible are trash, and he's to be ignored. Whereas if he's completely wrong, and the Wii engine isn't managing what the PS3 was, than his comments that Wii's achieving everything PS3 was and then some are trash and he's to be ignored.

He is the archetypal blow-hard. Shut up and make games, man!
He was specifically talking about his engine's feature set. He didn't say or imply that Wii was as powerful as a PS3.

Its because the gameplay in the Rogue Squadron was based on and is almost identical the classic vector based Star Wars Arcade game. The gameplay is simple but winning medals is very challenging. The only one I didn't like was Rebel Strike.
Yeah I know. It occurred to me later in the day that I should've mentioned that... Still, it's not the gameplay I'm looking for. I don't like the Starfighter games either, because they are the same thing. It just feels like arcadey play that would fit better in the SNES era (or further back as with the really old SW game). Been there, done that, was surpassed. Hell, the Super Star Wars SNES games have some Mode 7 play that's similar. Star Wars Arcade for 32X remade the original, and then Shadows of the Empire did it too. Prettier and prettier we get with the same old gameplay.

I am infinitely more interested in seeing something like X-Wing Alliance, taken to the next level with regards to simulation, story, and graphics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think even though Factor5 is currently at the GDC we won't get in-game visuals from their Wii engine for the time being. After all I guess and also hope that they will show footage when they are in a quite advanced stadium of development. I currently have the impression that the engine and some basic things are finished but the real game development may be a bit to early to show.

There will be a QA session by Chuck McFadden

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=92019

Back