I think I killed my mobo

linthat22

Regular
I think I killed my mobo *updated*

I currently have an Asus P5K Deluxe wi/fi mobo.

I was poking around in the bios today and say something called EZ-Flash.

I went into that utility to see what all was in there and the computer just hang. Since I didn't make any changes while in the bios I just reset the computer.

After that I didn't receive the beep during post, heck it didn't even post. I get no screen or anything. I power up the machine and it just runs, no beeps, no hard drive clicks, no nothing.

I called Asus and the guy said to call back tomorrow to get an RMA number.

So does it sound like I inadvertently fried the BIOS eeprom?

*update*

down below

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, EZ-flash is like a built in bios flasher actually in the BIOS. You run EZ-flash, feed it a BIOS image, and it loads it into the BIOS. Don't some of those Asus motherboards have a recovery BIOS that allows you to flash back or boot from a backup? I think they call it "crashfree" - try looking that up in your manual.

BIOS recovery should be automatic on most if not all new motherboards since a few years ago.
I've fschked my BIOS through overclocking and it automatically just restores the BIOS from it's onboard backup.

Your motherboard should give you a keyboard shortcut command that will force the reset of the BIOS, I've had the same issue you've had on one of my older computers (blank screen, will not boot or anything) and the shortcut will fix everything (assuming your motherboard has one).

Yea, I put the DVD that came with the mobo in the dvd drive and when I turned it on you'd hear it wind up. I hit the alt+F2 combo to initiate the flash but it did nothing.

Like I said I get no beeps or anything when I turn it on. I don't know if that means anything or not for this situation.

Yea, I put the DVD that came with the mobo in the dvd drive and when I turned it on you'd hear it wind up. I hit the alt+F2 combo to initiate the flash but it did nothing.

Like I said I get no beeps or anything when I turn it on. I don't know if that means anything or not for this situation.

Have you tried manually clearing the BIOS? Usually there's a jumper on the motherboard that reset the BIOS back to default setting.

Bear in mind that this is only for a good BIOS that has the wrong settings on it so your machine won't POST. If you have screwed your BIOS itself, then you need to use whatever BIOS recovery system is available to you, such as crashfree.

Have you tried manually clearing the BIOS? Usually there's a jumper on the motherboard that reset the BIOS back to default setting.

Bear in mind that this is only for a good BIOS that has the wrong settings on it so your machine won't POST. If you have screwed your BIOS itself, then you need to use whatever BIOS recovery system is available to you, such as crashfree.

Well, I did remove the battery and change a jumper to reset and clear the cmos. I know it's not the same thing. I searched the manual about the bios and it all seems software driven as far as changes go. I'll try again tonight with the disc that came with the mobo and see what happens. Otherwise I'm stuck sending it off to Asus, because of me poking around.

Have you completely disconnected the power? Like, unplugging the computer fully?

don't most asus mbs revert to "failsafe" bios settings by holding enter during power-on?

*Update*

I tried my wife's RAM in my machine and it did the same thing (no post beeps).

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll chalk this up as a learning experience to not poke around in the bios (even though I didn't change anything).

I have to say that I'm still happy with Asus products. Regardless of my predicament.

*Update Number 2*

I wrapped my mobo in plastic wrap and mailed it off to Asus. From what they are saying they'll either repair it or replace it, so all in all I'm good.

I sure do miss my computer. I've been using this Linux box for the passed couple weeks and I can't stand it. I think in another version or two, Ubuntu will be ready for anyone (that doesn't know shit about linux code).

"(that doesn't know shit about linux code)"
I know nothing about Linux code and I've been using various Linux distros very comfortably. :p

but have you ever had to install a driver?

See, that's what I ran into when I was trying to install the ATI video driver. I ended up using some program that'll fetch me a copy and install it.

Otherwise I couldn't do shit with the drivers I downloaded from ATI. I tried though, I honestly did. For over 4 hours.

I agree but modern distros already have these helpers included.

I'd recommend Pclinuxos. It seems less restrictive than Ubuntu. Also it uses KDE, which is great because the basic apps for it are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
but have you ever had to install a driver?

Very easily with nVidia and Ati cards.
Ati you have to do a bit more work but the instructions are there and ready and you just need to follow them, after a while you just get used to it.

With an nVidia card it's even simpler than installing under Windows Vista.
ctrl-alt-f1
*login*
init 3
./nvidia's-long-filename-etc.sh

Just hit enter at the copyright text and that's it, simply restart Gnome/KDE/etc.../Window Manager.

I can hit keystrokes very quickly to do all the above, while it takes me longer to move my mouse around under Windows.

well its not so easy with my adsl pci modem
the driver is only available as source code plus i have to recompile the kernal to add ppoe support and no doubt install gcc and eveerything it depends on and ill its header files ect

in fact getting my modem to work under linux even has its own wiki page
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PPPoA_ADSL_with_a_Conexant_Accessrunner_PCI_modem

just one of the many things i have to add:

!/sbin/runscript
#
# This is the boot/shutdown script for the driver for the
# Conexant AccessRunner ADSL modem.
#

# Changelog:
# - now it determines whether PCI card exists or not
# - missing "fi" is fixed
# - indicates when firmware is loaded
# - now it uses modprobe instead of insmod
# - wait for line to sync before returning, times out after 2 minutes

# determine if we are loading or unloading

opts="start stop status"

depend() {
after modules
}

start() {
# if the driver is not already loaded then
# Load the module
if lspci | grep -q 'System peripheral: Conexant ADSL AccessRunner'; then
if [[ `lsmod | grep -o -e "CnxADSL"` ]] ; then
eerror "Conexant PCI ADSL Modem is already loaded"
eend $?
else
ebegin "Starting Conexant PCI ADSL Modem"
modprobe CnxADSL \
CnxtDslVendorId=0x14F1 \
CnxtDslArmDeviceId=0x1610 \
CnxtDslAdslDeviceId=0x1611 \
CnxtDslPhysicalDriverType=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
eend $?

ebegin "Conexant firmware loaded"
/etc/Conexant/cnxadslload -i0 /etc/Conexant >/dev/null 2>&1
sleep 1
einfon "Waiting for CnxADSL to sync ."
sleep 5
cnt=0
while [ -n "$(grep ^Line /proc/net/atm/CnxAdsl\:0 \
| grep "Not available")" ]
do
cnt=`expr $cnt + 1`
if [ $cnt -gt 27 ] ; then
# Waited 60 seconds now. Fail.
echo
eend 1 "Failed."
break
fi
sleep 2
echo -n "."
done
echo
eend 0
fi
fi
}

stop() {
# if the driver is started then stop it
ebegin "Stopping Conexant PCI ADSL Modem"
#kill pppd if running
if [ -x /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 ] ; then
/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 stop >/dev/null 2>&1
else
if [[ `ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep` ]] ; then
ps ax | grep pppd | awk '{print $1}' \
| xargs kill -9 >/dev/null 2>&1
fi
fi
#unload the module
modprobe -r CnxADSL
eend $?
else
ebegin "Conexant PCI ADSL Modem was not loaded"
eend $?
fi
}

status() {
cat /proc/net/atm/CnxAdsl:0
else
echo "Conexant PCI ADSL Modem is not loaded"
fi
}

What I like about new Ubuntu is that most things work out-of-box. Still, I don't believe Linux will ever became a popular OS, it is just too messy.

Back