Tomb Raider: Underworld

So I am borrowing a friends 360 right now and after having played the demo thats exclusive to the 360 I can see why it sold more on the PS3 which didn't get the demo. Controls are still looser than ever, camera is horrendous and times, and it still feels all over the place. I'm glad I didn't jump to purchase this because of the trophies. Now that I've played the demo I doubt I ever even rent the full game.

I thought the X360 demo was great, no problem with the camera whatsoever since you can control the camera yourself. Controls worked flawlessly and very responsive. I'm not sure which demo you played but I was ready to buy the game if it weren't for my "Don't buy games at full price" rule.

Having played Tomb Raider Anniversary just before this, the camera and controls in Underworld just didn't measure up, and the puzzles were just frustratingly ambiguous. The graphics in Underworld are outstanding, but the gameplay is just lacking some QA and polish that was present in Anniversary (or, for that matter, Prince of Persia).

I saw some of this problem in the demo, but it was worse in the early levels of the retail game (which precede the demo). Just a lack of direction or visual clues, the occasional camera glitch or unhelpful angle, Lara stumbling over nothing quite a lot, etc. The early levels really do not encourage the player to continue. Anniversary had none of these issues.

Ummm... I have a pretty good idea what he was referring to and that particular quote isn't really talking about anything that actually was planned for the DLC, but rather a whole lot of generic stuff that hypothetically *could have been* deferred into DLC levels (for that matter, we were thinking about a lot of features that got cut and deferring them into patches as well). When actually devising the specific DLC levels, ultimately it was deemed a better idea to make them separate from the game in order to actually construct them as "extras" and not "missing components." Essentially making the cuts genuinely cut. Besides which, a choice like that is only logical given that the only reason DLC packs even exist in this day and age is to extend replay value for some extra dollars (which in turn is all about making game development as a whole financially a little bit more feasible).

The types of production issues he's talking about are also pretty generic, and the cuts happened a lot earlier than you're probably thinking. It's basically the same stuff that causes stuff to get cut out of every other game that ever has been or ever will be made.

You answered your own question. And that's to say nothing of the fact that another few months is tantamount to spending that much more money while the economy gets that much worse. It's not as though people weren't aware that the f'ed up economy would have thrown sales of luxury items like games into a downward spiral, but that we were well beyond the point-of-no-return by the time the worst of it all had transpired.

Yes, well, when the misunderstanding rate approaches 100% and people extend things towards conspiracies and dark shady dealings between wealthy fat cats wearing wily grins on their faces while reciting Satanic hymns... well, that's where it becomes a well-founded admonition. Most of the cynicism comes not because people are necessarily skeptical, but because they're unwilling to realize that things aren't simple... They see a host of problems on the surface, but nothing deeper than that, and rather than attribute a variety of problematic results to a variety of causes which have various causes of their own (something that is far too complicated for their feeble minds), they look for one point of blame from which to extrapolate everything. And it is from this kind mindlessness that the defecations of bulls spew out in massive quantities.

You should be in scriptwriting lol. You sound like some crazed super villain rolling speeches off his tongue. :LOL:

Or someone who's just seen 30 of their friends and colleagues given the golden handshake, if they themselves weren't in that group.

Congratulations for devs for this tittle !
I begin to play this game and i love it (since 1996),everything is vibrant (controlls,lights,textures,shaders effects etc) and Lara still hot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Yatzee lost his touch long time ago. In any case, I'll finally be playing TRU tonight. Let's see if it's indeed as bad as everyone says it is.

It's not. The camera can be a real pain and calling the fighting system lacklustre would be a compliment (but as there are hardly any enemies in the game so it doesn't really matter all that much), but when it comes to exploring gorgeous, exotic and enormous open-ended environments Lara Croft is still in a league of her own.
Have fun with your game.

It's not. The camera can be a real pain and calling the fighting system lacklustre would be a compliment (but as there are hardly any enemies in the game so it doesn't really matter all that much), but when it comes to exploring gorgeous, exotic and enormous open-ended environments Lara Croft is still in a league of her own.
Have fun with your game.

Until you hit one of the numerous game ending bugs such as an auto save of you falling off a cliff, a game load that makes objects fall into place side ways, and quest items that don't activate upon pickup. Those are the 3 i experienced during my amazing play thru up until Mexico where I could no longer take it. Word of advice make about 400 saves per level.

I'll consider myself lucky then, noticed many glitches, but none that were futil to the game or its completion (well, except for one spot, but I overcame that one over trying for 5 hours...).

I played a good amount last night. My first TR since TR2.

Environments are gorgeous indeed, with poor looking character models, including Lara. Framerate (on PS3) fluctuates between decent and slideshow depending on the load. Still very much playable though.

Individual animations aren't that bad, but animation transitions are some of the worse I've seen in recent memory. Control hints are terrible. I press a button, hint disappears, never to be seen again.

Platforming aids aren't great either and fighting the controls seems quite frequent, especially given how bad camera work is. However, it isn't that big of an issue since you can take your time during most platforming sections. They could definitely use some time to improve on animation and platforming code, and that's an understatement. Platforming mechanics on the other hand, is much more varied than that other game, and I approve.

Human combat is indeed terrible. It feels way worse than what I remember. Fortunately I haven't seen much more of it after the ship level. I think Lara would be even better of with hack and slash combat than what it is right now. Whatever the case, Lara should have been much better at melee.

Checkpoint and autosaving is almost perfect. Level design is indeed great most of the time, though what you are supposed to do sometimes feels unnatural. The presentation doesn't explain those well. Fortunately on-demand field assist,which I now prefer over the timed hints, remedies some part of the problem.

I don't really like exploration elements, but when you know what you're supposed to do or where you are supposed to go, platforming and puzzles becomes straightforward, yet still very much satisfying. In that sense, overall TR is much better at the things it does best, than that other game that we shall not speak of. Unfortunately it's terrible at the remaining stuff.

Also, I cannot shake of the feeling that often I'm spending too much time at the same spot, even though there is continues progress. It feels a little cheap.

Still, I'm very much enjoying it right now. It clearly deserves better sales.

On an unrelated note, some music underwater or inside ruins sounds exactly like Oblivion, which makes me crave for another TES game so badly. :(

Its still sitting in my queue to be played. I'm really looking forward to it tbh but having a tough time getting the motivation to finish Assasins Creed atm.

Back