Tomb Raider: Underworld

I ran into a game ending bug in the first ten minutes. The first scene on the boat after the prologue. Every time I jumped into the water I got sucked towards the center of the boat, I could not swim down or away. I tried to reload the save and the also quit the game, no go. I had to restart the game, but it worked fine after that.

I ran into a game ending bug in the first ten minutes. The first scene on the boat after the prologue. Every time I jumped into the water I got sucked towards the center of the boat, I could not swim down or away. I tried to reload the save and the also quit the game, no go. I had to restart the game, but it worked fine after that.

Gah I was thinking of eventually picking this up in the bargain bin, but if there's a show stopper like that later on, it'll be Bioshock PC version all over again. With me 3/4 of the way finished but no way to finish the game due to a game stopping bug that they acknowledge but won't fix.

Regards,
SB

Gah I was thinking of eventually picking this up in the bargain bin, but if there's a show stopper like that later on, it'll be Bioshock PC version all over again. With me 3/4 of the way finished but no way to finish the game due to a game stopping bug that they acknowledge but won't fix.

Has it been confirmed that there are game ending bugs? I hadn't heard about that. I just got the game as well and I'm really liking it, runs smooth as butter and the gameplay is great so far. Graphics are a nice upgrade from the previous game as well, it's definitely worth getting. Sure hope there are no show stopper bugs later on though :(

What version was this? I know I'd seen something that sounds similar to this on PS3 with some older firmware where there was a rare corner case which seemed to related to something weird in the initial state -- we were getting a stuck button message even though there was nothing actually wrong with the controller itself. Either way, it kept getting the message that you wanted to do something else which was actually different from the real controller state. That, too, we hardly ever noticed the bug in testing because it only happened in wireless mode and most of us would keep our controllers wired all the time.

Either way, this was fixed when we updated the firmwares on our devkits and test kits. I forget which version it was offhand (other than that it was a 1.x version), but it was released before the game itself actually came out on the shelves, so no one should see it unless they hardly ever update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it been confirmed that there are game ending bugs? I hadn't heard about that. I just got the game as well and I'm really liking it, runs smooth as butter and the gameplay is great so far. Graphics are a nice upgrade from the previous game as well, it's definitely worth getting. Sure hope there are no show stopper bugs later on though :(

I dunno, I was just wondering myself if DrJay24 just had an isolated incident or if it's more widespread. I don't want to play through 3/4 of a game again and then not be able to finish.

Regards,
SB

I dunno, I was just wondering myself if DrJay24 just had an isolated incident or if it's more widespread. I don't want to play through 3/4 of a game again and then not be able to finish.
He mentions it happening at the opening of the very first level, though. Note that the mansion at the beginning is more like a training mini-level that serves only to open up the story, so I'm not really counting it as a level.

I'm not sure if he's seeing that weird PS3 condition we saw with a certain firmware version, but otherwise, a show stopper that early under that certain a condition (he mentions it happening when he entered the water, which is the first thing you have to do to get anywhere in that level) would have been spotted -- if not by Crystal's QA, then the console manufacturer would have caught it in TRC testing.

I remember having to go through several tests of this sort of thing and also doing quite a chunk of TRC fixes myself, and other than the stuck button one, I never really ran into a single show-stopper. Then again, it's really not my problem anymore if there is one... for that matter, there isn't anyone left whose job it would be to do something about it.

I doubt the boat/water bug I found is widespread, I've never read about it. I'll search around and see if I can find any references to it. It was a strange bug, it seemed like my save game got stuck in that state.

Edit: Found one post via google, same issue.

Okay I just started this game. I swam down and got a treasure. I swam back up to the boat. I then decided to jump back into the water and now the boat is like a magnet to me!! I can't dive, I can't swim from under the boat, I can't get back onto the boat. I have to kill myselft with the bombs so that I can start over from the boat. But then I can't do anything!! Once I jump back into the water I am then again "attached" to the boat!!!

Anyone else having this trouble with this stupid game!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/tombraider8/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-46854921&pid=936842

Sad to hear about people's lay-offs :( !
Well, it ultimately came about as it was really impossible to support multiple teams the way we were going. So they basically said we're not supporting the Montreal team on Deus Ex anymore -- they'll take the code and run with it however they want to -- we're not doing any more DLC or patches on TRU, we're not going to go into production on anything new... it's just 100% "TR9".

What that basically meant for the layoff is that anyone working on anything that wasn't directly for "TR9" and "TR9" alone was laid off. I also fell under that umbrella, but I've moved on.

I doubt the boat/water bug I found is widespread, I've never read about it. I'll search around and see if I can find any references to it. It was a strange bug, it seemed like my save game got stuck in that state.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/tombraider8/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-46854921&pid=936842
Hmmm... well if there is something that's changing the game state to make that boat area to misbehave in some way, it makes sense that it wouldn't be affected by dying and restarting the level. Restarting the level from the previous checkpoint after death only resets a few script-driven states, but very little else. Restarting the whole game would start fresh. That said, I don't know of any element placed within the level that is even capable of doing that in the first place.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_8240_en.html#forum

TR taking a new direction ! Awesome, I think :) !
Well, the specifics of this new direction aren't officially confirmed, so I won't say much about that, but it had technically been announced quite some time ago that it would be a full reboot of the series. Main motivation, though, is basically the realization that trying to keep some element of the past games is a losing battle. There's really no place for it in the current market and trying to combine the modern with the old makes for appeal only to a minor niche who are willing to think about games in context, and rousing ire from a yet smaller niche who think it can't be TR unless Lara wears a braid.

Most impressive thing for me when I watched through many of the demos was how quickly they'd managed to get a lot of concepts into actual implementation. Sure, there were levels that had no textures or anything on them, but that's just the nature of preproduction and getting concepts into a playable phase early and worrying about polish for a very long time. Given that with the transition to agile/scrum concepts, we'd end up automatically throwing away 2 out of every 10 work days towards meetings, and that was the big apprehension everybody had about switching to scrum... it was quite something that there was a whole lot of workable samples, some which actually had full artwork and everything within just 3 months after TRU.

A re-bbot is exciting but its also a shame in a way. I'll like the old game style. Tomb raider really should be about "raiding tomb's" and other historical exploration type stuff.

Still, I really enjoyed Legend and i'm expecting to enjoy underworld when I finally get to play it so I have high hopes for the new game.

I'm disappointed to see the course TR is going. I guess the Tomb Raider exploration action-adventure gameplay is now dead. Everything has to be bang bang boom these days.

I'm disappointed to see the course TR is going. I guess the Tomb Raider exploration action-adventure gameplay is now dead. Everything has to be bang bang boom these days.

If you're talking about the rumored open worlded new game, then you'll probably get even more of what you want.

So they basically said we're not supporting the Montreal team on Deus Ex anymore -- they'll take the code and run with it however they want to -- we're not doing any more DLC or patches on TRU, we're not going to go into production on anything new... it's just 100% "TR9".

Ack does that mean Deus Ex 3 was cancelled? Now I wonder about the next Thief game. Granted Deus Ex 2 was a steaming pile of poo, but there was always hope that it would return back to its roots.

Regards,
SB

Ack does that mean Deus Ex 3 was cancelled? Now I wonder about the next Thief game. Granted Deus Ex 2 was a steaming pile of poo, but there was always hope that it would return back to its roots.
No, Deus Ex 3 is still active, until someone says otherwise. It's just that Crystal isn't providing any support for them directly (short of being a tome of knowledge for them if necessary). They are basically branched off a version of the codebase and the engine code that is exclusively theirs, and they'll just run with it and do whatever they want like any other middleware licensee. They won't be going to Crystal for engine or core tools level feature requests or support tickets. That said, Nixxes is still supporting them, so that relationship hasn't changed, AFAIK.

Thief is way too early on to really be able to say anything, and we were never really supporting them to begin with since there was nothing to support. Even by the time of the layoff, I'd yet to lay eyes on a single art asset for Thief 4 (not even concept), whereas Deus Ex has actually had a bunch of internal demos and milestones.

If you're talking about the rumored open worlded new game, then you'll probably get even more of what you want.
Open world survival horror. And I don't think open world would necessarily make TR's exploration aspects better. It could could just as easily dilute it. I like the way TR games progress. TR was almost a genre of its own. You would sometimes see people describe other games as TR-like(unfortunately they were often wrong like when some said Uncharted was TR-like except Uncharted has a heavy emphasis on shooting).

I'll wait and see on the next game with how they handle the open world and survival horror. There are two definitions of survival horror. There's the old one which relied on scarcity of resources and fewer enemies to build tension and the new one introduced with RE4 which has much more action. I hope they go with the old definition.

TR doesn't need a reboot, TR just needs more polish the next time. I thought Underworld was a great game despite some of the obvious flaws. Even got my Platinum Trophy recently.

Some of the levels in TR Underworld were absolutely stunning. How many Thailand or Mexico caliber set pieces can you really expect in an open world TR if you don't throw 400 people and a boat-load of time at it?

Besides, didn't the game sell 2.5 million copies? I think a lot of developers would be quite thrilled with numbers like that.

Back