NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find nill AA/anisotropic low setting crysis benchmarks less than convincing ... I dunno what's going on there but I think it's by far the least relevant of the benchmarks.
Hence why I said:

"Pretty underwhelming at this stage."

The GTX 280 is just way way faster at very high resolutions with high levels of AA, most of the time 2x or greater performance improvement. And considering that it has relatively low idle power consumption given it's very high performance, it's a big success in my opinion.

Oh, and the two "best" results in favor of GTX 280 should not be completely disregarded. Those are no fluke, this card has much more horsepower than 9800 GTX when it comes to powering through high resolutions with high levels of AA.

Yes, but in the case of very high resolutions with high levels of AA, it's mostly due to the fact that GTX 280 has twice the memory of 9800 GTX. Compared to 8800 GTX (w/768 MB) at those same setting it will still have a lead, but nothing as drastic as when compared to 9800 GTX (w/512 MB) which falls off a cliff at high res and high quality settings.

IE - the "best" benches that show the GTX 280 overpowering the 9800 GTX are due to the larger memory pool rather than GT200 being anywhere near 400%+ faster than G80/92.

It's respectable certainly and there won't be anything to touch it for a few months at the very least.

Also have to commend NV for the low idle power consumption. Although load power is too high for my usage.

Regards,
Croaker

It is a little more complicated than that.... there are a variety of problems high resolutions present and the amount of memory is only one factor.

Another very significant issue in modern titles at high resolutions is shader throughput where the 280 has a large advantage over the 8800GTX, not to mention fillrate or bandwidth.

You can see that this is the case by comparing 1GB 9800GTX results vs the 280.

The performance looks pretty good, concern must be the price compared to the AMD offering and power consumption.

At the moment I only have one game where I am limited, Crysis, so I don't feel the need to buy either card. Upcoming games should be ok as well, I guess that happens when you are still in XP DX9 24inch monitor land....

On a theoretical level it would be nice to see nvidia playing catchup again, for price pressure and also to give the Ati lot at AMD back a bit of mojo that they have been lacking recently.

Hmmm did Nvidia start cutting off pinkies or something? Even the guys in Asia are respecting the NDA this time around.

Heh they're wrong, the ROPs and MCs aren't where they think they are, sorry! ;) And I already gave out the die size percentages of each block previously...

If it's from NV, and I don't know that it is, then yes NV is wrong! :p It's not even that hard to see on a half-size die shot ffs...

Hmm, be wary of whether the test you read features a comparison with G92 or G80:

http://www.it.com.cn/f/diy/086/16/609817_16.htm

1920x1200 16xAF/4xAA:

GTX280 - 39fps
8800U - 37fps - 95%
9800GTX - 21fps - 54%

I think that's the most extreme case and it appears that 512MB hurts just because of the memory consumption of MSAA, but it's an eye-opener.

Jawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back