NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah it's a 2GB Tesla card (just my guess)

2GB wouldn't be that surprising, considering the targeted market, and the fact that there are 1.5GB G80-based cards out there for some time now.

As a Geforce, however, a single-GPU 2GB~4GB high-end card would be somewhat of a novelty (yes, i know there are 2GB 9600 GT's, but it's not the same thing since they won't even remotely use all of that space anyway).

Possibly, it may be 4GB VRAM.... that would make nobody believe :cool:
Given that no 2gbit gddr3 memory exists, would be indeed hard to believe - would need 32 1gbit chips. I think the pcb layout is already complex enough with 16 memory chips...
2GB OTOH doesn't seem outrageous - while 1gbit gddr3 chips seem to be a bit rare and only available up to 1Ghz (it seems the fast stuff is only available for 512mbit chips), several vendors have these in their portfolio (and there are some cards today using them already).

That picture's not really representative.

g80-cluster.png

And this one? :LOL:
I still don't see the local memory... :?:
The IU could be the interpolator unit?

But as a whole (so it could be the same structure of R600, the increase due only to increase of SU count) or in each Shader Unit? :p

I still don't see the local memory...

The local memory is just the parallel data cache that's used for inter-thread communication. It's there in G80 as well.

You're probably not going to have luck finding any insights by comparing different interpretations of G80's structure. There probably isn't a single diagram that shows everything.

g80-cluster.png

And this one? :LOL:
I still don't see the local memory... :?:
The IU could be the interpolator unit?
The diagram mentions there's no real representation of all the memory pools. The GT200 diagram talks about those though :p IU is likely that, yeah.

I might revisit the G8x diagrams after GT200 to add some extra detail back in.

nVidias magicians work in marketing department and their misson is simple - to conceal weak points of the new GPU (which seems to be i bit older than G92/G94)
icon_angel.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back