NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OT] GeForce 9800 uses the same chip as the 8800 GT and GTS. So it's not a "not monumental" leap, it's no leap at all. [/OT]

Well arguably 8800GTS-320/640 and 8800GTX are the true "8-series". Nvidia just made a mockery of G92 naming.

You wouldn't be able to, as the lowest one would be at least C. ;)

Ah, but you're forgetting something where those extra letters would become quite useful nowadays at Nvidia: renaming.

8800 GS -> 9600 GSO
Geforce C/C 150- -> Geforce D/D+ 140

And let's not forget the obscure OEM-only parts, like the 32bit memory bus equipped (!) Geforce Go 7200, as possible examples of what's to come if they don't get their (branding) act together.

:devilish:

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but are we to expect a partially disabled die product as well (e.g. original 8800GTS)? If so, any speculation what it might look like?

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but are we to expect a partially disabled die product as well (e.g. original 8800GTS)? If so, any speculation what it might look like?

I think most agree that the rumored $499 GT200 part is actually the "GTS" version (GTX 260?).

No there is no GT100. Just like there is no G60. All these "codenames" are not on the same level (as Arun already pointed out 4 different codenames that are all basically valid).
You are missing the context of T. You know the word behind the T, you know GT200 is comming out. Yet you have zero idea what came before T and what comes after T (let alone which products it maps to). So I'd be a tad careful about your first statement. ;)

are you kidding me?
--Please DO expound on this "context" that i appear to so unaware of. Perhaps i did not care to go into detail.

Yes it is. I guess receiving constructive feedback is not a skill you've quite mastered as yet. Wasn't trying to insult or embarrass you. And writing for yourself on a public forum is just a tad narcissistic btw.
Oh yeah, my mother used to call a "slap in public", constructive also ... back in the 50s, when i was a kid. Frankly, i think she embarrassed herself. =P
- and no worries, i am beyond embarrassments and ego, long ago - and i am still here with you guys [and loving it]; you have some great insights and sometime you also need to realize that a good "teasing" is occasionally in order.

As to "writing on a Public" forum, sure - i *love* myself and i take great care of me! .. and i am really proud of my own stupid opinion!!
- as to my other "writing" that i get paid for; it is boring - like everyone else's - but that will change!!!

That month the coke in the NV PR deparment was exceptional quality.
if you mean Coca-Cola, the Sugar cane was replaced by beet sugar, wasn't it?
- if you mean the 'other', you are confusing coke with the old days and ATi PR's liberal use of hallucinogenics they used create "advertising" to sell Radeons to 12 year olds.
:p

Oh yeah, my mother used to call a "slap in public", constructive also ... back in the 50s, when i was a kid. Frankly, i think she embarrassed herself. =P

Heh, yeah I guess that's one way of looking at it. Anyway, glad you're enjoying our company.

Heh, yeah I guess that's one way of looking at it. Anyway, glad you're enjoying our company.

i have to tell you the truth .. you are all a little .. um, self assured
- but you have the most accurate insider info of any forum i visit and best analysis!

. . . and i enjoy being allowed to post here .. i know i am a little different; but i do bring a rather unique viewpoint of the HW industry to our discussions. i feel that it may be slightly more pragmatic rather than theoretically or technically more accurate than you guys are want to be.

i have to tell you the truth .. you are all a little .. um, self assured
- but you have the most accurate insider info of any forum i visit and best analysis!

. . . and i enjoy being allowed to post here .. i know i am a little different; but i do bring a rather unique viewpoint of the HW industry to our discussions. i feel that it may be slightly more pragmatic rather than theoretically or technically more accurate than you guys are want to be.

Lower yourself down off that pedestal already and blend in with the crowd. I don't read this forum to watch you dance around like a clown and clamor for attention, I come here to read the most impressive and expert forum I have ever found, as I'm sure most people do.

Lower yourself down off that pedestal already and blend in with the crowd. I don't read this forum to watch you dance around like a clown and clamor for attention, I come here to read the most impressive and expert forum I have ever found, as I'm sure most people do.

I have to agree. Seriously, how can one argue about the definition of "margins" with Dave or Arun? (Or anyone for that matter)

Didn't you get the memo? Just stop feeding. It will go away eventually...

Mildly off-topic: do you think there will be a GX2 version of the G92b, or will GT200 be so fast it renders such a card redundant?

Please, just ignore me. i certainly ignore most of you. There is no "attention pedestal" of my creation and it appears you give me undue attention yourself.
-If Dave or Arun sees fit to discuss margins with me - or not - that is their business and i am also qualified to discuss it - just as you are. And if i am wrong, i am glad to admit it and learn.

So far, i see very few of you discussing the message of my posts and seem to be stuck on my lack of style. i am sick to death defending my "style" and if you would stop with the "fluff", perhaps you would see the substance of my posts. Some do; many do not. i cannot help that as apoppin is stuck with a bad "reputation" you are perpetuating here.
--For the very *last time* - this is NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread; i am active in other HW factual threads here at B3D and i get way less disrespect there than i do here in the speculation thread, where *opinion is King*.
. . . Now, i *was* previously known as THE ATi FANATIC at my last forum - for 8-1/2 years; and my entire PoV has changed with the assimilation of ATi by AMD ... so frankly i am currently a little uncomfortable "supporting nvidia" - especially 'against' intel [which e4300 have in my own rig; along with an 8800GTX and HD2900 Crossfire that i switch back in and out regularly].

although i am not specifically under NDA as many of you are, i was an alpha male at my old forum and i DO have many HW contacts. The first rule of an reporter [i am paid for my own writing and am published; so what =P] is to NEVER give up a contact or info under NDA. i will simply not detail with GT-200 "means" [and it is SO obvious to me as to be silly as it refers to 'Tesla' and '2 0 0'].

Clearly GX2 is discontinued with the advent of GT200!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mildly off-topic: do you think there will be a GX2 version of the G92b, or will GT200 be so fast it renders such a card redundant?

If you're thinking of a full-on press courtship, i don't think so, no.
The 9800 GX2 will most certainly be obsolete by the time GT200 comes out, as was the 7950 GX2 circa G80 launch.

But if you're talking about a silent, OEM-only launch for single-GPU cards with the 55nm variant of G92, then it's certainly a possibility (AFAIK, both G92 and G92b are pin-compatible, so major -if any- PCB redesign is a non-issue).
Nvidia has done that before. We just need to remember silent launches such as G73-B1 and G98 as past examples of that practice within the company.

I'd say it will be discontinued. Suppose the GTX 280 trounces the GX2. GT200 is a big chip, so there will be cut-down versions with some faulty units - the GTX 260. It's rumoured to have a 448bit memory bus, and I think it's cheaper to manufacture such a card than a GX2. GX2 will be available for some time after GT200 launches, but unless nVidia decides to sell it for a bargain price, I don't think there will be a reason why to choose a GX2 over the new GTX 260/280.

Eventually - if the 4870x2 comes close [or if the x4 beats it], definitely sooner [imo]. However, GT 20 is a big GPU and it's Gx2 will likely show itself later after their next die shrink. There appears to be a "need" for these types of cards as an alternative to buying SLi and a SLi MB.

The current 9800Gx2 has already served its purpose - to crush the other sandwich card, 3870x2 - and it will be discontinued as soon as GT 200 surpasses it performance-wise.

edit:

Oops, you are saying "92b"
- nope .. Tesla architecture beats it

Last edited by a moderator:
apoppin - I used to be in your shoes. I took a step back and said - enough of this, there's no reason to get in useless arguments, especially not on B3D. Lesson learned: listen more, talk less.

I got the 240 streamprocessors confirmed today for GT200. As well as the 512-bit memory interface and 1GB memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back