NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no question the GT200 will be a monster chip. I don't know the exact die size, but NVIO says it all.
apoppin, I think you'll be surprised, because GT200 will launch sooner than R700. Rumours point towards R700 being released later than single-chip variants (RV770).

There's no question the GT200 will be a monster chip. I don't know the exact die size, but NVIO says it all.
apoppin, I think you'll be surprised, because GT200 will launch sooner than R700. Rumours point towards R700 being released later than single-chip variants (RV770).

well, i am NOT surprised - since GT200 was taped out in December and is just waiting for a final clock
--that means that nVidia will release GT200 when they feel like it - there is ZERO reason to wait if AMD is late [again =P]

will AMD really be late is the question? .. Probably
--and that is *never* a good sign for performance, imo

if so, then nVidia wins this round .. again =(
imo

well, i am NOT surprised - since GT200 was taped out in December and is just waiting for a final clock
--that means that nVidia will release GT200 when they feel like it - there is ZERO reason to wait if AMD is late [again =P]

will AMD really be late is the question? .. Probably
--and that is *never* a good sign for performance, imo

if so, then nVidia wins this round .. again =(
imo

Wait, what happened to Nvidia was finished with GT200 long ago but just waiting around for AMD to do something? Didn't we keep hearing that?

I guess all the sudden that's out the door, since now Nvidia will be first? Now it's the reverse, and there is "zero" reason for Nvidia to wait? Huh? Contradict much?

AMD looks to be a little "late" and it's disappointing given speculation they would release first a few weeks ago, but you cant seriously be comparing 2-3 weeks "late" to HD2900 being six MONTHS late..

Wait, what happened to Nvidia was finished with GT200 long ago but just waiting around for AMD to do something? Didn't we keep hearing that?

I guess all the sudden that's out the door, since now Nvidia will be first? Now it's the reverse, and there is "zero" reason for Nvidia to wait? Huh? Contradict much?

AMD looks to be a little "late" and it's disappointing given speculation they would release first a few weeks ago, but you cant seriously be comparing 2-3 weeks "late" to HD2900 being six MONTHS late..
Are you sure that RV770 is late? I believe it would be on schedule of Q3 more than late... :cool:

The rumour has it that RV770 made it way earlier than what was plan.... that was I could remember about the RV770 stroy. Anyway, I might be wrong too.

This article summarizes nicely the release schedule of GT200 and ATI's a bit as well. Looks like it will be GT200 first... a welcome surprise for those looking to buy the highest performing parts of the two (given the same card type... x2 vs. x2, etc.):

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37453/135/

"highest" if assumptions going around are correct, anyway.
Some veeery interesting stuff in there. If we believe tgdaily then a single RV770 will perform on a par with or better than a 3870x2, but sell for $250; that would be a pretty significant price/performance jump.

GT200 combined with QX9650 OC is supposed to reach more than P13k in 3DMVantage.

I was never too interested/concerned with 3dmark scores in the first place (luckily this aint the XS forum), so could someone give me a comparable setup that scores around the rumoured GT200 3DMV score?

It'd be somewhere between GF9800GTX SLI and GF9800GTX 3-Way-SLI.

Impressive but long overdue.

So is nVIDIA going back to its old naming scheme? i.e something like Geforce Ti, MX?
They did mention that their current naming scheme is messed up so what ever they come up with next for GT200 should be much better than the cr@p we have now.

Some veeery interesting stuff in there. If we believe tgdaily then a single RV770 will perform on a par with or better than a 3870x2, but sell for $250; that would be a pretty significant price/performance jump.

And it sounds like I may yet again go with ATI as the $/preformance sounds better. Still I think I may jump to Nvidia since it has been forever since I got an nvidia card and I want one irrationally this time.

no .. of course not

nVidia does "their own thing"; but they are "famous" for not "over-engineering" their GPUs and seem content to just beat AMD without trying for another over-engineered x1900/x1950 series which was performance leader but didn't have a lot of "margin" for ATi

Formerly , it appeared *logical* for nVidia to "wait"and dump all their old g80/g90/g92b stock. Now that it appears they have mostly done so, there is NO POINT to wait for AMD - any longer - as it appears that AMD really is late.
--Whenever, AMD is late, it means that their clocks are probably unsatisfactory [unless they really are devious this time; and want to see GT200 clock first; but that is highly unlikely as r700 doesn't appear to be as powerful as we - at least i - had hoped]

nope, i am not comparing the wait for HD2900xt .. i was one of those who DID wait six months - till last May, when i got it on sale for $330 with Orange Box included. i also bought an 8800GTS-640MBoc at the same time to benchmark against each other and kept the 2900xt [and got another OC'd Pro for Crossfire a few months ago - it is slightly faster than my 8800GTX and also cost a bit less than a new GTX - $480 for HD2900 crossfire]

HOWEVER, it IS amd, and they *STILL could be* six months late
=P
- nVidia would be NUTS to "wait"; they did not wait to introduce G80 [unfortunately; their drivers were a mess for 6 months, anyway]

of course there are the AMD apologists that were not expecting r700/r770 until q3 .. in THAT case, AMD may be early - but not really in time for the big OEM orders if it really is late Q2! AMD needs to get HW out as quickly as possible and they evidently are well aware of that need.

AMD competes ONLY on price again .. this round
[another apoppin R&S]

GeForce GTX 200 Series:
- GeForce GTX 280
- GeForce GTX 260
As long as is is not GTX 2600, GTX 2900, GTX 3800, GTX 4800 =P
RotFL

Last edited by a moderator:
apoppin, I'm far from being a style nazi but if your intent with all the markup in your posts is to communicate your tone or emphasis it's not having the expected effect. At least for me, your point is usually lost in the sea of asterisks, quotes, capitals and italics. Remember you're writing for other people to read too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back