barts p.e boot cd
knoppix live cd

help...
everything in here

about that takedown program there is no download link

as for that other program

Last edited by a moderator:
about that takedown program there is no download link
It's in a resource kit somewhere. As with most of these, you'll find it plenty of places if you google it.

BTW: What are you trying to do? Revert to XP from a Vista/XP dual boot configuration?

yes sort of
i had xp on c:
installed another hard drive and decided to put vista on on it
but vista setup after copying files said your pc is unable to boot from this drive so i cancelled the install

the strange thing is i can drag that file into any folder i want

Check if there are any open handles for the file with ProcessExplorer from MS Sysinternals.

If there are, close them and try deleting the file.

Edit: Uhh, nevermind.. I see you've tried many exotic methods of removal outside of Windows.

Why don't you try to reinstall Vista?

you are aware vista was being installed on a different hard drive ?
and it wont install it says your computer cannot boot of this drive

you are aware vista was being installed on a different hard drive ?
and it wont install it says your computer cannot boot of this drive

Reinstall Vista and set the computer to boot off the hard drive you installed Vista to.

i cant install vista i moved the hdd to another pc (the only hdd in it) and the install still says your pc cannot boot from this drive

yes the file i want to delete is on my c: drive that contains my operating system

if your refering to the other drive that i cant install vista on ive used the partion program on the windows xp cd + the vista cd + and even partition manager

i tried it

it could rename it though but only if i slected rename on next boot

delete on next boot didnt work either

Plug the harddisk into another computer (not as boot device, of course) and try to delete it there.

i dont think that would work as ive allready booted into linux and that couldnt delete it
neither could solaris

Are there any integrity check tools, that can detect if there's a file allocation table (or whatever the NTFS equivalent) corruption or something similar? If all the different OS deal with it the exact same way, the only thing I can think of is that it's something like that - it has to be at the filesystem level.

Back