Dolby Headphone

vazel

Regular
I just wanted to bring this to the attention of people with good quality headphones but no 5.1 setup(or you just want an alternative for those late night movie/gaming sessions). It's really neat, it takes a 5.1 signal and simulates it into your headphones(don't dismiss this as a cheap audio processing effect, I was skeptical too but it's a really nice effect!). The effect only works with good quality headphones. If you have WinDVD/PowerDVD you have the option for it in there. Or you can buy a standalone DH device, the most popular being SU-DH1 which you connect toslink to.

Here is 1up's review of a standalone DH device, the JVC SU-DH1, you can connect any device that has toslink to it(i.e. x360).
Here are samples from Dolby's site(there are two link samples, one for movies and one for games).
Here is a Dolby Headphone overview article.

JVC SU-DH1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but holophonics/binaural audio is an expensive process that has to be recorded specifically as holophonics/binaural audio through specially arranged microphones. Dolby Headphone works on all 5.1.

Something I could actually see myself buying in the future, maybe. Its from JVC who actually have experience making high quality headphones and at $100 for this I would say some thought has gone into it. Maybe, hmm.

in the game demos its a bit unfair to compare it to plain stereo
they should of compared it to directsound 3d
it sort of widens the stereo field left/right positioning is good but front/back is poor
i have a3d demos that are much better in that respect

of course dolby headphone can be done in software maybe they will release a dll or something for people who want it

Davros, it seems you have missunderstood what Dolby Headpone is. Dolby Headpone is DSP routines used to format stereo and surround sound signals for output to stereo headphones. Hence the comparison to plain stereo, as that is what you'd have to settle for when using stereo headpones with without such DSP routines. DirectSound3D and A3D on the other hand are not DSP routines, but rather APIs, and as such can't rightly be compared to Dolby Headpone.

I've been looking at these things earlier, but I've always looked at stuff that really has additional speakers positioned around your ear. These should almost always sound much better. Back when I looked for them they were far too expensive still, but it looks like they are coming down a bit in price. This one seems reasonable for instance, though of course I don't know anything about its quality, but this one seems to work well for gaming use and even comes with built in rumble apparently :D

TRITTON introduces the Audio Xtreme 360 (AX360), one of the industry’s first high performance Dolby Digital and Pro Logic certified digital gaming headset for Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, Mac/PC and DVD players. The AX360 provides true 5.1 digital, 360-degree surround sound with a detachable microphone.

The headset connects to the gaming console optical port to deliver optimum Dolby certified 2.1 and 5.1 digital sound separation. For a radical and extreme gaming experience, the unit features eight strategically placed speakers, four in each ear cup. The external 5.1 audio controller amplifies each individual speaker to completely engulf users into the game. The AX360 gives total control with inline adjustments for front, rear, center and subwoofer to customize the users own audio experience. The integrated rumble effect will blow your mind, giving you a more realistic and immersed game play.

With the AX360 gamers can hear when enemies are sneaking up behind them, the roar of engines as they pass the competition, bullets flying from side to side, and explosions emitting from all directions over the battlefield. With the detachable microphone that is XBOX Live compatible, gamers can communicate with other gamers directly from the headset. The sound box can support two headsets to share in the chaos. (Secondary headsets sold separately.) Connect to a PC via an optical port or 5.1 analog outputs through the G9 adapter provided. The AX360 is not only the perfect gaming headset, it is also ideal for enjoying DVD movies in crystal clear 5.1 Dolby Digital certified sound.

well eax is a dsp routine as well as an api ;)
in fact i reckon you could do something similar by programming the emu dsp

and as for its use in games if the game uses any sort of hrtf you would be better using those

I've been looking at these things earlier, but I've always looked at stuff that really has additional speakers positioned around your ear. These should almost always sound much better. Back when I looked for them they were far too expensive still, but it looks like they are coming down a bit in price. This one seems reasonable for instance, though of course I don't know anything about its quality, but this one seems to work well for gaming use and even comes with built in rumble apparently :D
There is a reason the name brands don't make 5.1 headphones. You will get far better quality by using good quality stereo headphones like Sennheiser and Dolby Headphone.

Some software DVD players allow you to virtualise speakers using Dolby Headphone. Similarly, some software DVD players allow you to virtualise speakers using Directsound 3D. In the latter case, the quality of the end result depends on your sound card's positional sound routines.

Using speaker virtualisation may be beneficial not only for multi-channel content but also for stereo content, because it can get rid of the "inside the head" impression.

There is a reason the name brands don't make 5.1 headphones. You will get far better quality by using good quality stereo headphones like Sennheiser and Dolby Headphone.

I'm a huge Sennheiser fan, but the fact is, even the crappiest of crappiest 5 speaker surround system is going to have better surround than the best of the best stereo speakers. I know, because I know someone who has the latter (gold cables and all), and I have a now near ancient (1992) example of the former ... though I've kept the ancient (30+ year old) wharfdales that I have as left and right speakers in shape by replacing the tweaters when they broke down.

Seriously, of course you're not going to get a perfect sound, but I know which one will actually be able to tell me if something is coming up from behind and how fast.

I've actually used 5.1 headphones(I had the Zalman 5.1). And any audio enthusiast will tell you that 5.1 headphones are crap. Here is a headphones enthusiast forum you may want to invest some time in. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/index.php

Not only is the audio quality not good(they do have to stick more than two speakers in them) but I just don't see how the physical 5.1 speakers smacked up against your head can provide good 5.1 positioning. A part of how good 5.1 positioning works is how the audio travels to our ears. Dolby Headphone takes that into account when it virtualizes 5.1(you can even choose from three 'room sizes' when it virtualizes).

Sorry, I just don't buy that.

Incidentally, I don't seem to be the only one: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/battlemodo/wireless-surround+sound-headphone-battlemodo-326638.php

I know all about the difference in quality. I have yet to even hear chordless headphones without any distortion whatsoever (my hearing is incredibly sensitive to hi-pitched sounds, as has shown up in some audio tests, though unfortunately I also have a low-range weakness in there somewhere), and have generally treated my ears well (no big concerts, few big discos, no in-ear headphones, etc.)

I used to have a pair of really good wired Sennheiser's (wanted wireless first, but I tried several and decided that the wired one were so far superior) and have lived with those for a long time. Unfortunately I lost them at a LAN party of all places (not initially, but then someone that kept them for me lost them) and haven't had the money to spare to get a replacement (HD265 I believe), so now I have a cheaper HD 201, which really is much worse but I can live with it (open ear is best, but I need cover as that's why I want these in the first place - block out the other sounds without damaging my ears).

The old headphones were dangerous though - you could increase their loudness and at some point it would just hurt, but that's the only thing you could tell they were too loud by - no crackle, hiss, distortion, just more volume. Loved that thing. Talking about it makes me want to go out and buy one again (but I won't, I'd rather have a 2nd PS3 or something ;) ).

Having started with Surround early (as said, got my first five speaker set in 1992, and hooked it up to a friend's LaserDisc, THX sound on Terminator 2 was awesome), this is one aspect I really know about and care about too. If I'm in a cinema and one of the surround speakers doesn't work, I typically pick it up immediately, but it's something no-one else I know ever has. I can really appreciate awesome quality sound, but a two speaker system can never beat one with four or more. Sure in headphones it may be impossible to match the quality of sound of a two speaker set, but the quality of the surround is bound to be almost infinitely better on the four speaker system (provided its decoder isn't whack).

but the quality of the surround is bound to be almost infinitely better on the four speaker system
Not when it's that close to your head. I'm sorry but despite your claims about knowing what your talking about your views on this are amateurish and goes against common knowledge amongst audio enthusiasts. I would suggest you spend some time reading on some audio forums.

One term you want to pay special attention to reading about is HRTF.

EDIT: maybe you're right, I'll be googling a bit more. :)

Initial impressions though seems that this is not getting a lot of attention on most forums, and HRTF is out-of-date as a useful algorithm.

well eax is a dsp routine as well as an api ;)
No, EAX is a colection of DSP routines which have been made avalable within the DirectSound3D API, and more recently though the OpenAL API.
in fact i reckon you could do something similar by programming the emu dsp
You are far from the first to reckon that, Creative calls it CMSS-3D Headphone.
and as for its use in games if the game uses any sort of hrtf you would be better using those
Nah, the sort formated for two speakers towards the front is less than optimal for listening to with a headphone at either side, hence the reasons we have headphone processing methods.

Sorry, I just don't buy that.

Incidentally, I don't seem to be the only one: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/battlemodo/wireless-surround+sound-headphone-battlemodo-326638.php
Those aren't 5.1 headsets. ;)

:oops:

err... I don't see how a science about how we perceive sound positioning can be out of date...

Sorry, I came across a number of software technologies to reproduce surround, and this one was mentioned as one that was superseded by among others the apparently superior Dolby tech.

Incidentally, the Zalman's you mentioned seem to work, but only at (according to reviews too) high volume levels.

@kyleb: indeed. I'm googling and getting wiser by the minute. ;)

Sorry, I came across a number of software technologies to reproduce surround, and this one was mentioned as one that was superseded by among others the apparently superior Dolby tech.
I'm sorry but I don't think you understand what you're talking about... HRTF is a science upon which all surround sound virtualization techniques are based on.

Dolby Headphone was first commercialized in a couple of Sharp MD players - it was then a scheme for trying to create the impression of stereo reproduction from headphones. That is, it used crossfeeding, time delay and whatnot to try to reduce the "in-head" effect when reproducing stereo source material binaurally.
I don't know why it never got wide spread - it did a decent job, as far as these things go. Liscensing cost? Processing cost? (I used to be quite into binaural recording and reproduction, and so was also interested in these schemes. I subsequently ceased to care.).

So they have extended the designation to include 5.1 source material now. Or rather - in 2002-2003 according to the linked material.
It seems they have still largely failed to find liscensees during the last 5 years.

Thanks for the heads up. I may try to order it from the states somehow - the JVC SU-DH1 is not sold in my country.

Back