NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count them out of the high-end game so quickly. What about R700... a true bridged dual-GPU solution. By the numbers above it suggests it could pull ahead of the GTX280.

Again, I no longer will fall for the ATI rumor mill when it comes to performance of their cards. Until they PROVE they can compete, I want to see it. And I when I say I want to see it, I mean actual gameplay(HOCP way or apples to apples, dont care) benches. Flybys, cutscenes, synthitics and walkthrus are not what a game is.

Apples to apples would be game at same settings for both cards using the same platform with most currently available set of drivers.

Whats no to believe? ATI basicly gave up after the G80 launched. As far as I'm concerned, I dont believe a single thing right now when it comes to anything numbers related to there "unreleased stuff". I dont care if CJ were to post a screenshot of of his own system running a new ATI GPU not yet seen by the world, I want to see it to believe it. And I dont believe the 30% faster than 9800GTX either.

Whats not to believe is that those 4870 and 4850 numbers for Vantage scores were made up: even CJ said they weren't his, someone else on another forum added them in when CJ only stated the GTX280/260 scores.

Whats not to believe is that those 4870 and 4850 numbers for Vantage scores were made up: even CJ said they weren't his, someone else on another forum added them in when CJ only stated the GTX280/260 scores.

Sorry, should have sepreated my post and edited your qoute, let me fix now.

Again, I no longer will fall for the ATI rumor mill when it comes to performance of their cards. Until they PROVE they can compete, I want to see it. And I when I say I want to see it, I mean actual gameplay(HOCP way or apples to apples, dont care) benches. Flybys, cutscenes, synthitics and walkthrus are not what a game is.

Apples to apples would be game at same settings for both cards using the same platform with most currently available set of drivers.

But you do still fall for the nVidia rumor mill when it comes to performance? ;)
Anyway, like said, those performance HD numbers came from a different source or a hat

But you do still fall for the nVidia rumor mill when it comes to performance? ;)
Anyway, like said, those performance HD numbers came from a different source or a hat

Not entirely, but after the last 2 launches, ATI has gone from credible to prove it.

Never mind dual-GPU cards. Their performance is not comparable with single-GPUs.

AFR sucks .

What about Crossfire AA ? For those of us with small displays that like maximum details? i don't get micro stutter with Crossfire as it is not pure AFR any longer. How else can AMD compete except with X2 and later X3?

i hate to post this:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7586&Itemid=1

it looks that Nvidia will launch both GT200 in week 25 2008.

A few of our sources have confirmed that they are in preparation to launch these boards at that time. As Nvidia set quite high standards the boards are suppose to be available at launch, and Nvidia has to ship in volume at the launch date.

The biggest issue is the price as around $600 might be too steep but at the same time GT200 / D10U-30 the board that you now known as Geforce GTX 280 will definitely be faster than dual chip Geforce 9800 GX2 that sells for minimum of $500.

ATI’s Radeon 4870 and 4850 will both end up slower but they will also cost significantly less. From what we know, 4870 should cost $229 and it will be slower than any GT200 but it will be almost twice cheaper.

How else can AMD compete except with X2 and later X3?

How about going back to the drawing board and figure out where you screwed up, fix it and then come back with a single chip that can compete. Oh, wait, I'm sorry, they already gave up on that idea and have desided that there only need to be 1 top dog and it aint gonna be them.

xman26: must you respond to every post in this thread?

We get it; you don't trust ATi. Not many of us do either.

There is this little thing called "hope" though.

FFS, this is the GT200 thread, not the RV770/R700 thread!

I gotta agree there. My 3870X2 suffers from these nasty fps drops, and it makes me mad.

I'll never buy this dual crap again.

A shared memory pool (if exploited properly by the driver) should solve many of the problems multi-GPU solutions currently experience.

For the record: my own experience with X1900 CF back in the day was horrendous, so I am extremely distrustful of CF in particular and will wait until results are available before dealing in more than theory WRT R700.

Charlie Demerjian (over at The Inquirer) seems to have gone absolutely berserk!

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/29/nvidia-gt200-sucessor-tapes

Among other things he claims:

- The GT200b (55nm version of GT200) has now taped out.

- Only 40% of the chips on a GT200 wafer actually work, and that's including the ones that only work as GTX 260 (but not as 280).

- This means that cost per chip is ~$125 from the foundry, and more likely ~$150 with other costs factored in.

- The boards are also expensive to make because of all the memory chips, large number of layers, and heavy duty cooling.

- TDP for the 260 is 182W. For the 280 it's 236W.

- The 260 performance will be directly comparable to the RV770 ("about equal for most things"). (Nvidia has big Z-Pixel advantage, ATI has big Shader FLOPS advantage). But, of course, the 260 costs about 50% more than the RV770. The 280 will be 25% faster (than RV770, I think he means) but cost more than double the amount.

- GT200 is six months late, and they badly missed the clock speed targets.

- R700 will "crush GT200 in just about every conceivable benchmark" and probably cost less. (He also reckons it is only a month behind RV770).

- GT200b is only ~400 mm^2 unlike the 576mm^2 of the GT200. It may clock higher if the 55nm process allows better perf/watt. Board will likely be $50 cheaper. It will be out late Summer or early Autumn, "instantly obsoleting" GT200.

- GT200 supply will be very strictly limited, with only 4 AIB vendors involved initially.

- 260 and 280 prices will be $449 and $649. There is serious discussion of a $100 price-drop to bring price/perf closer to ATI level, but Charlie thinks this is unlikely.

A lot of this probably rubbish, but if there really is a GT200b on the way, and it has taped out already, that is certainly interesting.

"Heavy duty cooling" ?

Judging by the leaked photos, the GTX 280 cooler is practically the same one as the unit (same length, same fan, same general configuration, etc) found on the Geforce 9800 GTX -and 8800 GTS 512MB for that matter-.

I think he totally lost it now...

"Heavy duty cooling" ?
Well, that was my choice of words. :) He says:
To add insult to injury, the TDPs of the 260 and 280 are 182W and 236W respectively. This means big copper heatsinks, possibly heatpipes, and high-end fans. Those parts cost a lot of money to buy, assemble and ship. Not fatal, but not a good situation either. It also precludes a dual GPU board without losing a lot of speed.

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/09/13/nvidia-g80-mystery-starts-thickening

Charlie Demerjian said:
G80 is not going to be a converged shader unit like the ATI R500/XBox360 or R600, it will do things the 'old' way.

In any case, NV is heavily downplaying the DX10 performance, instead shouting about DX9 to anyone who will listen. If the G80 is more or less two 7900s like we hear, it should do pretty well at DX9, but how it stacks up to R600 in DX9 is not known. R600 should annihilate it in DX10 benches though. We hear G80 has about 1/3 of it's die dedicated to DX10 functionality.

In any case, the G80 is shaping up to be a patchy part. In some things, it may absolutely scream, but fall flat in others.The architecture is looking to be quite different from anything else out there, but again, that may not be a compliment. In either case, before you spend $1000 on two of these beasts, it may be prudent to wait for R600 numbers.

:LOL:

Graphics card Vantage Xtreme profile*
GeForce GTX 280 41xx
GeForce GTX 260 38xx
GeForce 8800 Ultra 24xx

If these numbers are correct 280 is 70% faster and 260 is 58% faster than Ultra in Vantage extreme.

A tad underwhelming, indeed.

Seems 260 will be the far better value as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back